PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Hunter Stock Action and Magazine Compatibility

vihkr
03-04-2022, 11:40 AM
I recently came into possession of a Lightweight Hunter stock and magazine, minus the action and barrel. It looks like it would make a good base for a stalking rifle. Other than buying a new 111 Lightweight Hunter, I'd rather take another Savage (or Stevens 200?) action and drop it in with a new barrel. What actions can I use for this stock? It looks like the magazine release is to the front of the mag well.

Curtism1234
03-04-2022, 09:29 PM
If I am not mistaken, the recoil lug is angled differently in the lightweight hunter (or something to that affect)

Newtosavage
03-05-2022, 12:18 AM
I've used LWH stocks for normal short action builds. They make great stocks if you want to keep the weight down.

Robinhood
03-05-2022, 05:49 PM
You are looking for a 4.4 screw spaced bottom bolt release action. The magazine that came with the stock should work. I am not aware of the recoil lug being different. The Accustock has a different recoil lug. That is well documented on this forum

Beowoulf2000
03-05-2022, 11:24 PM
… Other than buying a new 111 Lightweight Hunter, I'd rather take another Savage (or Stevens 200?) action and drop it in with a new barrel. What actions can I use for this stock? …
The LWH was made in both long action and short action configurations (10/110, 11/111, 16/116). If the distance between receiver screws on your donor stock is 4.4 inches you’ll need a short-action bottom bolt release receiver; if 5.062 inches, then you’ll need a long-action bottom bolt release receiver. Drop-in barrels seem easier to find in small-shank configurations so that may be a consideration in choosing a receiver.

Robinhood
03-06-2022, 01:30 PM
The LWH was made in both long action and short action configurations (10/110, 11/111, 16/116). If the distance between receiver screws on your donor stock is 4.4 inches you’ll need a short-action bottom bolt release receiver; if 5.062 inches, then you’ll need a long-action bottom bolt release receiver. Drop-in barrels seem easier to find in small-shank configurations so that may be a consideration in choosing a receiver.

Thank You Beowolf.

And honestly you could use a top release. You might need to dremel some clearance for the top release and your trigger guard would have a useless bolt release button but it can work.

vihkr
03-07-2022, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the details. I noticed too that small shank prefits are more common. Is there a reference somewhere for which actions are small shank and short or long? Perhaps on this site?

Beowoulf2000
03-07-2022, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the details. I noticed too that small shank prefits are more common. Is there a reference somewhere for which actions are small shank and short or long? Perhaps on this site?

To provide a little context, here’s a link to a FAQ article about when Savage started making large shank barrels and why:
https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?127-Savage-Barrel-Shank-Sizes

In general, large shank barrels are used on models with target actions (PTA) to accommodate wide bull barrels and on barrels chambered for magnum cartridges that are based on particularly wide parent cases (such as .404 Jeffery or 375 Ruger). However, the caveat with Savages is that there are always caveats. The “leftovers in the parts bin” theory means there are occasionally model/cartridge combos that wouldn’t normally have a large shank but do.
With regards to long action vs short, in the good old days before 2018, Model 10-series rifles used a two-digit model number for short actions and 3-digits for long (10/110, 11/111, etc). People were familiar with the distinction so I guess it had to change. New 10-Series models are all called “110” regardless of receiver length. Receiver length is inferred by cartridge chambering: SAAMI COAL < 3” = short-action; longer cartridges, long action.

All this is a long-winded way to say “Best to ask before you buy” :)comfortable

Beowoulf2000
03-07-2022, 07:21 PM

Also, do you want a conversation about receivers milled for stagger-feed magazine vs centerfeed or receivers for CRF bolt heads vs push feed or are you good?

PhilC
03-08-2022, 11:53 AM
FYI, short action 110s existed prior to 2018, my wife's 7-08 is a 110GX and was purchased new in '88 or '89. ;-)

vihkr
03-08-2022, 03:27 PM
Also, do you want a conversation about receivers milled for stagger-feed magazine vs centerfeed or receivers for CRF bolt heads vs push feed or are you good?
Considering I didn't know any Savage actions were designed for CRF, I'd say yes, thanks.

Beowoulf2000
03-08-2022, 05:29 PM
FYI, short action 110s existed prior to 2018, my wife's 7-08 is a 110GX and was purchased new in '88 or '89. ;-)

Lol! Caveats on top of caveats. Since the OP is trying to build off a LWH stock, I figured I'd stick to what is applicable since 2011. Probably should have said so:)

motonick34
03-08-2022, 05:52 PM
Considering I didn't know any Savage actions were designed for CRF, I'd say yes, thanks.

I'm also interested in this knowledge.

Beowoulf2000
03-08-2022, 07:11 PM

It's unlikely it will be an issue for your build but since I opened this can of worms...

Prior to 2005, Savage magazines utilized a staggered feed design (https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?260-Savage-110-Detachable-Box-Magazine-Systems). When they introduced models using the new short magnums (WSM, SAUM) in 2001-sh(?) they changed the design for models in those cartridges from a push-feed to a CRF. The reason was the stagger-feed magazine combined with the push-feed bolt head would drop these fat, rebated-rim cartridges into the mag well. If you search around (and are a little lucky) you'll find posts describing exactly this problem. In 2005-2008, Savage changed the stagger-feed magazines/receivers to center-feed. This fixed the problems with failure to feed with the push-feed bolt head. So when they converted a "fat" magnum to center-feed, they also changed the CRF to push-feed. This would be a problem for you if you buy an older rifle or receiver with a CRF bolt head/receiver. The problem wouldn't be the CRF but the incompatibility between your center-feed stock with a stagger-feed receiver. In short, if you want a CRF receiver/bolt in your LWH center-feed stock you can't get there from here (without some significant machining, anyway:)
The easiest way to do what you want is to buy a completed action from one of the third-party OEM vendors. Their customer service should make sure their "Peg A" fits into your "Slot B."
If you want to more aggressively pursue price and availability in used firearms then ensuring compatibility with your stock becomes riskier or at least requires a lot more information. You say you have a stock and magazine but it's not clear if your stock has the bottom metal/trigger guard. If not, buying used gets riskier still. In that case I recommend you dig into the Forum posts and articles regarding bottom metal compatibility (and post more questions). These should get you started:
https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?128-Savage-Action-Lengths
https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?325-Choosing-the-Right-DBM-Stock-Bottom-Metal-Parts-Tutorial
https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?260-Savage-110-Detachable-Box-Magazine-Systems
https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?185-Center-feed-Magazine-Timeline

Final note: You could fill a file box with the number of posts on this forum describing problems fitting this cartridge into that magazine. You don't say for what cartridge the original firearm was chambered. Knowing that will help inform what cartridge you choose for your new build. You might need a new magazine as well.

gkainz
03-08-2022, 08:29 PM
Tagging in for later review, as I ventured down the build my own from a box of parts path recently. It’s been a learning experience and I will probably end up with enough extra parts to build another 1 or 2 …

Beowoulf2000
03-09-2022, 01:28 AM
...I will probably end up with enough extra parts to build another 1 or 2 …

Probably not a bad thing these days. Used gun parts now are like used Harley Davidson’s in the ‘90s; they sell for much higher than MSRP😩

PhilC
03-09-2022, 11:02 AM
Lol! Caveats on top of caveats. Since the OP is trying to build off a LWH stock, I figured I'd stick to what is applicable since 2011. Probably should have said so:)
Yeah, and I probably should have said not that it matters for OP too. LOL.

Now, if I could find a way to con that 7-08 back from my DIL...:cool: