PDA

View Full Version : Powder and accuracy

Pages : 1 [2]

CFJunkie
05-07-2022, 10:26 AM
RMR makes a 69 grain HPBT that is almost identical to the Sierra 69 SMK #1380.
The RMR bullets produced a 0.007 larger 5-round group average than the 69 SMK with the same powder in my Savage 12 FV .223 bolt action - just under 0.300 inches for 15 groups.
More importantly for those trying to keep costs down, they are a whole lot cheaper.

They are available on-line from RMR. Two of my buddies have bought over 3,000 rounds between them and they swear by them.

charlie b
05-07-2022, 04:44 PM
Yep, if I were shooting the .223 more I'd get the RMR bullets. But, I don't, so I keep shooting the 77gnSMK's that I already have.

When I want to spend money on bullets I buy Bergers for my .308 ;) Otherwise I shoot cast bullets. Much cheaper bullets and a lot less powder. :) Just can't reach out to 1000yd with them :)

CFJunkie
05-08-2022, 07:58 AM
Me too, charlie b, but I have lots of 77 SMKs and TMKs and they shoot slightly better in my 12 FV than the 69s so I am not looking for any more 69s, even if the RMRs are a bargain and shoot almost as well as the 69 SMKs #1380.
However, of late, the 69 SMKs are showing a slight improvement in accuracy with N140 powder, I have lots of N140 and lots of the 69 SMKs also.
Maybe I am shooting more carefully now that powder, bullets and primers are difficult to replace.
I am also only shooting 50 rounds per trip to the range, so I won't run out.
Maybe I am not losing concentration - I tend to do that during long sessions.

charlie b
05-08-2022, 08:25 AM
Interesting you bring that up. I am also shooting fewer rounds per trip to the range and find I am shooting more consistently.

I am a lot more picky about my cast bullets since I don't want to 'waste' any primers. That means more bullets put back in the pot, but, fewer fliers and smaller groups.

pdshooter2
05-08-2022, 12:48 PM
Me too, charlie b, but I have lots of 77 SMKs and TMKs and they shoot slightly better in my 12 FV than the 69s so I am not looking for any more 69s, even if the RMRs are a bargain and shoot almost as well as the 69 SMKs #1380.
However, of late, the 69 SMKs are showing a slight improvement in accuracy with N140 powder, I have lots of N140 and lots of the 69 SMKs also.
Maybe I am shooting more carefully now that powder, bullets and primers are difficult to replace.
I am also only shooting 50 rounds per trip to the range, so I won't run out.
Maybe I am not losing concentration - I tend to do that during long sessions.

your 12 fv is no where near the rifle he is shooting, barely in context

wbm
05-08-2022, 12:57 PM
True.

Mr.Snerdly
05-08-2022, 08:38 PM
I wonder if I was mixed up. I am wondering if I didn't have my bullets mixed up. I shot a few with Hornady 52 grain ELD today and it actually shot a little better than the Remington. I was using CFE 223 powder though. That is my favorite for this caliber but like so many other things, just can't find it. I might have 1# left and really wish things would get back to normal with regard to primers, powders and even some bullets. One group was 1/2" and the other just under 3/8", Really not bad and this was with the much less powerful scope, although I am not quite sure that is a disadvantage. It is a Redfield Revolution and it is actually a little clearer than the higher power scope. I might just leave it on.

CFJunkie
05-09-2022, 07:43 AM
Hornady ELDs have always performed great for me, in any caliber I have tried.
Your problems with H335 could have just been a bad day.
It happens.
It isn't always the rifle or the scope.
Glad to hear you've got it back into a good place.

Higher power scopes, especially with 1-inch tubes, often have some problems maintaining high contrast at high power, especially in early morning light. To me, it makes the image look less clear, but then again, I have lousy vision.
On my most accurate rifles, I've switched to 30mm tube NightForce Benchrest scopes - 8-32x56mm. They cost more but my results are better.
Those large front objectives gather light even when it is early and cloudy, but you have to be sure to get higher rings to keep the front objective from touching the barrel.

Mr.Snerdly
05-09-2022, 08:13 AM
^^^I have noticed if I don't have it on maximum magnification it seems a little clearer. I am pretty sure if I spent more money on equipment I could do a little better but I try to keep costs down. It is a 30 MM tube and I think a good scope for the money, especially with the sales they had on them, roughly $225 with all the rebates compared to a list price of around $600. Even then I have spent more on this hobby than I figured I would but I do enjoy it and there are a lot of other hobbies that are far mre expensive.

pdshooter2
05-09-2022, 11:49 AM
you cannot skimp on scopes if you want real accuracy.
spend once and never look back, a 30 mm tube on a night force luepold nikon

having said that you need to buy at the top end of each make.

the redfield is pretty much the bottom of lue line.
they all have multiple lines so jsut the name aint the answer( except for nightforce, march valdada)

Mr.Snerdly
05-09-2022, 01:32 PM
^^^^I agree on scopes being very necessary to accuracy and I even did spend $500 on a Leupold. All of my others are les than $300, most far less but over $200 I believe. Spending $100 on a scope and expecting quality is foolish. It is a very nice scope but I just can't see putting one like that on every rifle I have. The Redfield Revolution seems just as clear as the Luepold but it isn't as high of magnification either. Leupold made the Redfield Revolution and it is a heck of a scope for what they cost. A shame they are no longer made.

charlie b
05-09-2022, 08:52 PM
Yep, if I shot competition I'd have better scopes. Since I just shoot for fun I have Savages and middle line, or even low level scopes (Vortex). But, anything close to 1/2MOA is excellent for me and my shooting skills. Maybe if my skills increase I might invest more in my equipment.

I have also had good luck with the Hornady ELD match bullets. I'd use the 75gn for the .223 but they were loaded too long for the magazine to get best groups. The .308 155gn bullets have been really good for me as well. Very tolerant of jump to the lands.

Fuj'
05-25-2022, 07:02 AM
It's a quarter after 12, Do you know where your bullet is at ??

Alright, the simple route.....A short course method. I'll use my 284-ELF wild cat for this.
Currenty in the seating process. I already had my powder chosen to be in the burn rate
I'm looking for, and as close to 100 % case fill as possible. I will set my bullet to just
touch the lands, and shoot for group (generally 3) I'm looking for a nice round group.
If I find one, I'll shoot 4 for a repeat. If it repeats, my next loads will be adjusted .003
into the lands to see if the groups close up. If they do, I'll go another .003. In my case,
this time, the extra .003 did nothing. For the time being i'm at .206" with this powder.
I can close this group up even more with a tuner, but now were getting beyond the
scope of an average shooter.

What I'm getting at is....Know how long you can load with the constraint of a magazine.
At that point you can only go backwards in seating. Some bullets shoot well with a good
jump and some suffer badly. And don't forget about matching up bullets and twist rates.