PDA

View Full Version : I miss this....Knives

Dave Hoback
02-26-2022, 11:06 AM
I’m getting that “I really miss making blades” feeling. Last 2 years have been tough; seems it’s only getting harder for me. Knife making is just SO time consuming. And I don’t even notice the time gone by. But I pay for it after. One of the oddities of nerve pain. Anymore it’s just so difficult to even start.

I was just looking at a few pictures, and I very much want to get back to it. Looking at these I say to myself, “what a blessing!” To be able to make something this beautiful. A knife like this costs several hundred dollars to buy from a manufacturer; MANY HUNDREDS of $$ given the steel & materials I use! And to those like myself, it’s easy to make this. Just time. Puts a smile on my face & I thank The Lord. Then it hits me, although “easy” by way of knowledge, this is very challenging now. Every year it’s more difficult.

Here is the last one I made last year...among my finest work. A gift for a good friend.

https://i.ibb.co/C9PbSQg/3201-B321-5-A4-B-43-F5-AA10-F246217-C53-F9.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

https://i.ibb.co/3TjPRmv/B9-F6789-E-0-C30-441-A-BBD7-AAE4-F5-F08-A6-F.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

I know I’m not the only Knifemaker here. Anyone else?

Robinhood
02-26-2022, 03:08 PM
Dave, About nerve pain. Has Alpha Lipoic Acid ever been recomended to you. I take 1200mg's 2 times a day. If I miss a dose, i cant function due to pain. If you can't afford it I will send you a bottle to try. I get it on amazon. Read up on it.

Phreddie30.06
02-26-2022, 05:19 PM
Nerve pain is the worst. I had a Boston Scientific spinal cord stimulator implant put in a couple of years ago after bilateral total knee replacement. Other than having to charge it once a week and change settings about once a week i dont have to do anything. No pills to take no shots. I can walk again.
Nice knife!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Robinhood
02-26-2022, 08:44 PM
Nerve pain is the worst. I had a Boston Scientific spinal cord stimulator implant put in a couple of years ago after bilateral total knee replacement. Other than having to charge it once a week and change settings about once a week i dont have to do anything. No pills to take no shots. I can walk again.
Nice knife!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

A sign of a good story is great ending. Glad you got some relief Phreddie.

Dave Hoback
02-26-2022, 10:59 PM
I’ve never heard of Alpha Lipoic Acid Robin. I’m gonna check it out. Thank you for the info.

Yes, my pain medicine doctor has been telling me about the Electro-Stem implant for years. I’ve studied about everything there is on it. However, I suffered a Traumatic Brachial Plexus Injury. All 5 of the nerves in my cervical spinal chord, for motor function to my left arm/hand, were avulsed(ripped from the spinal chord). There was also massive damage from tearing of the nerves, as well as several broken bones in my left shoulder, clavicle, scapula & 2 upper most ribs. Every doctor I’ve been to has said I’m like a “Poster Child” for BPI, calling me the worst case they had ever seen. The Neuropathy associated with BPI is among the worst, and it is very resistant to the Stem-Implant device Not only that, but I’ve read about a number of patients who tried the Stem-Implant to help their BPI pain, and not only did it NOT help their pain, but it in fact caused even more nerve damage. Scary! I don’t know. At some point I’ll try it. I’m just really not putting any hope in it helping my pain.

BTW, awesome how well it’s worked for you. It still brings me joy hearing others winning their battle against debilitating pain. It’s uplifting, even if mine is still on going. :redface-new: Because God is good.

Cynical
03-27-2022, 03:11 PM
Nice work, really like the horn handle. What steel do you like to work with? I have started making knifes, due to high costs of shooting. To date I have produced five knifes, really find it very interesting. I did not have any wood working tools only metal working equipment, mills, lathes, etc. Now I own a Band saw, and several grinding tools.

A friend of mine is a woodworker, so I can go to his place and pick up short pieces of different woods. My friend works with Walnut, Pecan, Hard Rock Maple, and Cherry along with any special order work that comes in. Saves a lot of money on my end and keeps him from burning up fine pieces of wood.

Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Robinhood
03-27-2022, 06:27 PM
Cynical, Dave will probably not be responding. If I am not mistaken, he has left this building.

Blue Avenger
03-28-2022, 06:39 AM
Cynical, Dave will probably not be responding. If I am not mistaken, he has left this building.

30 days, so maybe next week

Dave Hoback
04-03-2022, 08:11 PM
Nice work, really like the horn handle. What steel do you like to work with? I have started making knifes, due to high costs of shooting. To date I have produced five knifes, really find it very interesting. I did not have any wood working tools only metal working equipment, mills, lathes, etc. Now I own a Band saw, and several grinding tools.

A friend of mine is a woodworker, so I can go to his place and pick up short pieces of different woods. My friend works with Walnut, Pecan, Hard Rock Maple, and Cherry along with any special order work that comes in. Saves a lot of money on my end and keeps him from burning up fine pieces of wood.

Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Appreciate that Cynical. The handle scales aren’t horn, but they do resemble it in the photo. They are actually Black/Green G10. G10 & my own Carbon Fiber I laminate myself are my favorites. I’ve done a few knives in wood. But it’s not my preferred. I make truly high performance knives. I aim for the most indestructible materials I can find. G10, Carbon Fiber.. I use Titanium screws. And the steels I use are high alloy. Unfortunately, it’s slowed way down as I said before. Makes me sad.

Glad you’ve taken to it. Let me know if I can ever be of any help. Been doing knives a good many years now.