PDA

View Full Version : What version of the M16 do I have?

Bannon
04-06-2022, 01:30 AM
I am brand new to Savage rifles and this forum. I recently picked up a used Savage M16 rifle chambered in .270WSM. I am trying to determine what version of the M16 it is (e.g. FSS or FCSS, or ??). It is a stainless 24” barreled rig with a blind magazine (2+1). It has a jeweled bolt (not fluted). The barrel diameter at the muzzle is a stout .7 inches. It has a 3-position tang safety. The black rubber/composite type stock has a pistol grip with a mold seam running down the centerline of the entire stock. The recoil pad is a very “squishy” black-colored affair. Two guard screws secure the stock to the action with a third screw serving to secure the rear-end portion of the trigger guard to the stock. Weight of the rifle with its basic Sig Sauer 3-9 scope is 8.5lbs. Any help in identifying what sub-variant/version is most appreciated.

Bannon
04-06-2022, 12:39 PM
I found that it is a Model 16fxp3. Thanks.

big honkin jeep
04-18-2022, 03:50 PM
I found that it is a Model 16fxp3. Thanks.
FXP was a designation given to entry level synthetic"package guns" that came with a cheap scope.
Most likely an old flatback FSS from the early 2000s with the 16 FSS designating short action, synthetic, and stainless steel.
They were cataloged at the time as "The weather warrior" series.
The F designates synthetic while G was used for wood