PDA

View Full Version : Sticky bolt (back, not up) pre-accu

Curtism1234
04-01-2022, 08:41 PM
I just bought a barely ever fired 375hh. However, this rifle has a very sticky bolt when pulling back. Everything is smooth until the bold head meets the inside of the receiver. (About an inch from the back). Then it gets hung up. If you cycle the bolt quickly you can still kinda feel it. If you let it fall to gravity or light pressure it will become stuck. I'm one who thinks a push feed is just fine for dangerous game but it needs to operate properly.

Is this common? My other older savage is just fine. Not sure if its getting snagged on the inside receiver tube or internal magazine.

Any thing I should try? Rem oil made no difference. Was thinking of jeweling the bolt (just because). If the bolt head is jeweled all the way around, could that possibly remove just enough metal to clear my problem?

Thanks for your thoughts

JW
04-02-2022, 05:59 AM
Try some grease on the bolthead & bolt contact points as well as the receiver contact points. A small drop of grease (like pin head size) is plenty. I use a q-tip to apply at the areas .
work the bolt numerous times and see if it helps.
You might need to clean off the grease afterwards if you applied to much.
Jack

Nor Cal Mikie
04-02-2022, 10:37 AM
Scoped? Mounting screws too long? Just thinking out loud.

Blue Avenger
04-02-2022, 03:43 PM

try backing out the second from the front scope base screw

Curtism1234
04-02-2022, 07:47 PM
Ok, a little more info. Stock off - just fine. Stock on - it sticks (even with no stock screws). When the magazine follower / spring is removed it still does it but not as bad.

So it has something to do with the stock or blind mag frame.

Blue Avenger
04-02-2022, 10:06 PM
scratches on bolt?

Curtism1234
04-03-2022, 01:50 PM
Diving in even deeper - the problem seems to be in the bolt head and how the stock/mag comes into contact with it. If I move the bolt head ever so slightly it will cycle as normal. However I dont know how many cycles that would last.

Chalk it up to it being the quirks of an economic rifle? Or does something sound off?

Robinhood
04-04-2022, 07:34 PM
Is this a stagger feed or a centerfeed? Is it an aftermarket stock or factory. I have seen aftermarket stocks for centerfeed not cut deep enough and the magazine is too proud. I sanded the mag down a little before i realized i had enough room to put a little channel around the edge of the mag well.

Curtism1234
04-04-2022, 10:44 PM
Is this a stagger feed or a centerfeed? Is it an aftermarket stock or factory. I have seen aftermarket stocks for centerfeed not cut deep enough and the magazine is too proud. I sanded the mag down a little before i realized i had enough room to put a little channel around the edge of the mag well.

Stagger factory stock

Robinhood
04-05-2022, 05:03 PM
Stagger factory stock

I know this is a long action but was the 375 HH a control round feed or push feed? The control round feed had a standing ejector that gave the bolt some rough spots near the back of the stroke.

Curtism1234
04-05-2022, 11:25 PM
I know this is a long action but was the 375 HH a control round feed or push feed? The control round feed had a standing ejector that gave the bolt some rough spots near the back of the stroke.

Bingo, thank you!
I didn't think this was one of the savages with crf bc I was looking for a big model 70 or Mauser claw. But that is def the problem. This thread gives more detail.

https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?32923-CRF-ejector-modification-for-improved-bolt-operation

Robinhood
04-06-2022, 11:20 PM
Bingo, thank you!
I didn't think this was one of the savages with crf bc I was looking for a big model 70 or Mauser claw. But that is def the problem. This thread gives more detail.

https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?32923-CRF-ejector-modification-for-improved-bolt-operation

Curtis, be careful making that mod. You may have a difficult time finding an original ejector. In the outside chance you do regret any modifications I have on for the low price of 69.95. :)

mnbogboy2
04-07-2022, 02:31 PM
My first thought was action screws too long or too tight. Improper bedding will allow reciever to distortwhen srewsaretoo tight.

Curtism1234
04-07-2022, 11:23 PM
Curtis, be careful making that mod. You may have a difficult time finding an original ejector. In the outside chance you do regret any modifications I have on for the low price of 69.95. :)

Sounds reasonable. Yes, I will find a replacement before even considering the mod.