PDA

View Full Version : Rail compatibility

Son of a Texan
02-26-2022, 05:01 PM
Hello Folks,

A family member recently bought me a Vortex Optics Venom 5-25x56 rifle scope along with the
corresponding Vortex Optics Precision Matched Riflescope Rings (34mm) as a birthday present to
replace the scope I have on my Savage Axis XP 308 Win.

Would anyone happen to know if those Vortex scope rings would be compatible with a 20 MOA
EGW Picatinny Rail Scope Mount for Savage Edge/Axis/Axis2 ?

I'm really wanting to get into long range target shooting as a serious hobby.

If that 20 MOA rail isn't compatible with those rings, could any of you advise me on a rail that would
work? Much obliged to you all...

Dave Hoback
02-26-2022, 07:06 PM
Absa-tively! Yes.. the EGW 20MOA Pic rail will work perfectly. Personally, I’m a fan of the Talley 20MOA Picatinny rail.

Robinhood
02-26-2022, 08:40 PM
As a general rule match Picatinny rails with picatinny rings and Weaver rails with Weaver rings. It is a dimensional thing where the slant of the rail really does not come into play. Weaver was used mostly by hunters, Picatinny is Mil-spec and used by more tactical and heavier duty arms. The fact checkers may jump on this but it is as a general rule.

Dave Hoback
02-26-2022, 10:31 PM
As a general rule match Picatinny rails with picatinny rings and Weaver rails with Weaver rings. It is a dimensional thing where the slant of the rail really does not come into play. Weaver was used mostly by hunters, Picatinny is Mil-spec and used by more tactical and heavier duty arms. The fact checkers may jump on this but it is as a general rule.

I agree.. If you have a Weaver rail, you MUST use Weaver rings. Picatinny rings for don’t fit Weaver cut out cross sections. Weaver rings DO fit Picatinny cut out, but there is excessive play. And if your rings say they are “Picatinny/Weaver”, they are Weaver.. can’t be BOTH!

Son of a Texan
03-15-2022, 10:27 PM
Appreciate all the responses!