PDA

View Full Version : price difference should be more?

boomer92266
03-11-2022, 03:15 PM
I just came from Wal Mart and they had two Savage's and the price difference to me should be more as I don't know who would get the plain Axis over the Axis 2? The Axis XP had a Weaver scope with old style eyebell focus and plain trigger it was $364.00, they had a Axis 2 XP with Bushnell Banner and fast focus eyepiece and accutrigger for $368.00. For just $4 more you get a much better scope and trigger, a no brainer choice for me if I was gonna get one. What ya'll think?

charlie b
03-11-2022, 06:07 PM
Walmart used to sell a heavy barrel Axis for about that amount. If you see one they are excellent rifles. IIRC they came in .22-250, .223 and 6.5CM

Mr.Snerdly
03-11-2022, 07:20 PM
Maybe old carryover stuff? I wouldn't pay extra for the trigger but a better scope would be worth it.

boomer92266
03-11-2022, 08:01 PM
I asked and I was told they just came in, I know last week they didn't have any out.

Tiekmir
03-13-2022, 05:13 PM
Damn, $368.00? That's a good price for an Axis II XP combo. I'd pay the extra cash for the AccuTrigger. It's supposed to be the best for budget rifles. The Banner scopr also has excellent reviews because of the dawn/dusk lens coating. For the money it's reported to be a great scope for average deer/elk hunting.

want2ride
03-14-2022, 09:57 AM
That trigger is wonderful, well worth the $80-100 bucks that it costs over the regular axis trigger! and you got it for $4 more!?!?!? that is a steal!

Newmexican
03-20-2022, 08:11 AM
Great price for an Axis II with a Bushnell Banner on it. Our local Walmart no longer sells firearms, darn it.

charlie b
03-20-2022, 08:58 AM
Yeah. I got mine when I was in North Carolina a few years ago.

rerun5
03-27-2022, 09:10 PM
My first Axis was a combo in 30-06 with a Bushnell scope. It was supposed to be a Banner, but turned out to be a rimfire scope, of course I wasn't surprised since it cost right at $300 OTD. The first shot from it and the cross hairs dropped sideways in the scope. I sent it in to Bushnell and they replaced it free, and luckily I had a Simmons and put it on the Axis. When the Bushnell came back I put it on my Grandsons Crickett 22 single shot. I still have the 30-06 and it still shoots a three shot group at 100 yards that is covered by a quarter.

J.Baker
03-28-2022, 06:40 PM
Trying to apply logic and reason to anything Savage does these days in terms of models and price point is a waste of time and energy.

I'm still trying to figure out why Savage decided to sabotage the sales of their higher end 110 offerings by offering the Axis II, or offering an Axis I/II with a heavy barrel or chassis-style stock options. The Axis is a base/budget model that was solely created to compete with the other "bottom of the barrel" bolt-action centerfires on the market at that minimal price point. Not only is the Axis cheaper for Savage to produce, but they also have a lower markup % than the higher end 110 models to better compete in that base/budget market segment. As such, loading the Axis I/II up with premium features like those mentioned above just pulls sales away from their higher end (and higher profit margin) premium line.

The same could be asked regarding why Savage continues to offer the Mark I/II/93 series rifles (or the Model 64) when doing so takes sales away from their newer and much better A-Series and B-Series rimfire rifles. The older models are noticeably cheaper and Savage still insists on offering them in 101 flavors with every manner of barrel weight and stock type combination imaginable. If Savage were smart they would limit the Mark and 64-series rifles to just a select few SSKU's with basic accompaniments (sporter barrel with a black synthetic or hardwood stock). This ensures they still have a budget friendly "low cost" option on the market, but wouldn't pull sales away from their higher tier lines for those consumer who are more looking for specific features rather than basic functionality/utility.

wbm
03-29-2022, 09:15 AM
Trying to apply logic and reason to anything Savage does these days in terms of models and price point is a waste of time and energy.

Yep.

Fuj'
03-30-2022, 06:56 AM
I don't think Savage is trying to sabotage sales of the higher end models at all.
The guy's in the know, would spring for the the 110's, but the average shooter
with a family, will take the bargain. Remember, Walmart is the key here and not
an LGS. Walmart pushes quantity at a decent price. An LGS will sell the same
Axis for $100 bucks more. And places like Walmart will buy thousands of guns
for warehouse distribution. They will buy the cheapest they can unload quickly
which would be the Axis. It's not the fault of Savage, it's just business. Quantity
buying has the power.

wbm
03-30-2022, 08:34 AM
Good point.

Not sure whether it is product availability or what but both the Walmarts where I am in South Carolina and the ones in New Mexico no longer have Savage rifles for sale.

charlie b
03-30-2022, 03:53 PM
Yep. A few years ago when I bought my Axis at Walmart it was in North Carolina. I was surprised cause I could buy a rifle there with a Texas residence. Just not pistols.