PDA

View Full Version : Model 25 in .223 sporter vs varmint barrel

teebirdhyzer
11-27-2010, 11:29 PM
I am going to purchase one of the model 25 rifles pretty soon in .223. I have been reading everything I can find on them, and have yet to find a review or article where they didn't flat out shoot! I really like the idea of the sporter barrel and stock on the classic model for several reasons, one being that my kids can deer hunt with it as well. Most of the articles and reviews are for the varmint barreled thumbhole stocked version. Should there be a large difference in accuracy for the sporter vs varmint barrel on this model? thanks

davidw
11-27-2010, 11:37 PM
This particular model doesn't really lend itself to swapping barrels. Most would say that the 25 is going to give you good accuarcy right out of the box with the factory supplied barrel and that if you wanted to get a little more out of it reload your own ammo. Just my .02.........

teebirdhyzer
11-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Yea, I didn't think that this model would lend itself to easily swapping out barrels. There are a couple of versions available though...one is a thumbhole version with a varmint/heavier style barrel, and the other is one of Savage's Classic styled models with walnut stock and sporter weight barrel. I like the looks of the sporter model, but if the accuracy is going to be far inferior, I would get the other.

Bad Water Bill
11-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Keep in mind that a laminated stock or a varmint bbl adds weight and lots of it at the end of the day for a kid. The sporter bbl is going to flat out shoot. Start them out with it then let them grow into a model 10/110 and bbl swapping. In the mean time teach them safe reloading and how to find the load each rifle likes.