PDA

View Full Version : 260 rem or 6.5 cm or leave it 308 win

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

mnbogboy2
03-02-2022, 02:18 AM
I bought 2 Kershaw 260s 1:9 twist at the same time and built one for my grandson and one for myself. I rechambered mine to a 6.5/257Roberts Ackley 40°, both were are greater rifles! In addition I have 5 6.5 creedmoor and a 6.5-06 I've had good luck with .264 also. Last year I rechambered a 6.5x55 Remington barrel to 6.5/257 Bob SO also and made a remage out of it for my model 700 Remington.

Whynot
03-02-2022, 04:36 PM
There is no distance I would rather a 308 over 260Rem OR 6.5CM. These two .264 rounds do everything a 308 does at shorter distances, and they both far surpass it in extended ranges. Of course if one is so inclined to believe in the nonsense of KNOCKDOWN power... or the myth of muzzle energy “Shocking” the animal to death... well... I Understand the “Why” behind some choosing 308. When I was a defensive pistol instructor, and in studying terminal ballistics, you learn not to rely on “knockdown” power or bullet “Shock” by way of muzzle energy. In that course of instruction, I taught what I had learned & know to be true. That a threat is stopped by one of 2 things by way of gunshot(s); either from blood loss or disruption of the central nervous system. I.E., a bullet severing the cervical spinal chord. That’s it. And this holds true for all game animals as well.

Not really the subject of the thread..... but what you are saying applies more to pistols than rifles.... "shock" waves are very much true with rifles. It creates forces that flesh can not withstand and instead of the shock creating a temporary wound channel it rips things apart.

Terminal ballistics of a pistol have nothing to do with rifle discussions....

Anyway- good choice of components..

Dave Hoback
03-02-2022, 04:40 PM
Not really the subject of the thread..... but what you are saying applies more to pistols than rifles.... "shock" waves are very much true with rifles. It creates forces that flesh can not withstand and instead of the shock creating a temporary wound channel it rips things apart.

Terminal ballistics of a pistol have nothing to do with rifle discussions....

Anyway- good choice of components..

Cool.. :thumb:

Whynot
03-02-2022, 05:28 PM
Cool.. :thumb:

Yes.... It is cool to clear up bad info.

Thanks.

MtnOak
04-11-2022, 10:19 PM
Preferred barrel blanks sent me an email telling me my barrel has entered production last Friday, man I’m looking forward to getting this thing and shooting it, I sent them the action, bolt and a competition recoil lug so they could marry it all together, the Boyd’s stock made it here 3 weeks ago , I like it but it looks a little on the small side but we’ll see when we get it all together in the meantime I got to figure out how to post pics on here.

Dave Hoback
04-11-2022, 11:08 PM
Oh man… thought you were doing it yourself. Then you could be awarded your very own “Savage Smith” pin. Oh well.

Good stuff anyhoo.. Looking forward to hearing how you like it.

PhilC
04-12-2022, 09:31 AM
...in the meantime I got to figure out how to post pics on here.
Use a pic hosting site or become a Team Savage member. ;-)

MtnOak
04-12-2022, 04:18 PM
Oh man… thought you were doing it yourself. Then you could be awarded your very own “Savage Smith” pin. Oh well.

Good stuff anyhoo.. Looking forward to hearing how you like it.
I had planned on putting it together but after talking to a few gunsmiths and PRS shooters they recommend letting the barrel maker match the action and bolt together for the most consistent accuracy the rifle will put out, made sense to me so I sent what they requested….

charlie b
04-12-2022, 05:17 PM
I would have done the same. When I wear out the one I have I'll let the barrel maker install it, probably Bartlein.

Blue Avenger
04-13-2022, 07:38 AM
I had planned on putting it together but after talking to a few gunsmiths and PRS shooters they recommend letting the barrel maker match the action and bolt together for the most consistent accuracy the rifle will put out, made sense to me so I sent what they requested….

unless there going to rework the action, there is no MATCHING to simply head spacing the barrel I know of. checking case protrusion before starting is a given and as long as no correction is needed your good.

GrenGuy
04-13-2022, 07:57 AM
A precision rifle smith can match the head space to the crown of the barrel.

Dave Hoback
04-13-2022, 09:59 AM
Could you explain that & why it’s important? Matching Headspace to Barrel crown.

GrenGuy
04-13-2022, 10:40 AM
Could you explain that & why it’s important? Matching Headspace to Barrel crown.

As much as I hate to type, especially on an IPad, I will give it a shot. Limited of course to My understanding of the process.

When a barrel blank is indexed, usually a crown is detected. A client and or his Smith, who is concerned about this, is usually turning a “Shouldered” barrel. The chamber can be head spaced so that the crown can be placed up or down, so that it does not affect windage. This process can be performed on a Barrel nut/ drop in barrel also. It relates to everything being precisely parallel
to the bore. I assume this is what the OP is attempting to achieve?

If this is a test, I hope I didn’t fail ?

charlie b
04-13-2022, 11:03 AM
Don't know how things are done now. In the past a bolt would be installed in the receiver and the lugs lapped to get full engagement. Then the face of the receiver was ground square to the bore of the receiver (if needed). Then an attachment was screwed into the receiver and the face of the bolt ground square to the receiver face. The receiver threads may also be 'cleaned up' to make sure they are parallel with the bore.

The 'floating head' of the Savage bolt is meant to make most of this less important. The bolt head 'moves' as it is closed to be square with the barrel.

If you are after the ultimate precision then the full receiver 'tune' is done.

MtnOak
04-13-2022, 12:31 PM
My question would be how do you intend to use this rifle?

I paper punch so the heavy CM instead of light .260 or .308.

I do like the .308, simply because most of my shooting is with cast. When I want to shoot longer than 500yd then I load up some 155 Bergers or 175SMK's.
ill use it to deer and coyote hunt but I’m thinking about shooting some PRS matches with it…

Dave Hoback
04-13-2022, 05:49 PM
As much as I hate to type, especially on an IPad, I will give it a shot. Limited of course to My understanding of the process.

When a barrel blank is indexed, usually a crown is detected. A client and or his Smith, who is concerned about this, is usually turning a “Shouldered” barrel. The chamber can be head spaced so that the crown can be placed up or down, so that it does not affect windage. This process can be performed on a Barrel nut/ drop in barrel also. It relates to everything being precisely parallel
to the bore. I assume this is what the OP is attempting to achieve?

If this is a test, I hope I didn’t fail ?

Cool. That’s not something I’ve ever thought about. It makes sense for the one trying to squeeze every minuscule bit of accuracy potential. Not something I’d worry about obviously, but for competition.. I get it.

If what is a test?

MtnOak
05-03-2022, 03:53 AM
Preferred barrel blanks sent me pics of the finished barrel and action yesterday, I love the barbed wire fluting over the standard, can’t wait to get this thing shooting, should be here by next Monday.

MtnOak
08-14-2022, 08:09 PM
And here it is….finally put a scope on it yesterday, did a barrel break in today using 3 different factory rounds.savage model 111 actionBarrel built by “preferred barrel blanks” 260 Remington 1:8 twist, barbed wire fluting with brake.boyds stock floated and glass beddedBurris signature HD 5-25x50 ffp 6.5 reticle illuminated center crosshair

MtnOak
08-14-2022, 08:19 PM
Not sure why the A’s are in the description above…….no idea.

Stumpkiller
08-14-2022, 09:59 PM
So Charlie, if you were going to shoot at some milk jugs at say 800 to 1000 yds, would you prefer to shoot your 260 or your 308?

Sorry. I missed this the first time around.

Are they surly milk jugs?

.260 Rem of course. I'm not going to go out and buy a .308 just to blow up milk jugs. ;-)

LOVE the Leupold VX-5 HD 3-15x with turret made to my load I added to my M11. Bring on them milk jugs.