PDA

View Full Version : Barrel contours for hunting on Savage Axis II .308

Tiekmir
03-13-2022, 05:03 PM
Eventually my barrel will reach it's end of life, that or I will decide the stock barrel is just too thin for longer range shots.

Either way I am doing research now on pre-fit barrels. So far Preferred Barrel Blanks looks like a good compromise between higher quality and lower price. They seem to have a very good record for precision on other forums like SnipersHide.

https://preferredbarrelblanks.com/product/savage-pre-fit-barrel/

Anyways, I am looking at getting a medium/heavy barrel when I do buy one for increased stiffness. I want a good hunting rifle that will be good at both close and medium/longer range shots.

I was thinking of 24", not too long, not too short. It is a .308 and will have a 1 in 10 twist. Pretty standard stuff. Then I get to the choices of contours. That's where it all kind of loses me.

I believe the Axis II has Sporter barrel. It looks like a light one. I have read other forum threads from Long Range Hunting and SnipersHide. Many seem to favor a medium Varmint or Palma for a good precision hunting barrel. Easier to lug about than the heavies, but stiffer than the lights. What say you? Can I have opinions on contours and why you that is a good choice?

FYI I am going to have it threaded for a muzzle break or a can.

What are the advatages, or disadvatages, of the different contours? I am keeping the factory stock BTW. I like it to be honest. It fits me well and I like the aesthetic of it. I am going to glass bed it and reinforce it in various ways. I am also going to add a Mountain Tactical Kydex cheek riser too. Would I have to grind out the stock forend for heavier barrels?

Blue Avenger
03-13-2022, 07:31 PM
contour has little to do with accuracy a unless there are many repeat shots in a short time

charlie b
03-13-2022, 08:58 PM
^this.

Yes, there is quite a weight difference between Varmint/Palma and standard. FWIW, Palma usually is used on really long barrels, 28-32 inches. Reason is to get the 155gn bullets up to highest velocity possible.

Which one depends on what, where and how you hunt. If you spend most of your time in the truck then any weight/length will work. If you are walking longer distances light will be better. If walking in brush/woods then shorter barrel is better. If you are shooting a lot (like coyote or pig) then a heavier barrel might be nicer. Then there is distance. What do you mean by medium/long range shots? Even the standard barrel will work fine out to 500/600yd.

Then there is fluting. You can get a larger dia barrel and have it fluted to reduce the weight a bit but maintain stiffness.

Lots of variables here.

FYI, my model 12 barrel has over 1000 jacketed rounds and more than 2000 cast loads through it. Still shoots well under MOA at 500yd. Don't expect it to wear out any time soon :) If you wait for it to wear out you may be old and wrinkled :)

Tiekmir
03-13-2022, 11:27 PM
Interesting, thanks for the input.

So, am I correct in assuming that the Axis I and II both have a light Sporter barrel?

Tiekmir
03-13-2022, 11:35 PM
Which one depends on what, where and how you hunt. If you spend most of your time in the truck then any weight/length will work. If you are walking longer distances light will be better. If walking in brush/woods then shorter barrel is better. If you are shooting a lot (like coyote or pig) then a heavier barrel might be nicer. Then there is distance. What do you mean by medium/long range shots? Even the standard barrel will work fine out to 500/600yd.

Deer and elk in Northeastern Washington up to the Canadian border

FYI, my model 12 barrel has over 1000 jacketed rounds and more than 2000 cast loads through it. Still shoots well under MOA at 500yd. Don't expect it to wear out any time soon :) If you wait for it to wear out you may be old and wrinkled :)

I don't know about that. I plan on shooting it a lot this spring and summer. I am gonna be buying a ton of bulk .308s. We'll see how it holds up.

charlie b
03-14-2022, 08:22 AM
Most Axis models have the thinner sport barrels. I have an Axis II I got from Walmart that was a special run with camo stock and heavy barrel.

The .308 is known for longer barrel life. I do hope your bulk .308 shoots well. I've never had good luck with the accuracy of bulk/inexpensive ammo.

Your region looks like a mix of open/wooded area. If you have to hike much the lighter barrel might do for you. Back when I used to hunt I'd sight in my barrel over a few days. Fire the first shot onto one target, second on another and third on another. Clean. Repeat until I had 5 shots on each target. After first three adjust the sights. Last two should be on target (or require minimal adjustment).

If your Axis is an older model it may have one of the flexible stocks. You can check it by putting some pressure on the forearm. If it moves far enough to touch the barrel then you need to be careful when shooting it. To compensate, some will stiffen the forearm with bedding compound or some other method and/or open up the barrel channel a bit more.

Tiekmir
03-14-2022, 10:44 PM
A light sporter? That's what I thought it looked like. The contour is the same as many barrel producers.

The ammo I got is Igman 308 Win 168 Grain FMJ-BT . The reviews on it were pretty positive.

My Axis II is one of the new ones.

https://i.postimg.cc/Cz1wx9Jb/Screenshot-20220314-193833-Brave.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Cz1wx9Jb)

After reading more and considering the advice give above I am now looking at a heavy sporter barrel, with 6 straight flutes, threaded for a muzzle brale/can and 22" long.

https://i.postimg.cc/cgHFn7zk/Savage-Sporter.jpg (https://postimg.cc/cgHFn7zk)

charlie b
03-15-2022, 09:20 AM
I'd shoot it first before looking into a new barrel. It might surprise you. Let it cool a few minutes between shots.

Tiekmir
03-15-2022, 10:13 PM
I'd shoot it first before looking into a new barrel. It might surprise you. Let it cool a few minutes between shots.

Well, I am interested to see how the rifle shoots out of the box. I am going to clean it very well and take it to the range soon. Then it's on to breaking in the barrel.