PDA

View Full Version : Large Shank Long Action sources? Any new guns still being made?

Pages : 1 [2]

Beowoulf2000
03-11-2022, 01:57 PM
I'm wondering when Savage will make Target actions again. I'm looking for a dual port and everybody seems to be sold out.

I haven’t heard they stopped manufacturing the PTA. For whatever reason they’re not on the website. At least I can’t find them. But they are still listed in current PDF catalog. I did a quick search using the MPN and found an RBRP with .223 bolt head at Vizard’s:
https://vizardsgunsandammo.com/savage-18636-action-target-action-savage-1/
Anyway, it’s labeled as “In Stock.”
If you don’t normally search using “Savage MPN” give it try. Seems to work for me.

HammerDown
03-13-2022, 01:18 AM
There you go bridgeport, scoop up that dual port action!

I haven’t heard they stopped manufacturing the PTA. For whatever reason they’re not on the website. At least I can’t find them. But they are still listed in current PDF catalog. I did a quick search using the MPN and found an RBRP with .223 bolt head at Vizard’s:
https://vizardsgunsandammo.com/savage-18636-action-target-action-savage-1/
Anyway, it’s labeled as “In Stock.”
If you don’t normally search using “Savage MPN” give it try. Seems to work for me.

cdherman
03-15-2022, 02:41 PM
He may want to be able to seat the bullets further out than what will fit in the short action magazine, but still wants a repeater.

That would be correct.

But I have since given up on a LA Large shank. Partly, because I realized that I would need to re-throat the barrel to allow for longer seating in the LA. The barrel was originally throated specifically with a dummy cartridge that allow seating of the 180 VLD such that it would just barely fit in the Savage internal box magazine. Savage SA are a smidge longer than Remmy, so it really didn't look that bad. I've started to question heavy VLD in the 7mm Saum. I think I'll try some lighter bullets and give up on the 1000 yard stuff. It doesn't hurt that in the meantime I have a 7 RM that is shooting the 195s good. So why try to achieve the same trick with the 7 SAUM??

Anyhow, thanks for all the discussion fellas. Shilen is sending my Saum barrel back today. They scoped it, reheat treated it, recrowned it, and agreed with me that they could not find a reason it was not a better shooter. I'm going to try again. This time in an XLR SA Chassis. Maybe my pillar bedding in the Boyds laminate stock was faulty..

efm77
03-15-2022, 04:36 PM
Not my preference, but I just thought of another option. I haven't seen it discussed in a while, but I know some smiths have done it. You can take the large shank barrel and have it turned down to the small shank size. Then it will fit in a small shank action.

Blue Avenger
03-15-2022, 07:43 PM
Not my preference, but I just thought of another option. I haven't seen it discussed in a while, but I know some smiths have done it. You can take the large shank barrel and have it turned down to the small shank size. Then it will fit in a small shank action.

Requires someone that really knows how to set up a lath. There is not enough material to remove old and start new threads. You have to re-cut the old ones exactly or risk tearing them. If the 2 lathes do not match your going to have stress fractures.

efm77
03-16-2022, 08:16 AM
Requires someone that really knows how to set up a lath. There is not enough material to remove old and start new threads. You have to re-cut the old ones exactly or risk tearing them. If the 2 lathes do not match your going to have stress fractures.

Agreed. Another option that's more doable is having the small shank receiver re-threaded to large shank. That's actually pretty easy for a good smith to do. I've had that done a couple times with great success.

Zargon123
03-18-2022, 07:38 AM
I ran across this same problem when I decided to build another .338 Edge. Long story short, I just bought a brand new .338 Lapua 112 Magnum Target. I paid $899 and the rifle is a 3 bolt single shot solid top action with a red target trigger. I always prefer single shot if I plan to run longer heavier bullets.

Decided to run the factory .338 Lapua barrel for now and see how it shoots. I did increase the freebore so I could run 300gr SMK and Bergers without them being jammed too far into the case. You can rent a throater for about $40.