PDA

View Full Version : I picked up a 111 in 300 RUM, my first Savage. I can find almost no

Pages : 1 [2]

Dave Hoback
03-01-2022, 01:36 PM
Not a fan of guys going Bigger/more powerful cartridges, for the sole part purpose of taking shots from further & further away. If a shot is perfectly doable at 900yds, why intentionally make it a 1 Mile shot, simply because you possess the power to do so? With extreme distance hunting, there are FAR greater a number of BAD shots, causing wounded animals suffering for a man’s prideful pleasure. Don’t get me wrong, I am a fan of hunting & loved it when I did so. But while I enjoyed it, I was never a “sport” hunter. I didn’t kill just to kill. And people looking to make extreme distance kills, just to feed their ego, is just, well...sad. These individuals don’t speak of the VERY high % of game they let suffer with gut shots & what not. Not right... it’s just not right.

Edit: I’m not attacking anyone here or who does these things. I never called out a single person. Simply said what I believe is bad dealings..killing for sport and taking extreme distance shots. I’ve seen it. I have a very good friend who does it. He’s still my good friend. Im simply not fond of some of the things he does. I’m sorry if you feel attacked, but if you’re not doing that which I spoke of, it wasn’t meant towards you anyway.

qtropwr
03-01-2022, 04:22 PM
My plans are a heavy barrel, new stock and some other details. Long range tactical is the plan.

yobuck
03-01-2022, 06:27 PM
Not a fan of guys going Bigger/more powerful cartridges, for the sole part purpose of taking shots from further & further away. If a shot is perfectly doable at 900yds, why intentionally make it a 1 Mile shot, simply because you possess the power to do so? With extreme distance hunting, there are FAR greater a number of BAD shots, causing wounded animals suffering for a man’s prideful pleasure. Don’t get me wrong, I am a fan of hunting & loved it when I did so. But while I enjoyed it, I was never a “sport” hunter. I didn’t kill just to kill. And people looking to make extreme distance kills, just to feed their ego, is just, well...sad. These individuals don’t speak of the VERY high % of game they let suffer with gut shots & what not. Not right... it’s just not right.
Its also not true.
Are there animals that get away after being hit by long range hunters?
Of coarse there are, but the percentage is actually very low, and certainly not more than more conventional types of hunting, including archery.
These type comments as a rule come from those who have never actually done any long range hunting, but for some unknown reason know all about it.
Especially in Pa, where virtually all long range hunters shoot from a bench or some other type of very good rest, and note the words very good.
And they also use spotters sitting behind very good tripod mounted optics, which is a key element for successful long range hunting.
If it dosent meet your fancy and opinion of what hunting is or should be, thats fine, just dont take part in it.
But to bad mouth something which is obvious you know nothing about, is sinfull.
The fact is that very very few shots are taken by long range hunters at distances anywhere near 1 mile.
In my now more years hunting long range exclusivly, than some people have been breathing, i can honestly say that i only know i man (whoes word i would trust ) who claims to have killed a deer at a mile in Pa.
And i will back up what im saying by inviting anyone interested in seeing how its done ( properly ) to come to our camp and see first hand while staying at a first class facility in one of the very best areas in the East as my guest.
Want pictures? pm me your email and you can have them.
Put up or shut up, and im willing to put up.
Not my first rodeo with clowns, the first one happened to be a member of the PGC who back in the 70s called me out as being a slob hunter for what i liked doing.
Guess who had the last and best big laugh on that one.
Call Kevin Cram, call Bruce Baer, ask their opinion on what im saying. Take a trip to the matches at Williamsport, ask people there what they think.
What were doing here is allowing a clown to run the show, and belittle anybody who dosent tag along with his mostly uneducated opinions.
This could well be my last post here because i have been warned, but you know what, ive had enough of this bullshit.

GrenGuy
03-03-2022, 08:16 AM
+2 Well put and timely Yo

BillW
03-03-2022, 04:47 PM
Not sure what warranted resorting to name calling. Must be something besides this thread. I see Dave staying his opinion, maybe seasoned with some stats that are inaccurate but his opinion is still valid. And in this thread didn’t call anyone out or name call. Seems the classic case of posting crap or talking in such a way that we never would man to man. Everyone calm down and let’s focus on common interests that bring us together rather than things we may disagree on. We are more alike than you might think.
Everyone be well and stay free.

[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk