PDA

View Full Version : Can't get the blind mag off my receiver.....

tex36th
03-31-2022, 03:53 AM
Hi all. I can't get the blind mag off my receiver!? I have read and tried some of the suggestions I can find here but it will not come off (I do not have a spare recoil lug laying around). No - it will not "pop" off with a screwdriver and a hammer. The tabs on the box that hold it to the receiver are a good 1/8 inch long (at least) so if I were able to squeeze the box mag enough for the tabs to clear the receiver - the mag box would be permanently deformed. Do I have an oddball rifle? Otherwise I am questioning my ability as a real man to get this thing off (I do need to reuse it). Thanks in advance for any suggestions :eek: - Stevens model 200 (Savage 110 no accutrigger), Cal 22-250/sporter barrel, short action, 4.275 inch action spacing

Txhillbilly
03-31-2022, 04:20 AM
I've always used a 2-3 lb dead blow hammer and a wide chisel to get them off / on. You can't be gentle with them, and yes, you will make the sides bulge out doing this. But they can be bent back pretty straight after you re-install it into the action.
I just mount the action in a bench vise vertically, then give the magazine box a good whack. They usually pop out the first hit. I install them the same way, then bend the sides back straight.

Nor Cal Mikie
03-31-2022, 08:37 AM
You want to remove it for what reason?? And you say you want to reuse it? What does the "recoil lug" have to do with it? If it's a bedding issue, "bed around it".

Robinhood
04-05-2022, 05:07 PM
Take it to a gunsmith and ask him to remove it while you watch. You may be very good at some things but Savagesmithing may not be a strong point. :)

Dave Hoback
04-05-2022, 07:39 PM
LOL! Every time I see that word used. Just makes me chuckle.

tex36th
04-06-2022, 05:28 AM
Thanks all,

Got it off. Reference to the recoil lug - previous thread suggested using a spare recoil lug as a pry bar of sorts.

Why take it off? Damn good question which I should have asked myself earlier - I am bedding the action and I just wanted it out of the way (planning on filling the mag well with clay).

It took 2 people to remove it. I used an old chisel that I dulled to get something larger than a screwdriver. Receiver mounted vertically in a vise. My helper holding the mag box with channel locks and applying pull tension. After several hard blows (coordinated with helper) the tab on the box jumped out of its slot and caught on the bottom edge of the opening - still attached - but a good yank with channel locks freed it. Not looking forward to putting it back. Gunsmith sounds good.

Bannon
04-06-2022, 12:44 PM
HI, I am new here. I don’t want to divert the discussion, but was wondering if someone could tell me what the advantages of a blind magazine are? Was it a cost savings thing that Savage did, or is there a practical reason they used the blind magazine concept? Thanks.

Dave Hoback
04-06-2022, 03:32 PM
HI, I am new here. I don’t want to divert the discussion, but was wondering if someone could tell me what the advantages of a blind magazine are? Was it a cost savings thing that Savage did, or is there a practical reason they used the blind magazine concept? Thanks.

A Blind Magazine is simply any vertically stacked, internal magazine with no floor plate. Nothing special, overly cost effective, etc. It’s simply a style of having more than 1 round in a rifle.

Robinhood
04-06-2022, 11:14 PM
A Blind Magazine is simply any vertically stacked, internal magazine with no floor plate. Nothing special, overly cost effective, etc. It’s simply a style of having more than 1 round in a rifle.

And, under most circumstances....lighter.

gbflyer
04-07-2022, 04:23 PM

There are 3 I am aware of. Lighter weight as mentioned before, no floor plate to open and dump your magazine box unexpectedly, and no detachable magazine to lose.

big honkin jeep
04-18-2022, 03:38 PM
I was just going to throw in "Be Careful" during disassembly and assembly. Please don't break one of the ears off getting too rough with it.
The old blind mags are no longer in production and pretty dadgum hard to find.
Pretty soon they'll all be made of unobtanium.