PDA

View Full Version : New member and new Savage owner

chrt396
11-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Hi to all. I'm a newbie from Tampa Bay area...and I've been a Savage owner for 4 days..and a extremely THRILLED Savage owner for about 6 hours! I have a half a dozen hunting rifles from Remington 700BDL, Thompson Center Icon, Ruger, Browning X-Bolt and a couple Ar-15 style guns. I was down at the local gun store..Kastle Keep in Largo, Fla., and I saw this super good looking rifle. It was the Savage Model 10 FCP with the 5R threaded barrel. Accutrigger and Accustock. I held that bad boy and piddled with it for an hour! This is one of those stores where the rifles are on the wall where the customer can actually touch, feel and otherwise molest them. I decided in an instant that I wanted it. Usually, I want to think about it and ponder my decision before I lay down some hard earned cash. For some reason...this rule did not apply on this rifle. I felt that if I didn't buy it then, that i would miss out on something great! Call it a hunch. I bought a somewhat inexpensive Konus Pro M30 4.5 x 16 x 40 scope that actually turned out to be quite nice! I felt as if I was being cheap on the scope since I impulsively bought the rifle!

Anyway...I digress. I had to run around town to find the scope base mounts...and then all over again to find the 30mm TACTICAL Rings. One of the vendors mounted and bore sighted the scope and I was off and running! I've been staring at the rifle for three days..waiting for the weekend to go to the range.

OK...enough of the boring timeline! After sighting it in at 25 yards...I moved to the 100 yard range. After being all over the target in 4 shots, I figured out that the guy who boresighted it, never tightened the rings to the base. It was flopping all over the place. Tightened it...down to business!

Using Federal Premium MatchKing 168 grain BTHP ammo, I shot 8 rounds..actually nine...but we'll get to that in a minute. All 8 shots group in the center of the target with a total diameter of 3/4 inch. The 9th shot was from a Hornady round that I had laying in my ammo can that I decided to shoot, and it missed the group by 1/4 inch. This rifle is the bomb!! The trigger was light and crisp. The recoil was less than my .308 Thompson Center Icon, and the ability to hold center without moving using only sand bags was incredibly stable. This rifle is GREAT! I was also able to blow up 35 rounds in one sitting with very little cool off time, except to change targets and did not lose any accuracy. The ol' hunting rifles cannot make that claim! I shoot 5 or 6 rounds and then let it cool for 10-15 minutes or I lose accuracy.

I may sound overly excited...and you are correct! There is NOTHING like an accurate firearm..and I have been made a true believer this day in November, 2010 of the Savage line. Love the feel...LOVE the trigger! I have a feeling that the other rifles are going to feel neglected in the next few months!

Sorry for being so long winded on my first post...but I'm sure one of you will understand my overly enthusiastic attitude!

chrt396
11-27-2010, 09:57 PM
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l241/chrt396/DSC02415.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l241/chrt396/DSC02406.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l241/chrt396/DSC02414.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l241/chrt396/DSC02411.jpg

Captain Finlander
11-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Congratulations and welcome to the club.

I know the feeling, nobody stocks anything anymore. Even the Bass Pro in my back yard has a very large selection of crap when it comes to rings and bases, had to order everything online. It looks like you couldn't find any low mount 30mm either.

chrt396
11-27-2010, 10:55 PM
Ya know...I'm taking the medium mounts and taking them back and exchanging them. Good observation! They are a tad too high. Cant really get comfortable with the scope edging a little up on the bore. I bought those..THINKING that the bolt handle wouldn't clear when I opened it up. I now feel as if there will be enough room to use the low profile rings.

chrt396
11-27-2010, 11:00 PM
Congratulations and welcome to the club.

I know the feeling, nobody stocks anything anymore. Even the Bass Pro in my back yard has a very large selection of crap when it comes to rings and bases, had to order everything online. It looks like you couldn't find any low mount 30mm either.

You are right! A couple of gun shops in the area stopped carrying accessories due to the extreme competition via the internet. There are so many different styles, shapes and specs that it's almost impossible to carry a good selection of anything. Bass Pro shops!! I LOVE that place! When I get a chance, i drive over to Orlando just to spend a few hours in that place! Forget Disneyworld...I'll take Bass Pro Shops! They are expensive, but nice selection of shooting and hunting supplies.

teebirdhyzer
11-27-2010, 11:51 PM
Welcome to the sickness bro! I bought my first Savage 5 months ago, and now own 4 with my 5th one in the works! They are amazingly accurate rifles, and especially for the $$$. looks like you got a great one.

chrt396
11-28-2010, 02:01 AM
Welcome to the sickness bro! I bought my first Savage 5 months ago, and now own 4 with my 5th one in the works! They are amazingly accurate rifles, and especially for the $$$. looks like you got a great one.

Sickness it is! It's amazing just how many people have told me that I've lost my mind! In a good way that is! I was told that the rifle accepted silencers..which I really have no reason to need one..other than it would be cool. It costs the motherload and a lot of time and effort to get the paperwork needed for one as well as the $200-250 EXTRA tax that they charge you from the US govt.. I'd have to spend $500-600 just for the right to have one..then another 5-700 to buy one! I don't think so!

I bought a Vortex flash suppressor just to add something to the end of the barrel instead of a finisher nut. It ought to look a tad better!
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l241/chrt396/Adapter15.jpg

Uncle Jack
11-28-2010, 07:25 AM
FYI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

uj

hailstone
11-28-2010, 07:35 AM
You need too find a different FFL dealer or bend over and grab your anckles. Transfer tax is $200, silencer varies but mine was $300, fingerprint fees - $10, passport type photos - $40, plus postage and money order fees - $6.75 for grand total of $556.75. The can was for a 223 caliber rifle which gets used on my AR, 22 LR and bolt rifles when I get the barrels threaded.

fatdaddy
11-28-2010, 09:15 AM
Not to get too far off topic, but what brand of can did you get for 300.00 that would handle the 223's psi? I'v been kickin it around too. Bill

macon
11-28-2010, 05:32 PM
the savages are great rifles,ive shot some of the best rifles made i believe and the savages are winning me over.i have been dominating paintball shoots with my savage 204 with a vortex viper scope , good shootn

Rifleman51
11-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Welcome to the site and welcome to the wonderful world of Savage rifles.
They are the best rifle made hands down. You will have a great time with it and the ability to change barrels so easily is a major bonus.

I enjoy my .308 so much, I started going broke buying bullets, powder and primers, so I also bought a Savage rim fire bolt rifle.

It's just as accurate and fun. By having both, I can keep my practice up.
I've fallen in love with the centerfire and the rim fire Savages.
After Christmas when the money is caught up, look at a Savage rimfire also
Enjoy, John K

ellobo
11-29-2010, 01:24 AM
These newbies hant experienced the thrill of Savage copper mining yet, but they will.

Wl Lobo

chrt396
11-29-2010, 01:50 AM
These newbies hant experienced the thrill of Savage copper mining yet, but they will.

Wl Lobo

I'm a clean freak...I'm sure I'll experience it soon! I just had a marathon date with a pre-owned Remington 700 BDL 243 that had not been cleaned of copper for what seemed forever! I was pulling crap out of that barrel for 6 hours straight...with 15 minute breaks in between!

chrt396
12-01-2010, 04:27 AM
The scope has been remounted with low profile rings. Here is the difference. Big difference. Instead of looking like a growth on the rifle, it looks more integrated.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l241/chrt396/DSC02453.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l241/chrt396/DSC02451.jpg

GaCop
12-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Welcome to the dark side. Wait until you do your first barrel change, you'll be hooked for good.

chrt396
12-02-2010, 12:50 AM
Welcome to the dark side. Wait until you do your first barrel change, you'll be hooked for good.

Don't tease me!! ::)