PDA

View Full Version : Quick incomplete review on Sightmark Wraith

Alderman
04-25-2022, 03:59 PM
Had a chance to try out the Wraith HD and get the .223 Axis on paper at 50 yards. Will get to the 100 yard range later.

I tried it out at night and learned a lesson. I put a couple of batteries in the IR light that came with the unit,forgetting that I’d removed them from a flashlight after they were well worn. I couldn’t see much past 40 yards and was ready to return the unit. I put fresh batteries in and it made a world of difference. The batteries that were included with the unit were swollen and I didn’t want to get them stuck in the light.

Putting the light toward the forward part of the gun would improve things more but I have no additional picatinny space on this rifle.

I started sight in at 10 yards and looked to be close to where I wanted to be so moved to 50. Dialing it in from there was easy with only a couple of small adjustments needed.

This records video and pictures in 1080 without sound. The videos are stored as an avi format so had to convert them to transfer them from my old computer.

I’d read where zooming in much caused graininess in the image but actually looked good through the view finder and better than the vids after all the electronic conversions.

The newer 4K unit available will record sound.

If I had it to do over I might opt for the 2-16X model as there will be a bigger field of view with 2X and I don’t plan on shooting past a couple hundred yards on the homestead. Most likely will never need 32X.

The set up menu is easy to use.
The menu on the 4K mini has a bunch of adjustments available to fine tune the camera (which I’ll probably never change) but the HD doesn’t. Also, no built in range finder on the HD.

Heavy unit but feels solid.

I got a good deal on a preowned Sniperhog light but the light included with the unit should work fine (if I remember to keep fresh batteries in it). for my intended use.

Will get some night time footage, hopefully soon.

Three viewing modes on the unit—Day (full color), Night (black/white) and Night (green/white). Using day mode at night, or night mode during the day doesn’t work. I learned that after a little frustration.

During sight in I wasn’t using a great rest so a bit shaky on target. I was just hoping to get close on paper and check function. The unit sits fairly high so getting a good cheek weld with this gun won’t be possible without a cheek riser. Also the unit doesn’t extend much to the rear and a cantilever mount would move it back some (but also higher). I tend to “crawl” forward on the butt stock when I shoot so the forward position works for me, the height not so much without the riser.

Shooting with this sight is different, almost like a video game view. I’ve read where eye position isn’t critical so may be more forgiving than a traditional scope.

For the difference in price between the HD and the 4K, the HD does well unless 4K video and sound recording is a deal breaker.

https://youtu.be/DtKxXT6Xb0E

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220425/da006ebd8ec7417b115dbfe2184f484f.jpeg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave Hoback
04-26-2022, 11:39 AM
That is very cool. I came very close to getting one for my last AR build. No need though. I don’t do any hunting anymore. Just shoot for fun.