PDA

View Full Version : Dave Hoback Trigger Job Review

ralphob
02-24-2022, 08:40 PM
I was searching the forum for some ideas on new aftermarket triggers for the Savage 10, as I am just not happy with the accutriggers anymore. I came across a thread where a guy by the name of Dave Hoback says he does trigger jobs on the accutrigger for free. So I got ahold of Dave and he explained how he does the trigger work. He starts by making his own washers out of a sheet of titanium. He the polishes the hell out of the sear and trigger to the point where it shines like a mirror. Then he replaces the trigger pull spring with a post he makes and provides several different trigger springs to put on it. Dave somehow does all of this with 1 arm which is just amazing. So i took a chance and sent him 2 triggers to work on. He continually kept me up to date with his progress, providing pictures of the washers he makes to the polishing of the triggers and the final product. About a week later the triggers were back in my hands.

So how did they come out. The triggers are now nice and smooth, no slop, no grit, no mush. The trigger feels nice and firm, no side to side movement at all. The movement of the safety blade seemed smoother and a bit lighter. The break is nice, clean and crisp. The spring he had installed seems to break at around 3 lbs and the lighter one he provided around 1.75 to 2 lbs, All in all a huge improvement from the original triggers.

So how did it stack up to my other guns. I did a very unscientific test of pulling triggers on each of the guns below (from a typical walmart grade savage to my best rifle) and then the one with the Dave Hobback trigger job. This is how I honestly felt they compared

First up was a savage hog hunter with accutrigger that was never fired. No comparison, the trigger job was heads and tails above it. The hog hunter trigger was hard pulling then sorta mushy, pretty much like the triggers were before he worked them.

Next was a savage with a timney trigger. I would have to say the triggers were very comparable but different. I would give the slight edge to the timney as it breaks I tad lower at a bit over 1lb. Hard for me to tell a discernable difference in feel otherwise except for the safety blade. I imagine if one prefers a two stage trigger feel then the accutrigger may have the slight edge over the timney. Both are nice triggers.

Next was a Bix and Andy trigger in a remington clone, my best rig. The comparison was hardly fair but it made me feel better about the big bucks I laid down for the BIX. There is just no way one can take a trigger out of a $400 gun and make it perform like a $250+ trigger.

I took the rifle (264 lbc) to the range today to see how it performed. Not my best shooting day but shot 3 5 round groups at under 3/4 of a inch at 100.

So these are my honest reactions; someone else may have a different perspective as we all have differing likes and dislikes. I am very happy with the work Dave did. Again Dave seriously wanted to do all of this for free, his way of giving back. But that just wouldn't be right in my book.

Dave Hoback
02-25-2022, 10:53 AM
Appreciate the kind words Ralph. I wish I could take credit for figuring it out, but it’s been done for years. I’m no inventor. I’m just really good at reverse engineering and improving on existing designs. Some would say I copy, but then... I’ve never used any idea to enrich myself. This is how the Accutrigger should have been done from the start.

want2ride
02-26-2022, 01:35 AM
good to hear!

Robinhood
02-26-2022, 03:03 PM
Great report and one happy member. Good job Dave!!!