PDA

View Full Version : Thread issue?

Pages : [1] 2 3

mjbgalt
03-09-2022, 10:06 PM
I bought an er shaw barrel from eabco. It's a 260, blued. I am trying to put it on my Stevens 200. It keeps sticking. I screwed it right into the axis action I have sitting here. So it's not the barrel.

Ideas?

Robinhood
03-09-2022, 11:19 PM
Inspect the id threads of the action, Feel for any sharp proud metal. If needed take some 320 or 400, wrap around finger and use it to polish the burrs off. If that doesn't work.
You might want to run a 1 1/16"-20 tap in the action. If that does not work have a machinist check the thread pitch diameter or say "Hey Eabco, How do you want to handle this"?

GrenGuy
03-09-2022, 11:25 PM
Probably those little bead blast balls stuck in there with gunk. Put some penetrating oil down the action threads from the inside and clean the threads with a small wire brush. Then put some oil on the barrel threads and work the barrel into the action until You reach an obstruction, and work it back and forth. Don’t force it. Happens often. Patiently working thread on thread always clears it.

edit: I just took down a 12 FV. What a mess. When the nut didn’t break down with 100 foot pounds of torque, I applied the heat. Then it came loose with 70#s. The threads were full of the balls and tar like stuff. I had to heat the nut to get it off the barrel. Took some work with Kroil to get the whole mess cleaned up.

mjbgalt
03-09-2022, 11:26 PM
I also screwed an axis 25-06 barrel into the Stevens.

Fordoldfart
03-09-2022, 11:38 PM
These later Savages blueing process leaves the threads trashy and they tend to galled the action threads when you remove the barrels. I had to buy the 1 1/16 - 20 tap to chase the threads on the last two I did.

mjbgalt
03-09-2022, 11:45 PM
I put grease in the threads and tried working it in and out but it still sticks. I think if I had a barrel vise I could just keep pushing and it would get past it

mjbgalt
03-09-2022, 11:51 PM
Or perhaps er shaw made it a couple thousandths bigger than savage?

gbflyer
03-10-2022, 11:47 AM
It shouldn’t be a struggle, should go easy. I’d be careful about forcing it, barrel steel is fairly soft and the action is not so much.

One other thing, check the front scope base mount holes. Sometimes there’s a burr. More than once a base mounting screw has protruded and caused problems also.

mjbgalt
03-10-2022, 12:41 PM
I thought of that. Doesn't look like the mount screws are protruding. I even removed them just in case.

mnbogboy2
03-10-2022, 03:03 PM
It shouldn’t be a struggle, should go easy. I’d be careful about forcing it, barrel steel is fairly soft and the action is not so much.

One other thing, check the front scope base mount holes. Sometimes there’s a burr. More than once a base mounting screw has protruded and caused problems also.
What action wrench areyouusing? Thewheelerwrenchihae has21/2-24 finetreadboltstatwil clampdowonthereiever andsdistort iteoughtoprevent a barrel from screwingin or outbyhand!
It may be that you have youractionwrench too tight. The1/4-28fiethreadboltthatlockstheactiontotheactionwrench may alsobethreaded in too far.
The barrel nutshouldeasilyspinonyhandalsoandwilltellyouifyour arreltreadsaretoo large orgummedupsoehow. Ifthebarrelnut screws ineasily, the barrel shouldscrewintheactionwiththesaeease

mjbgalt
03-10-2022, 03:21 PM
I am screwing it in by hand at this point.

GrenGuy
03-10-2022, 07:48 PM
If You got another barrel in that action, then it must be something with the threads on the new barrel. Proud spot or foreign material. Easy to clean or fix. If Your removing barrels, You must at least have a Bench vise? Just put the barrel between 2 pieces of wood in the vise, proceed as mentioned before. It could be that You need a tap, but I doubt it.

mnbogboy2
03-10-2022, 08:42 PM
I am screwing it in by hand at this point.

Glad you go it moving.what did you go stay caused thegrief?

celltech
03-10-2022, 08:45 PM
I bought a barrel once that was cut too small and went in waaaay to easy, although the nut would tighten down. If you have a mic get a 3 wire set and settle it once and for all.

mjbgalt
03-10-2022, 09:00 PM
Glad you go it moving.what did you go stay caused thegrief?

I mean that I was not using a vise yet. It it still not going in

Blue Avenger
03-10-2022, 09:15 PM
front scope base screw still in?
can you see a dent in the threads on the barrel you removed from the screw?

mjbgalt
03-10-2022, 09:20 PM
Took the screws out. Still no.

mjbgalt
03-10-2022, 09:51 PM
Maybe something is wrong with the barrel. I tried and it will not go into the axis all the way either

gbflyer
03-10-2022, 10:51 PM
Suspect the pitch diameter is a little too tight on the barrel tenon. Send it back. Kind of a pitfall on a prefit.

mjbgalt
03-10-2022, 10:57 PM
What a pain in the ass. I could have threads turned right? Wonder if anti-seize would help?