PDA

View Full Version : Savage Axis .243 fail to fire

shotar
04-19-2022, 10:47 AM
I used my Savage Axis all of last year for varmint hunting. This is a stock Axis with ergo stock and new style mag, not II. On Saturday, the woodchucks were out and so was I. I set up prone on the bipod, had varmint cong in my sights at about 160, pulled trigger and a soft click. No boom! I cycled the action presuming there was something wrong with the round. Same. Soft click, no boom. Third time was the charm, boom, woodchuck down.

Upon examining the primers of the two rounds that didn't go, I found no dent in the primer. I used one of those rounds later in the day to take another woodchuck, no problem.

The only change from last year, is that I'm now hunting prone from the bipod instead of seated behind a tripod. I've found this gives me greater stability for longer range shots. I do not want to dump this rifle as it's sub half MOA with this load and has been a woodchuck killing death ray. Also my wife won this rifle in the VFD raffle and I can't tell her I'm trading in her prestigious award.

Thoughts as to what is causing this? Rifle was clean and not overlubed.

sharpshooter
04-19-2022, 02:34 PM
Does it have an Accutrigger?

shotar
04-19-2022, 05:18 PM
Does it have an Accutrigger?

No

rerun5
04-19-2022, 08:12 PM
Have you disassembled the bolt at any time? I ask because I have a friend with a Rem 700 BDU and he has the same problem with it. I asked him the same, he cleans it regularly but not the firing pin assy. Even if you don't over lube. it can build up in the firing pin assembly and in cold weather hinder the forward movement of the firing pin. Just a thought.
I take my bolt guns bolts apart from time to time, clean and just a drop of lube.

charlie b
04-19-2022, 08:18 PM
If it is fairly new then it might be some of the infamous Savage 'grit' has worked loose and is hindering the process. If older it may also be a combination of lube and dirt. Or, it is a spring problem starting to rear it's ugly head.

I don't usually disassemble a bolt, but, it is one area where I use one of the 'dry' spray lube/cleaners (mine is Hornady One Shot). I put the little red tube right over the firing pin hole and flush it as well as I can. The dry lube, IMHO is best for the firing pin area.

243winxb
04-19-2022, 08:30 PM
I would soak the bolt in solvent to remove any old oil. Always load rounds from the magazine. After cleaning, store with muzzle down. Till excess lube runs out the muzzle.

Possible broken firing pin?

shotar
04-21-2022, 08:47 AM
I think that I have solved the problem. The only thing I can come up with is that in my haste to engage the enemy, the bolt handle was just ever so slightly raised.

Dave Hoback
04-24-2022, 12:15 AM
I encourage routine disassembly & cleaning of the bolt. No oil on the parts. Just a wipe down after cleaning with a microfiber cloth that has oil on it.

It’s the most logical causing the issue. Either dirt/grit build up, or as Charlie pointed out, possible excess flashing material gave way. Of course, unless you “forgot” to mention you’ve done something to it since last outing?

Dave Hoback
04-24-2022, 12:19 AM
I think that I have solved the problem. The only thing I can come up with is that in my haste to engage the enemy, the bolt handle was just ever so slightly raised.

Interesting. I’ve never actually tried to see if that causes a light release. As you indicated a “soft click”, but no primer strike.

wbm
04-24-2022, 11:43 AM
If you discover that an "ever so slightly raised" bolt handle is not the problem, then your Axis is probably suffering from a fairly common "other" problem that affects some used Axis rifles.

rockneharleyman
05-03-2022, 06:27 AM
I was wondering if taking a file and sharpening firing pin tip a little would help. also I am going to try shooting a misfire in another rifle to see if it would fire

wbm
05-03-2022, 10:51 AM
I was wondering if taking a file and sharpening firing pin tip a little would help.

No.

I am going to try shooting a misfire in another rifle to see if it would fire.

So you also have an Savage that fails to fire?

rockneharleyman
05-03-2022, 12:13 PM
Yes brand new 308 axis. Misfire 3 out of 20 remington brand. Reloads not so bad. Show strike on primer but recocking does not help. I have removed bullet installed new primer and it fired. Not to crazy about doing that. In the army if we had a misfire they shut the whole range down. I pulled firing pin spring out of another rifle and same problem. Really has me scratching my head. Totally broke down bolt and its fine. Think i am going to check headspace using scotch tape just for curiosity. Also going to try misfires on soninlaw’s rifle

rockneharleyman
05-04-2022, 09:39 AM
What is hammer test for primers? Striking it with a hammer?

prdatr
05-04-2022, 09:54 AM
What is hammer test for primers? Striking it with a hammer?

No idea and as a reloader for 40 years I have never heard of it but it sounds like something that should be on Tic Tock. The idea of the firing pin is not to pierce the primer!!!!

rockneharleyman
05-04-2022, 12:41 PM
Seen it on this site somewhere. On a misfire i am thinking they remove primer and hit with a
hammer to see it goes off!

rockneharleyman
05-04-2022, 12:43 PM
I am surprised with all misfires on this site Savage is not doing something

rockneharleyman
05-04-2022, 09:21 PM
PS I have an axis 30-06 with no misfires. Took firing pin spring out and put it in 308 ans still misfires