PDA

View Full Version : Loose screws

Wallyl
02-21-2022, 02:03 PM
I was looking over my Savage Axis 7mm-08.....I recall late last fall firing it with cast loads and a few J-loads...with the laterI was missing and gave up after a few shots.....thought I was just "off" that day. This morning I was turning the zoom bell on the scope and I noticed that the scope was loose. I checked the Weaver quad rings--they were tight. So I guessed that the receiver screws were loose---nope, nice and tight. Turns out it was the scope base screws--all four of them were loose by about 1/4 to 1/2 turn! I bought the rifle in 2018 and did check them, they were fine. I recall others mentioning that some had issues with them not being/staying tight. So I removed them, cleaned them and the screw holes with Brakefree--dried and cleaned them again, let them dry then reattached them with Loctite. They are Allen socket screws 3/32"..I tightened them very snugly. Kind of good news as that probably explains why I couldn't hit the target with it last November. .... always nice to have a good excuse. I also have a Savage AXIS .243 Win....nothing loose on it. I would guess that the factory never cleans the holes or screws before attaching them...there was no thread lock on them. I have never had this happen with my Rem 700's and Marlin Lever action guns , BUT I installed the scope bases---on the Savage Axis, they come factory installed.

Dave Hoback
02-21-2022, 02:31 PM
So, are you saying you checked them last fall, cleaned & lock tiger the screws and they were loose now? Or...? Not sure if you are asking something, trying to relay something??

Wallyl
02-21-2022, 02:37 PM
I didn't notice them being loose last Fall---I only mention this so others can be aware that perhaps the base screws aren't installed properly by Savage on their Savage Axis rifles. I am a long time shooter---this never happened to me before.

Phreddie30.06
02-21-2022, 02:48 PM
I bought a new in the box savage axis 2 in 308 that was built in 2012 a few months ago. I have not shot it yet. Just out of curiosity I checked the scope mounts afte reading this and the screws were loose.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Dave Hoback
02-21-2022, 03:06 PM
I didn't notice them being loose last Fall---I only mention this so others can be aware that perhaps the base screws aren't installed properly by Savage on their Savage Axis rifles. I am a long time shooter---this never happened to me before.

Ahh, gotchya! Yes, very good advise. I recommend everyone should learn to install their own rail/rings & mount/boresight their own scope. It’s not difficult, and this way you can be sure it’s done correctly. Gunsmiths are one thing.... but the counter guys at your local gun store or Dicks Sporting Goods, etc. Yeah... they don’t really care too much about the quality of their scope install/bore sighting.

Wallyl
02-21-2022, 04:12 PM
I have done so with all my other rifles, but the Savage came with the scopes baes & rings already installed, I did check them when I first got the 7mm-08; I never anticiptaed that they'd come loose. Ammo is expensive and it is best to check that ones scope is mounted properly.

Blue Avenger
02-21-2022, 05:19 PM
Factory mounted? Have seen a lot of super stores offer free mounting and put the long screws on the front. Always put the very front short screw in first and check that it did not botton out on barrel threads. Then check the second screw and see that it did not protrude to far and restriçt bolt functions. Back 2 longer screws have to be really long to bother anything.

wbm
02-21-2022, 05:22 PM
+1.

Dave Hoback
02-21-2022, 07:15 PM
Even if I happened on a combo.. I’d still pull everything apart, clean, lock-tite & torque. Working on a firearm is one thing. Sure, that takes some time & specialized tooling. But installing mounting hardware and scope is something anyone can easily learn to do.

Wallyl
02-21-2022, 08:08 PM
I did check that...it was not an issue.

Factory mounted? Have seen a lot of super stores offer free mounting and put the long screws on the front. Always put the very front short screw in first and check that it did not botton out on barrel threads. Then check the second screw and see that it did not protrude to far and restriçt bolt functions. Back 2 longer screws have to be really long to bother anything.

Tiekmir
03-13-2022, 05:07 PM
Buy a Wheeler Fat Wrench. It's what all the DIY guys say to get. It makes your screws nice and tight, but not too tight so as to create pinching, warping or pulling. I am buying one soon so I can dismount and remount my scope, among other projects on my Axis.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1007367010?pid=718023&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=Gunsmithing+-+Tools%2C+Jigs+%26+Fixtures&utm_content=718023&cm_mmc=pf_ci_bing-_-Gunsmithing+-+Tools%2C+Jigs+%26+Fixtures-_-Wheeler-_-718023&utm_term=4584894776053384