PDA

View Full Version : 260 rem or 6.5 cm or leave it 308 win

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MtnOak
02-26-2022, 02:12 PM
About to drive myself crazy sitting around here trying to figure out what I’m finishing this model 11 rifle re-build with, ordered a new Boyd stock, was going to go with a longer 308 win barrel (has a 22” barrel) now I’m thinking a 260 rem 1-9 twist 24” sportier barrel… OR….. 6.5 creedmore varmint 24”barrel 1-8 twist decisions decisions :noidea:

Also I’ve ordered the stock with a standard barrel channel , IF i go with the varmint barrel will I have to change the stock channel to fit a bull barrel, Boyds only gave 2 choices standard or bull ….
I actually think the varmint barrel I’m looking at looks more like heavy instead of bull.

wbm
02-26-2022, 02:38 PM
IF i go with the varmint barrel will I have to change the stock channel to fit a bull barrel,

Yes you will. I got the Boyd's Thumb Hole in standard...had to open it up when I got a Savage OEM Varmint barrel.

Between the three I would go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. I have two...one an Axis sporter and the other a Boyd's/Savage Varmint combination.

Robinhood
02-26-2022, 02:50 PM
Yes you will. I got the Boyd's Thumb Hole in standard...had to open it up when I got a Savage OEM Varmint barrel.

Between the three I would go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. I have two...one an Axis sporter and the other a Boyd's/Savage Varmint combination.

I like all three. Like WBM said, the ultimate in that bunch is the the Creedmoor. In these times I would attememt to by a good supply of ammo at the same time. You cant have either if you can't find one. A rifle with no ammo is worthless as is a pile of ammo with no rifle chambered in that cartridge.

Dave Hoback
02-26-2022, 07:03 PM
I’m wondering, why are you debating a 260 Rem 1:9 Sporter barrel, but a 6.5CM 1:8 Varmint barrel? Go 1:8 either way. .264 caliber is a waste if it’s not.

wbm
02-26-2022, 07:58 PM
either way. .264 caliber is a waste if it’s not.

Well "if it's not" then what?

Dave check out ur AR thread.

justinp61
02-26-2022, 08:06 PM
I bought a LH Mdl 11 308 early last year to build a 260 with the action and stock. I screwed on a 1-9 twist 24" SS Shilen Select match barrel and couldn't be happier, it's shot 3/8" at 100 yards with Sierra 120gr Pro Hunters. I got the 1-9 twist because I'll never shoot anything heavier than 130 grain bullets. I have a 30-06 if I need more power.

Dave Hoback
02-26-2022, 09:41 PM
Fair enough. Let me rephrase: it’s a waste for those looking to long range targets to use 1:9. It still is a fine hunting round with the light pills. Although a 1:8 has no issues chucking the 123gr SMK’s out a long, long distance. With range and stability that far surpasses the 1:9. So not a waste for everyone. But a waste when comparing it to a Varmint contour 1:8 twist for the 6.5cm.

Newtosavage
02-27-2022, 12:16 AM
About to drive myself crazy sitting around here trying to figure out what I’m finishing this model 11 rifle re-build with, ordered a new Boyd stock, was going to go with a longer 308 win barrel (has a 22” barrel) now I’m thinking a 260 rem 1-9 twist 24” sportier barrel… OR….. 6.5 creedmore varmint 24”barrel 1-8 twist decisions decisions :noidea:

Also I’ve ordered the stock with a standard barrel channel , IF i go with the varmint barrel will I have to change the stock channel to fit a bull barrel, Boyds only gave 2 choices standard or bull ….
I actually think the varmint barrel I’m looking at looks more like heavy instead of bull.

Honestly not a hill of beans difference between them. Flip a coin between the CM and .308 and go shoot.

Dave Hoback
02-27-2022, 01:44 AM
Well "if it's not" then what?

Dave check out ur AR thread.

Sorry, I meant IMO, any cartridge using .264” bullets is a waste if not using 1:8. It’s the reason 260 was never all that popular. Manufactures used 1:9 twist barrel which only stabilize up to 120gr bullets...maybe 130gr(but not too great!). Those of us with 26”, 1:8 twist barrels, using 260 and reload, will always have a longer range than CM. I still always recommend 6.5cm to those who don’t reload. More ammunition options. But in reloading, and rifle set up correctly, the 260 will outrun the CM given equal weight pills.

It does sound like you should go 6.5cm though my friend. Seems right for you as you don’t have one yet. I am already heavily vested in 260. I have considerable funds tied up in reloading dies, powder, brass, etc., so it would be quite stupid for me to switch to 6.5cm. I wouldn’t gain anything. Not to mention I’m planning anyway to go 260AI on next rebarrel.

Txhillbilly
02-27-2022, 02:43 AM
Sorry, I meant IMO, any cartridge using .264” bullets is a waste if not using 1:8. It’s the reason 260 was never all that popular. Manufactures used 1:9 twist barrel which only stabilize up to 120gr bullets...maybe 130gr(but not too great!). Those of us with 26”, 1:8 twist barrels, using 260 and reload, will always have a longer range than CM. I still always recommend 6.5cm to those who don’t reload. More ammunition options. But in reloading, and rifle set up correctly, the 260 will outrun the CM given equal weight pills.

It does sound like you should go 6.5cm though my friend. Seems right for you as you don’t have one yet. I am already heavily vested in 260. I have considerable funds tied up in reloading dies, powder, brass, etc., so it would be quite stupid for me to switch to 6.5cm. I wouldn’t gain anything. Not to mention I’m planning anyway to go 260AI on next rebarrel.

The 260 has 50 fps on the 6.5 CM on average, just like the 6.5 CM has over the 6.5x47 Lapua. There's really nothing between the three when it comes to velocity. I've got two 6.5 CM's and a 260 Remington, shooting any of them long range is a toss up, they all shoot good.

Dave, I built a 260 AI a few years ago. The small velocity gains weren't worth the trouble and expense of fire forming brass and buying custom dies. I ended up taking the barrel back off and selling everything a couple months after I built it.

MtnOak
02-27-2022, 02:59 AM
I’m wondering, why are you debating a 260 Rem 1:9 Sporter barrel, but a 6.5CM 1:8 Varmint barrel? Go 1:8 either way. .264 caliber is a waste if it’s not.
They are the barrels I can get “right now” without having to wait 4-9 months on a custom build..

Dave Hoback
02-27-2022, 05:23 AM
The 260 has 50 fps on the 6.5 CM on average, just like the 6.5 CM has over the 6.5x47 Lapua. There's really nothing between the three when it comes to velocity. I've got two 6.5 CM's and a 260 Remington, shooting any of them long range is a toss up, they all shoot good.

Dave, I built a 260 AI a few years ago. The small velocity gains weren't worth the trouble and expense of fire forming brass and buying custom dies. I ended up taking the barrel back off and selling everything a couple months after I built it.

I agree with your first point. If you want to continue in that: and 6.5-284 has another 50-100fps or so over the 260. And it keeps going. & going... I simply said it can offer more. I know it’s not much, but my statement holds true, just as the CM is only 50fps or so above BBR the 6.5x47. So then, shouldn’t everyone go the 6.5x47 route? Course not..how boring. (Kinda like everyone running out to grab 6.5CM’s.)
My point was simply it’s not worth it for someone like me.

I don’t share your philosophy in your 2nd point. I’m not new to Improved cartridges. And remember, I’m not doing this for competition. I do it for love of game. You getting fed up with AI & moving to something else was what you wanted. However, the large base of those who go from standard to Improved, do not share your mindset. Most kick themselves for not going that route I the beginning. I’m not planning to waste powder/primers fire forming. I’ll load & shoot regular 260.(another great thing of the AI...shoot the standard of the same name.) Then I’ll load for AI. Price of Redding dies is similar to any other. And I’m not a caliber junkie anyway..loading half a dozen or more cartridges. I load 223 & 260.

Butt I digress.. my apologies to the OP. As I said before, you should just be patient & order a 6.5CM barrel. Spend the meantime learning everything you can spend it & trying to find ammo.

MtnOak
02-27-2022, 05:36 AM
Everyone in the country ran out and bought a 6.5 CM around here, I only know one other person that shoots a 260 rem, I don’t like doing what everyone else does, I kinda like doing the opposite…….prolly gonna roll with the 260 rem :cool: or stay with 308 win….

Fuj'
02-27-2022, 07:18 AM
I don’t like doing what everyone else does, I kinda like doing the opposite…….prolly gonna roll with the 260 rem :cool: or stay with 308 win….

How about splitting the difference between the 260 and the 308. Go 7/08 and better cover your bases.

Dave Hoback
02-27-2022, 09:42 AM
Everyone in the country ran out and bought a 6.5 CM around here, I only know one other person that shoots a 260 rem, I don’t like doing what everyone else does, I kinda like doing the opposite…….prolly gonna roll with the 260 rem :cool: or stay with 308 win….

I feel the same. Reminds me of when Matt (Rex) Tibor, (TiborasourusRex on YouTube), did a hilarious video joking about how Justin Bieber shoots a 6.5CM. He also has 260 Rem in his list of top calibers.

Fuj makes a good point. Although really not able to get into the high BC .284” bullets in the ‘08 case. Now Fuj’s 7mm-284? Sign me up!

wbm
02-27-2022, 10:13 AM
Now Fuj’s 7mm-284? Sign me up!

+1

Txhillbilly
02-27-2022, 10:31 AM
Fuj makes a good point. Although really not able to get into the high BC .284” bullets in the ‘08 case. Now Fuj’s 7mm-284? Sign me up!

I shoot the Hornady 162gr ELD-M's and Berger 168gr VLD's out of mine just fine, anything heavier does start taking up powder space. If I ever build another long action, it will be a 280, then you can really use the larger high BC .284" bullets.

yobuck
02-27-2022, 01:07 PM
I would personally stick with the 308 in the heavier barrel contour.
Lots of good bullets to choose from including those with the high BCs.
For every cartridge there is an ideal bullet weight, and using heavier higher BC bullets alone is akin to using higher octane gas in a 6 cylinder Chevy and expecting better performance.
Without more powder in the case, and thereby more velocity, the higher BC bullets wont gain you much if anything.
They are all good cartridges, including the 7/08, but they are what they are and are best used for what they are, because anything else they will never be.
Regardless of the type bullets used.

Dave Hoback
02-27-2022, 04:42 PM
Um.. OK. It’s actually very easy to look online at what people are doing with the 6.5mm’s in 260 & 6.5cm. They are doing things a 308 can’t even dream of doing on its BEST day!

justinp61
02-27-2022, 05:27 PM
I bought my first 260 in 2012, a Savage mdl 16, 1-8 twist, 22" pencil barrel. I couldn't get it to shoot anything (120-130gr) well, messed with it for several years and it never improved. A friend of mine bought a bore scope so we checked out my barrel. It looked horrible, it looked like balls of ss drug up in the rifling. I contacted Savage, explained what I had tried and sent them photos of the bore. To their credit, even though it was out of warrantee they rebarreled it, same profile and twist. It was better but still wouldn't hold 2" at 100 yards, the bore scope revealed another horrible looking barrel. I ordered a Shaw 24", 1-8" sporter contour barrel, I have yet to get it to shoot well.

After I bought the 308 donor rifle I talked to James at Northland, for what I'm doing (lighter bullets) he recommended the 1-9" twist. I am well pleased with my rifle, it shoots great, better than any of the previous three barrels.

I am in no way saying there is anything wrong with a 1-8" twist barrel because I've seen many nice shooting rifles that use it. I guess I just had three bad barrels in a row, I'm lucky that way.