PDA

View Full Version : Sellier & Bellot 6.5 Creedmoor FMJ tactical will not eject from my AXIS

4squirrel
04-04-2022, 05:12 PM
Hello,
I am new to this forum and I recently purchased a Savage Axis XP from Cabelas back in August of last year. I had purchased some Sellier & Bellot tactical FMJ 140 grs. ammo from my local gun store being that it was a great price of $22 a box. I figured it would be good for sighting my new rifle as being a lot cheaper than Hornady etc. After firing my first round I was unable to extract the spent shell? I had to get my cleaning rod and gently tap and the bolt would open... this is very weird. Has anyone else had issues with using this Sellier ammo in their AXIS? It shoots and extracts the Hornady fine. I asked the gun store where I bought it from if anyone else was having issues with this ammo. I'm wondering if they are loaded too hot possibly? I bought 4 boxes of it and dont know what to do with it?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Craig

chesterReno
04-04-2022, 09:35 PM
I have an Axis II in 6.5 creedmoor and had the same issue with a stiff bolt extract in their 142gr bullets. I had read similar issues on other websites, so I assume they may be a little hot for the chamber size.

Robinhood
04-04-2022, 10:09 PM
Are they extracting and not ejecting? Are the rims damaged when you remove the case?

wbm
04-04-2022, 11:03 PM
_.

4squirrel
04-05-2022, 07:34 AM
I can pull the bolt handle up, but will not come back to eject. Once I tap the bolt back with my cleaning rod it opens. I have had some of them loose the primers after ejecting. no damage to the rims

Blue Avenger
04-05-2022, 07:44 AM
I can pull the bolt handle up, but will not come back to eject. Once I tap the bolt back with my cleaning rod it opens. I have had some of them loose the primers after ejecting. no damage to the rims

the bolt handle and the collar around the bolt body have angled wedges that meet at the top of the stroke. the purpose is to cam ( push ) the bolt back to begin extraction. some times the tolerance stack up is to loose to move the bolt back enough. if you have some feeler gauges or thin metal try putting is in between the wedges to see if this will release a fired case.

GrenGuy
04-05-2022, 09:58 AM
“ loose the primer” There’s Your answer. Something is causing over pressure. Could be the bullet is in or very close to the lands ??

Robinhood
04-05-2022, 05:20 PM
the bolt handle and the collar around the bolt body have angled wedges that meet at the top of the stroke. the purpose is to cam ( push ) the bolt back to begin extraction. some times the tolerance stack up is to loose to move the bolt back enough. if you have some feeler gauges or thin metal try putting is in between the wedges to see if this will release a fired case.

This is what I was getting at. But with the new information......

“ loose the primer” There’s Your answer. Something is causing over pressure. Could be the bullet is in or very close to the lands ??

This is also a problem and seems to be the cause. It is a good practice to give as much info as possible when asking for online help.

geezerhood
04-12-2022, 10:44 AM
Perhaps contact S&B and tell them you have some over pressure ammo and you would like it replaced. If they refuse, you might be able to salvage it, but is it worth the cost if you damage your rifle?

Personally, I would not be shooting that ammo if the primers are giving way. I would have stopped with the first one that stuck in the chamber. Do you know anyone else with a 6.5 CM that would be willing to fire one in there rifle, knowing you are over pressure in yours?

If I was desperate to use it (Almost there with the price and availability of ammo these days...), I would first check the bullet contact with the throat (Google how to do that). If the bullet is contacting the lands, you can seat them deeper until there is no contact and see if that fixes the high pressure problem. If that doesn't work and you got a bunch of it, you could always pull the bullets and reduce the powder charge, neck size and reload.

rerun5
04-19-2022, 08:22 PM
Maybe it's a lot problem with the ammo. I have both an Axis in 6.5 CM and used S&B 140 grain and noticed no such problem. I hope it's with the ammo, I would check with S&B too include the lot number. I have had my S&B since 2020.