PDA

View Full Version : Barrel change question from new member

irkr
11-28-2010, 02:23 AM
Hello to all. I have a question I hope you guys can answer. My son wants a bolt gun chambered in .257 Weatherby Mag. The only 2 choices for 26" barrelled models are expensive Weatherby and Remmy offerings. He also wants to add a camo aftermarket stock. So, by using a Savage 7mm Mag rifle, I could rebarrel it, add a stock, and be money ahead. Am I right in my thinking? If so, are there any barrel companies that would have even longer barrels (28"). Thanks in advance.
irkr

hailstone
11-28-2010, 07:25 AM
Yes you could do that. Most barrel companies will make barrels too certain lengths. Speciality items can more than likely be made with additional fees. This is something you would need discuss with the barrel maker. Some sponsers of this site carry the products of different barrel manufacturers so I would contact them. Don't know what type of hunting your son's planning on but seems a 28" barrel length would be unwieldy for many types.

Slowpoke Slim
11-28-2010, 08:17 AM
Or you could just get the Wby Vanguard in 257 Wby mag and be done with it. I know, I know, it's "only" a 24" bbl. It will still go BANG, and put holes in stuff. You should be able to get the synthetic stock one for around 500 bucks.

I have the wood stocked one. It put a hole in this bobcat just fine. It's actually my long range deer gun:

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr268/slowpokeslim/P1050354.jpg

Sorry for the non-Savage pic on the Savage site ;D.

You could definitely go with the Savage 7mag idea. Contact Shilen, Pac-Nor, or McGowen. They all make "drop in" barrels for the Savage rifle. You'll have to custom order the barrel in the chambering you want, especially with that barrel length. It's very "do-able".

irkr
11-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the info! Great looking cat in the pic. Yes buying the Vanguard would be the simplest way to go. However, a .257 WM in a 24" tube is a little like putting a V8 in a minivan. If I go through the motions of setting him up with a rifle, I want to fix him up the way he wants it. As for the 28" barrel, we hunt a large agriculture creek bottom where shots are long. Hunting from tower stands permits us to use as long a rifle as we want. We bowhunt hard, but when gun season starts we enjoy the challenge of longer shots.

I will check with the barrel manufacturers for my options. Thanks again for the help. I'm sure I will have other questions if this project takes off.
irkr

daisy2007
11-30-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm wanting to put a 257 WBY Mag. Barrel on my Savage action also. Let me know what you come up with. I am interested in a 26" barrel though.