PDA

View Full Version : Thread issue?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

gbflyer
03-10-2022, 11:48 PM
Just a .001 is all it takes. Manufacturers try to get them too tight which is unnecessary especially with dissimilar metals. Don’t feel bad. It happens sometimes even with the more expensive choices. Better to step back before it gets F-d up.

mnbogboy2
03-11-2022, 02:16 AM
What a pain in the ass. I could have threads turned right? Wonder if anti-seize would help?
I've used antisieze on acouplevofthem but never had one that wouldnt turn in by hand. If the stainless barrel gets tootighti n the stee lreciever it may gall the twopiees andseize up completely. As gbflyer says dont force it, it might maketthings wors!.
Does thenutturnoneasilybyhand? If youdonthavea vise, then how did yougetthenutoffithefirstplace?
Do the newthreadsfeel real sharp?as a razor, theymayhave wen cuttoodeep. A machinistcouldcheckthem withpdwires. I've taken a large flat file across the thread tops(crests) before to reduce the height wheng i thought they were too tight.because the nut didntvsrew on byhandeadily.
I also have a thread die I bought from brownells several years ago.if I feel itisntturning together witheaseby hand I clean upthethreadswiththe die.i also purchased anotherdie forremingtonsonlinefrom a platcalled tools& cutters. They may have the savage size1-1/16-20 also vs theremington 1-1/16-16.
By farthenut fit determines whatidowiththethreads. A good machinistmay neabletopickup thdthreadson hislathe and clean them up and knock offthesharpcrests.
As far as a vise, I mounted a wheeler action wrench tomybench top thatholdsthe action whileremoving andinstallingthe nut. I also have a wheeler barrel vise that I use in conjunction with the action wrench to remove Remington barrels.

mjbgalt
03-11-2022, 10:09 AM
The nut fits fine

gbflyer
03-11-2022, 10:52 AM
Do you have a gunsmith machinist anywhere near you? It would be a short job to pick up the threads on the lathe and make it fit if you’re dead set against sending it back. It would take longer to setup than to finish the threading. I would wonder if they didn’t cut the threads correctly, what else did they do wrong? I would advise against any temptation to come up with a redneck threading die solution. Knocking the major diameter down with a file might work but generally the problem is at the pitch diameter and that requires threading it deeper, preferably single point on a lathe. Not unusual that the nut fits. They are generally threaded a bit loose.

mjbgalt
03-11-2022, 12:34 PM
Yeah...I am not paying $200 to have my buddy fix the $200 barrel. Emailed ea brown this morning

mnbogboy2
03-11-2022, 03:37 PM
I also screwed an axis 25-06 barrel into the Stevens.
Didyoutrytheshaw barrel in theaxis? If it goes inthereitisprobablynotthe barrel.

gbflyer
03-11-2022, 03:56 PM
Yeah...I am not paying $200 to have my buddy fix the $200 barrel. Emailed ea brown this morning

By far the best policy. If anyone else puts tool to steel on it I’m sure they are going to tell you to pound sand. I bet they take care of it. Let us know how it turns out. Super frustrating.

GrenGuy
03-11-2022, 06:35 PM
Perhaps You could provide us with some more information. How are You removing and installing Your barrels, what tools do You have? I’m not yet convinced it’s not something very simple. It’s tough to give advice when we can’t get our hands on the hardware.

If I understand correctly, You are able to start the new barrel into the intended action partly? This would indicate that any problem with the Barrel threads would be from that point forward. It should be easy to see or measure a problem.

If You can’t figure it out with the advice provided, I suggest You call ER Shaw. I have ordered barrels directly from them, and they are great folks to work with. I don’t really see what EA Brown can do for You.

mjbgalt
03-11-2022, 06:43 PM
I use a nut wrench to remove barrels. Typically a sharp rap on the wrench gets them loose or tightened. I have used a vise in the past. I thread them in by hand and then tighten once I get headspace set. I contacted ea brown, who got me a return label from er Shaw. I will let you guys know how it goes. I do not have a micrometer so I can't give you more info than that it's tight

GrenGuy
03-11-2022, 07:18 PM
That is good news. Obviously, better than I expected. Hope your solution is fast and smooth.

mnbogboy2
03-11-2022, 11:48 PM
I use a nut wrench to remove barrels. Typically a sharp rap on the wrench gets them loose or tightened. I have used a vise in the past. I thread them in by hand and then tighten once I get headspace set. I contacted ea brown, who got me a return label from er Shaw. I will let you guys know how it goes. I do not have a micrometer so I can't give you more info than that it's tight
If youcanlocatea digital caliper I would measurethetreadoutsidediaetereoreyoushipitack. Then remeasurewhenitisretired. Iftheyrecut the threats itmsyeduploose
Another member on herehadonesolooseitcateditsef when tighteeddown anditwouldotallow the bore to alignwiththescope. Thatiswhy macinegroudrecoilligsaresoiportant. A loosefitwill wobble onthethreads when itissreweditotheaction. Factoryrecoillugsarenotflatbitsometiesthickeronone side comparedtotheotherandallowthebarreltopish/pulltoonesidewhentheutissuggedup

mnbogboy2
03-11-2022, 11:56 PM
If youcanlocatea digital caliper I would measurethetreadoutsidediaetereoreyoushipitack. Then remeasurewhenitisretired. Iftheyrecut the threats itmsyeduploose
Another member on herehadonesolooseitcateditsef when tighteeddown anditwouldotallow the bore to alignwiththescope. Thatiswhy macinegroudrecoilligsaresoiportant. A loosefitwill wobble onthethreads when itissreweditotheaction. Factoryrecoillugsarenotflatbitsometiesthickeronone side comparedtotheotherandallowthebarreltopish/pulltoonesidewhentheutissuggedup
The last thing I wouldtrywithyoursistocolorthethreads with valuing or A sharpies and screwitinutilitbids up. The bluingorsharpiewill runoffattheinterferecepoit.
The thread die or tap wouldcostasuchas a new arrel!

Yousaidyoulooseed the nutbyhittingthebarrel nutwrench. Did the old barrel unsreweasilybyhand? If it did then youareprobablygoodtogo If you deterinetheinterferecepoit. If the threads havea"dig" from handling, shawwillfindit. Ifyou had a thread file then youcouldclean theming up byhand.

mnbogboy2
03-11-2022, 11:59 PM
Hopeyouge****traighteedoutsoon, goodluck

mjbgalt
03-11-2022, 11:59 PM
Yes it came off by hand easily

mjbgalt
03-15-2022, 05:36 PM
They want me to send them the barrel and my action. Mailing tomorrow morning

Robinhood
03-15-2022, 10:20 PM
The peaks of the threads are too large in diameter. (They are rubbing in the valley of the action threads.) That could be found by using a 1"-2" micrometer. It is easier to do in a machine but sandpaper has fixed many outside threads due to this issue. Anytime a 60* single point tool is used to cut threads, sandpaper knocks the peaks down if you hold the sandpaper wrapped around the threads and twist back and forth.

The type of insert used when machining can keep this from happening.

It really is a simple fix. The pitch diameter does not change if you remove a few thousands from the OD. Ask any machinist.

mjbgalt
03-16-2022, 02:33 PM
That was my thought too. But hopefully they intend to make it fit and the upside is it will likely be assembled for me

mjbgalt
04-26-2022, 07:55 PM
I finally got around to sending it in two days ago and it's on the way back already. Will let you guys know when I know more

Dave Hoback
04-26-2022, 08:36 PM
Where’d you send it, ED Brown? Did he charge you?

mjbgalt
04-27-2022, 09:02 PM
One day turnaround. To shaw. It's assembled and all good to go but no notes or anything so I dunno what the issue was or how they fixed it. No complaints though...very quick and efficient