PDA

View Full Version : Micro Red Dot

Pages : [1] 2

WYOWINCHESTER
04-01-2022, 06:54 PM
Traded for a Springfield Hellcat. Optic ready. Any body have experience with these micro red dot sights? Wasp, is SF suggestion. Worth the dime, useful?? Debating??

Stumpkiller
04-01-2022, 09:05 PM
The only two I've ever played with are/were on my "rat rifle" Diana Chaser CO2 rifle & pistol that I use in the barn and chicken coop. Reflex red-dot and an AimPoint style clone, and I can tell you that in low light or with a red-light under-barrel light it is a killer combo for fast shots on rats. You get about two seconds when you "embarrass" them with the red light before they scoot.

I would not put one on my EDC 9mm . . . but only because I want concealability (second only to reliability), and at 7 yards I won't be needing one-minute-of-rat-head accuracy. I've been shooting iron-sighted pistols a LONG time and that's what I'm used to.

celltech
04-02-2022, 09:34 AM
Tried one on a full size Canik and just could not get used to it. I believe it takes a lot of practice time to make it second nature. For self defense distances I really don't see the need...

WYOWINCHESTER
04-02-2022, 11:12 AM
That's the thinking I was working on. Might look cool but not worth the time and money. YET. I talked with people that say their eyes don't work with open sights well anymore and this is a good replacement. Thanks for the reassurance.

Robinhood
04-04-2022, 07:38 PM
That's the thinking I was working on. Might look cool but not worth the time and money. YET. I talked with people that say their eyes don't work with open sights well anymore and this is a good replacement. Thanks for the reassurance.

RMR cut: The Trijicons are great as are the Holosun. I really like the shake awake feature on the Holosun.

J.Baker
04-14-2022, 10:32 PM
Really depends on what you plan to use the pistol for. If it's going to be a carry gun keep the open sights. If you're just going to punch paper or steel with it the optic may be worth investing in if you want to do any speed work. For a general pleasure shooter/plinker I don't really see the point, but having it wouldn't hurt anything but your wallet.

jbjh
04-23-2022, 12:32 PM
It’s a different kind of shooting than iron, but once you learn to stop “chasing the dot”, it’s very fast.

Just remember that if you’ve been shooting with irons for a long time, there’s a learning curve. Nothing harsh, but it won’t feel natural.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geezerhood
04-24-2022, 06:01 PM
With geezer vision these days, MRD (Micro Red Dot) sights cut my group size in half or even less on everything from a 22 to a 10mm.

If you can wait for the new models to come out, the best two sights you can get in my opinion for the Hellcat will be the Holosun EPS Carry or the SCS. The EPS will be the most rugged of the two.

geezerhood
05-31-2022, 12:38 AM
Holosun has started shipping the SCS for the Glock MOS. Other slide fits to follow. No intermediate plate required, giving the lowest profile MRD out there if I am not mistaken. I think that would be a very nice MRD on the Hellcat.

I am definitely going to buy an EPS with an RMR footprint if they ever offer one. The Holosun website says it will be initially only in the K footprint which is the same as the Shield, Romeo Zero, Trijicon RMO and a few others, so we may never see one with an RMR footprint. Fortunately, my main handgun has a Shield plate so I will be able to use the EPS or EPS Carry on it.

I will probably also mount an EPS on my go to AR. I would like to get an an SCS when / if they offer it in the RMR footprint to fit RMR custom cut slides. Unknown when or if that will happen. My goal is to only have RMR footprint micro red dots, though they will all be Holosun, not Trijicon which at least for now looks impossible. I like that the SCS lets you use factory height iron sights with no interface plate as shown in the photo.

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/9f368a_c45b817b5b194184a9dc8c23cf469289~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_1000,h_563,al_c,q_90,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/9f368a_c45b817b5b194184a9dc8c23cf469289~mv2.jpg

Dave Hoback
05-31-2022, 10:33 AM
The Holosun reflex optics are the new HOTNESS battle sight… ever since the whole debacle with Eotech, PROVING they were overpriced, JUNK! While I do like Reflex sights, I’m not it on the Red Dot. And not at all for pistols. Rifles only.

I like the Primary Arms SLX-25mm with the ACSS Chevron on my AR. Completely different skill set on a pistol. I guess for long range pistol, a reflex sight makes sense. I have a friend who competes at 50 yds with a pistol. Not my thing. Was never a proponent of “distance pistol shooting”. But then, I was a defensive pistol instructor..CQB. Anything past 25yds, shooting back is NOT the primary focus.

Edit: (Sorry for the mistype Robin, LOL! I’m a big fan of Holosun)

Robinhood
05-31-2022, 12:37 PM
I really like both of my Holosun HS507 X2's

Dave Hoback
05-31-2022, 06:38 PM
Yessir! That’s the one right there! ;)

Robinhood
05-31-2022, 10:10 PM
I like them. Some don't but I do. At my age and the way my eyes function they have increased my impact count on small steel out to a greater distance than I could shoot before. Distance allows me to reload before the rest of them get too close. I'm speaking on feral hogs don't ya know.

I wonder why they sell so many if they suck?

Dave Hoback
06-01-2022, 02:09 AM
I like them. Some don't but I do. At my age and the way my eyes function they have increased my impact count on small steel out to a greater distance than I could shoot before. Distance allows me to reload before the rest of them get too close. I'm speaking on feral hogs don't ya know.

I wonder why they sell so many if they suck?

Huh.. I wasn't certain, so I read every post in the thread again. And none here said the Holosun’s suck. Everyone here seems to like them. Do you mean other places online, I wonder? I’ve really only come across good reports of them. Where are you seeing people say they suck?

Robinhood
06-01-2022, 04:33 PM
The Holosun reflex optics are the new demented battle sight… ever since the whole debacle with Eotech

demented

dĭ-mĕn′tĭd
adjective

Suffering from dementia.
Crazy or foolish.
Insane; mad; of unsound mind.

Dave Hoback
06-01-2022, 07:56 PM
demented

dĭ-mĕn′tĭd
adjective

Suffering from dementia.
Crazy or foolish.
Insane; mad; of unsound mind.

LOL! I didn’t even notice that! LOL! Robin…. That was a TYPO & AUTOCORRECT, LOL! I have no idea why it corrected to “demented”. I can’t remember what adjective I wanted to use. I believe I was thinking king “hotness” battle sight, or something like that. HAHAHAHAHA! Too funny!:p

Didn’t you notice how that word doesn’t match the rest of what I was saying about Holosun? I’m a huge fan of Holosun. Have been since they came on scene. They build reflex & Holographic sights very well! I built an AR for my brother as a Christmas gift, and the Holosun HS510 is precisely what I convinced him to put on it. It’s Eotech I’m no longer a fan of. Because of that military stuff that came out on them selling defective sights. They lost my respect. (The Eotech debacle)

LOL! That was a good laugh. That’s the problem with text sometimes. ONE word mistyped can change the entire meaning.

Robinhood
06-03-2022, 12:43 AM
But this......

Huh.. I wasn't certain, so I read every post in the thread again. And none here said the Holosun’s suck. Everyone here seems to like them. Do you mean other places online, I wonder? I’ve really only come across good reports of them. Where are you seeing people say they suck?

LOL, it is funny. Often we don't realize how or why people get certain impressions. We all do it. Just own it. LOL

Dave Hoback
06-03-2022, 02:31 AM
Sorry Robin. You lost me brother:redface-new: With the end of your sentence, “just own it”. What is it I should own?

Robinhood
06-03-2022, 05:29 PM
Sorry Robin. You lost me brother:redface-new: With the end of your sentence, “just own it”. What is it I should own?

Everything a person post. A man should be able to post what he feels, and stand behind it.

Dave Hoback
06-03-2022, 07:51 PM
Oh yeah, of course. But you mistook how I felt because of an miss-typed word. I’m a big fan of Holosun; always have been. But you thought I DON’T like them based on that word, LOL! That’s all I wanted to get through.:redface-new: