PDA

View Full Version : Model 16 sear and pin?

CJP1
03-18-2022, 05:11 PM
I'm looking for a model 16 one piece plated sear and sear pin. Whoever owned the action I have must have dropped it as the sear was rubbing hard against the receiver. when I tried to bend it slightly away from the receiver, it snapped in two pieces. The sear pin is also slightly bent and I would like to replace it if possible. Numrich didn't have either one in stock. I appreciate if someone could steer me in the right direction. Thanks for any help with this matter.

mnbogboy2
03-18-2022, 08:20 PM
I'm looking for a model 16 one piece SS sear and sear pin. Whoever owned the action I have must have dropped it as the sear was rubbing hard against the receiver. when I tried to bend it slightly away from the receiver, it snapped in two pieces. The sear pin is also slightly bent and I would like to replace it if possible. Numrich didn't have either one in stock. I appreciate if someone could steer me in the right direction. Thanks for any help with this matter.
A good welder could arc weld it or brazen it back together! Excess weld could be removed with a dremel.. The pin may be able to be straightened. That's what I would do anyway. I believe the new hard triggers come with their own sear and safety parts, its@worth looking in to especially if you would like a lighter smoother trigger.j

CJP1
03-19-2022, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the reply but I don't think that I want to add heat to the sear. I believe it could change the molecular structure of the metal.

mnbogboy2
03-19-2022, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the reply but I don't think that I want to add heat to the sear. I believe it could change the molecular structure of the metal.
They are heat treated to a very hard state, that is why it snapped for you. True heating it could anneal it and soften it.

Blue Avenger
03-19-2022, 08:17 PM
not my first choice, but if forced to weld for a working gun until you find replacement parts, put a heat sink on tip to protect temper

bsekf
03-20-2022, 10:22 AM
Be prepared to modify a replacement sear. I had to remove some material to get a replacement to fit.....Don't try to bend it!

Robinhood
03-20-2022, 06:06 PM
Be prepared to modify a replacement sear. I had to remove some material to get a replacement to fit.....Don't try to bend it!
Interested in what mod was used. I had to mod a sear one time. I'm sure I was mixing parts and using a Sav2 for a bottom release..The sear did not go back far enough for a trigger reset.

bsekf
03-21-2022, 10:04 AM
Robinhood, the replacement sear would not fit over the block the pin goes through. I had to remove some material from the legs of the sear and the block to get it to fit properly. It was not a problem, I just discovered they all don't interchange.

Newtosavage
03-21-2022, 11:23 AM
Robinhood, the replacement sear would not fit over the block the pin goes through. I had to remove some material from the legs of the sear and the block to get it to fit properly. It was not a problem, I just discovered they all don't interchange.

I've done the same.

OP, I wish you the best of luck in finding a new sear. I was doing a conversion a year ago on an old 110 and it took me nearly 4 months to source a single sear.

efm77
03-21-2022, 12:35 PM
I've bought them from Brownells before but they appear to be out of stock as well. When I replaced mine, it did not mate up well to the accutrigger that was in it. It worked but had a lot of creep and weight to it. Ended up buying a Rifle Basix trigger too so that it could be adjusted for sear engagement.

Robinhood
03-22-2022, 09:23 PM

OK, I have never seen that. Being a Savage smith makes you versatile. Ha

OP, you could re temper it if you are careful. https://knifemaking.com/pages/forging-steel-heat-color-chart

BTW, Is your receiver round or is it flat next to the bolt release?

CJP1
03-24-2022, 10:42 PM
It is a pre Accu-Trigger flat back action with a flat side by the bolt release lever and round on the other side.

CJP1
03-30-2022, 03:47 PM
Thanks to all who responded. I'm still looking for a sear and pin.

CJP1
04-01-2022, 01:11 PM
I have found a sear. Thanks everyone!