PDA

View Full Version : A Peach: Pretty and Bruises Easily

MacDent
04-09-2022, 06:12 PM
I have a Henry 30-30. It shoots and looks great. However, the wood finish dings up real easy. Real easy. I've had maybe a couple dozen guns with wood stocks. And I never before saw one with such a fragile finish. I've considered the possibility that maybe its jut me...that I just haven't been careful with it. But I don't think so. BTW, I also have a Henry .22LR, and I haven't had a problem with it.

Has anybody with a Henry had a similar problem? Thanks.

Txhillbilly
04-10-2022, 01:05 AM
Probably just the grade of wood that they use on their gun's. When you're one of the only players in the game, you can use whatever you want, and people will still buy it.

Dave Hoback
04-10-2022, 07:55 AM
You could try this. Might help a bit getting them out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_Z_h76Sd1w

Robinhood
04-11-2022, 12:30 AM
I didn't watch the video but it says it used time tested steaming. Works great. Remove the finish first.

J.Baker
04-14-2022, 10:28 PM
Have a couple Henry's, both centerfire and rimfire that I've had for 8-10 years now. Both have walnut stocks and no issues with the wood or finish on either. How long have you had this particular rifle? Just kind of wonder if during the whole Covid supply chain issue nonsense if they maybe had to change suppliers for their wood or finish and what they got as the substitute wasn't as good as what they typically use. The other possibility is they deliberately went to lower grade stuff to offset increasing costs of materials with this economy so they wouldn't have to raise prices as much.

Hard to say either way, but first thing I'd do is call them and talk to them about it as I've always found them to be very helpful pleasant to deal with over the phone.