PDA

View Full Version : Round vs Flat Receiver

Chris_in_Idaho
03-19-2022, 12:50 AM
Is there any functional advantage to the round back over the flat back? Do scope bases mount more securely or repeatably on the round receiver?

Zargon123
03-19-2022, 06:56 AM
Checkout this earlier discussion.

Flat-back vs round receiver- any accuracy difference? (savageshooters.com) (https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?29953-Flat-back-vs-round-receiver-any-accuracy-difference)

Blue Avenger
03-19-2022, 09:39 AM
it was just less work for the factory.

J.Baker
03-28-2022, 06:06 PM
Biggest issue with the old flat-tops was that the "flats" usually weren't flat due to their being hand polished. In many cases it resulted in a "flat" than leaned to one side or the other which caused things to get interesting when mounting a scope base and optic. With a 1-piece base you often wouldn't get 100% contact with the receiver or (if lower grade aluminum) the base would actually twist to conform to the angle when you'd torque it down.

The other common issue with the old flat-backs is that due to the heat-treating process used at the time the action were more prone to warping. Warping was more common and prevalent in long-actions, but short-actions weren't immune to it.

Chris_in_Idaho
03-29-2022, 08:17 PM
Biggest issue with the old flat-tops was that the "flats" usually weren't flat due to their being hand polished. In many cases it resulted in a "flat" than leaned to one side or the other which caused things to get interesting when mounting a scope base and optic. With a 1-piece base you often wouldn't get 100% contact with the receiver or (if lower grade aluminum) the base would actually twist to conform to the angle when you'd torque it down.

The other common issue with the old flat-backs is that due to the heat-treating process used at the time the action were more prone to warping. Warping was more common and prevalent in long-actions, but short-actions weren't immune to it.

Thanks. I ordered a 1 piece DNZ Game Reaper and was delighted to find it sat perfectly on the rear flat when the front screws were tightened. So in my particular case I seem to have lucked out.