PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a scope mount for 111 in 300 Rum

qtropwr
02-26-2022, 02:26 AM
Any recomendations??

Dave Hoback
02-26-2022, 07:57 AM
Do you mean a 1-piece mount, a set of rings or the Mounting Rail itself? What is your intended use? What scope are you going with?

qtropwr
02-27-2022, 10:52 PM
The rail. I was thinking of EGW, stuff. they are local.

Dave Hoback
02-27-2022, 11:21 PM
Is your action an older Flat back or newer around back Receiver? You need one or the either in Long Action and either 6-48 or 8-40 mounting screws. Something like one of these: https://www.egwguns.com/hunter-series-savage-round-back-long-action-picatinny-rail-20-moa

Get either the 7075 Aluminum (Amy recommendation), or steel. DO NOT get the 6061 rail. It’s not strong enough. ESPECIALLY for a RUM! I am partial to the Talley rails myself. But the EGW are quite good if you prefer. As are the Leupold Picatinny, Warne Picatinny, etc. They are all made from 7075-T6 Billet Aluminum and machined very nicely. Go with your favorite flavor. Again, I’ve a soft spot for Talley.

Oh.. if you can tell me if. Yours Action is Flat or Round back and 6-48 or 8-40 screws, I’d be happy to research a rail at a good price for you. I’m pretty good at that. Finding stuff.

qtropwr
02-28-2022, 01:48 PM
Mine is a flat back. Funny thing. I found EGW looking for rails for my P14 and 1917, which are flatbacks as well. Currently 6-48, but am going to go 8-40, on all of them.

Dave Hoback
02-28-2022, 05:23 PM
Awesome! Yes, the EGW Picatinny rail will work perfectly! I’d recommend the Heavy Duty in 7075-T6. It will work perfectly. And not a chance of it failing, even against a RUM!

qtropwr
03-01-2022, 04:25 PM
Scope is TBD at this moment. Almost certainly going with EGW. I wanted steel, but that seems to not be much of an option.

Dave Hoback
03-01-2022, 05:00 PM
Keep the Rail & Rings the same material. If you get a steel rail, get steel rings; which to my knowledge Badger & TPS are the only Pic rings available in steel. But if you are doing Aluminum rings, get a 7075 rail. Honestly, I can give you the numbers on paper, but 7075-T6 is equally as strong as the steel used for scope mounts/rings.

efm77
03-01-2022, 05:26 PM
Ken Farrell makes very nice steel rails. They're pricey, but very nice. Just another option to consider.

Dave Hoback
03-01-2022, 06:50 PM
Yes, and Murphy Precision has a 6AL4V Titanium rail, the absolute strongest one out there. But it’s like $220!! Who pays that for a scope rail, when I can get a Talley 7075 rail for $50?!? It’s insane.

I’ll say this though, I don’t trust the Ken Farrell products, and I’ll tell you why. We all know their scope rails are made of steel, but on their website they don’t list WHAT steel is used. Steels aren’t all the same & unfortunately, I have a metallurgist mind. Are the rails made 416 Stainless? Which is actually slightly stronger than 7075, when in heat treated/tempered condition. Is it good old 4140? This Alloy steel having the approximate equivalent strength to 7075. Or are they using something like 8620, or worse, it’s CHINESIUM doppelgänger? While not the worst steel, it’s actually WEAKER than it’s 7075 counterpart. And why would someone want to pay DOUBLE, almost TRIPLE the price for a WEAKER product? The fact the material is not disclosed on their site is troubling. It’s a common practice used by companies that actually import Chinese steel. Nobody thinks the wiser because of the inflated price. I mean, their Picatinny rails cost like $136+. They MUST be better, Right? Unfortunately, this is how most consumers think. The old “Price dictates Quality” way of thinking. While it can & does apply at times, it’s just not the case for all products. I don’t like when a company will not openly say what their products are made from. It’s not like keeping a recipe secret, honestly! A reason for this is sometimes deception. I’m sure those with Farrell rails are going to feel personally attacked by me saying this. They shouldn’t. I’m simply speaking what see & I never said their products suck. In fact they look very nice from what I’ve seen. I simply said I don’t trust them or use them because I don’t trust companies that don’t disclose what their products are made from. Especially at this price point.

efm77
03-01-2022, 08:58 PM
Having first hand experience with Farrells, they seem very durable. I can't imagine them being junk steel. Out of curiosity though, I have emailed them to ask them what kind of steel they use, so we'll see what they say.

Dave Hoback
03-01-2022, 09:09 PM
You’re right.. The machining is fantastic. And honestly, even if the rail were made of 1018 low carbon, the strength would be more than enough for almost every long & short Action caliber. It’s just always been something that bothers me. Hopefully they answer. It would be nice to know. For me I mean. I’m sure most don’t really get so OFD about materials the way I do. It’s the Knifemaker in me because we are consumed with exact types of steel, LOL. And, I spent years studying, researching & learning steels, & metallurgy alloys. Super fascinating.

Whynot
03-02-2022, 05:15 PM
Whatever brand or material you go with I would recommend a rail that has a built in lug.... that makes a big difference- especially on a rum.