PDA

View Full Version : 300 whisper barrel advice

haus
11-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Guy from another site told me about how great this site is so here I am.

I really want a 300 whisper. I currently have a 110 savage in .270 that I purchased a tactical stock for last year. I have done searches and know I will need to change the bolt head and will likely just switch to a signle shot follower to avoid feed issues. I like single shots anyway.

My questions:

Best place to pick up the barrel wrench, head, rent/buy headspace guages, and single shot follower?
Best place or way to get the 300 whisper barrel made/purchased? Needs to be 1 in 8 twist, 16-18", and bull barrel of course.

Yes this will have a can on the end and loads will be subsonic.

Awesome site. I really like the simplicity of the homemade oak barrel vices.

sha-ul
11-28-2010, 01:57 PM
I ordered my 300 whisper bbl form Shilen directly spec-ed out with 1:8 twist, however there is quite a bit of buzz lately regarding the 300 AAC blackout, or 30blk which is a standardized 300/221 that Remington is making loaded ammo for. Anyway.... there is some questions as to what minute differences there may be between the 2 rounds, other than .0004 (that's 4 ten-thousandths) difference in shoulder length& a slightly longer throat.

http://www.quarterbore.net/forums/index.php is a really good place for 300w info.

sinman
11-28-2010, 11:10 PM
I make a ton of them, in case you need someone to make you one

scope eye
12-09-2010, 07:14 AM
Hi can someone please let me in on what is they attraction is with the 300 whisper and they other variants?
thanks Dean

sha-ul
12-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Hi can someone please let me in on what is they attraction is with the 300 whisper and they other variants?
thanks Dean

there are several attractions to this round, as wildcats go, it is pretty well vetted (now standardized in the 300blk)
it is a very efficient round using from 9 grains on the low end to 20 grains for a max load.
it is a very versatile round shooting almost any bullet made for the 30cal, from 110 grain plinkers to 240 grn for good subsonic rounds.
the brass is readily made from 223 brass, which is cheap& plentiful.
with the small volume of powder used, muzzle blast should be mild& suppresses very well (even though I do not have a can yet)
I hope that hits the high points ;)

snowgetter1
12-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Check this one out. It is a 30 Bellm. Just stubble into the idea the other day talking to my gun dealler. It can be made from 7mm BR brass and has a bit more performance than the whisper. I am going to build either a whisper or this for deer hunting in Illinois. The 30 Bellm is looking good though.

http://www.bellmtcs.com
Two proven loads are now commercially available.

130 Gr. bullet @ 2200 fps from 14" barrel.
125 Gr. @ 2300 fps, Nosler Ballistic Tip preferred.
These two bullet weights perform great on deer and give you a good trajectory and plenty of energy for 200 yard shots.

Ballistics are the same or better than delivered by the standard .30/30, but in a small package that meets Illinois requirements.

sinman
12-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Fancy name for a 30br

snowgetter1
12-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Is it the same or shorter. We talked about the 300 whisper about a week or two ago and in Illinois it has to have a case length of 1.4" or less. This says the whisper and his round are the only bottlenecked rounds allowed in illinois. I would not doubt this though as we are right behind California for stupid laws.