PDA

View Full Version : 110 Storm 300 WSM Barrel Profile

Chris_in_Idaho
02-28-2022, 02:22 AM
Does anybody have a 300 WSM and can measure the barrel OD four inches back from the muzzle (as if it were a 20 inch barrel)?

Thank you!

Dave Hoback
02-28-2022, 02:29 AM
Wondering the reason you want that? Seriously..:redface-new:

Chris_in_Idaho
02-28-2022, 10:48 AM
Wondering the reason you want that? Seriously..:redface-new:

Wondering the outside diameter at 20 inches? Seriously...

Dave Hoback
02-28-2022, 11:15 AM
I’m sorry, I meant that in a genuinely curious way.. thoughtfully. It wasn’t meant emphatically, which by your answer repeating it, I believe you misunderstood. The problem with typing sometimes. We can’t hear the inflection in each other’s voices. I sure it sounded to you as
“SERIOUS-ly!:rolleyes:”, with a scoffing/insulting tone. When what I was trying to convey was: “I’m asking in a serious manner.”, in an inquisitive tone.

Just wanted to clarify, because a simple misunderstanding on one’s part forms their disposition towards another person.

Chris_in_Idaho
02-28-2022, 11:59 AM
I agree that inflection and tone are absent in typing and that can cause things to be taken other than how they meant. Taking a second look, my wise crack this morning doesn't come off nearly as funny as I intended it to. I apologize.

I am wondering what the muzzle diameter would be if I were to cut a 300wsm storm barrel back to 20 inches, so I can decide what thread pattern would work best.

I must confess I've seen many questions on forums get derailed by people arguing the reasons for asking a question instead of answering it. For instance "Don't cut a magnum down to 20 inches..." Or "you don't need a suppressor for hunting..." These may or may not be valid opinions, but I didn't come here to decide if I want to build a short hunting rifle, but to ask about a specific dimension.

My snarky reply was an attemp to side step the "why would you want to do that" discussion in hopes of getting an answer to my actual question.

Wow, I'm coming off like a jerk this morning... Sorry, I promise I'm a friendly guy.

Dave Hoback
02-28-2022, 05:34 PM
No worries. I don’t think that at all about you. Just was wondering your want for that specific diameter. And now I know.:surprise:

I wish I had one handy & could tell you. It wouldn’t be too bad on a Sporter barrel. But on a Bull or even Varmint barrel, it will be pretty thick. Closer to an inch on the Bull. Over .900 for the Varmint.

sharpshooter
02-28-2022, 09:52 PM
The no bullshit answer.... approx .600"

Chris_in_Idaho
03-01-2022, 09:29 AM
Thank you very much!