PDA

View Full Version : 114 safety issues

MtnOak
02-21-2022, 08:47 AM
So I take my 7mm stw model 114 to the farm to start sighting this thing in, I’ve sent this gun to savage for some chamber work, had the stock glass bedded, triggered to 3lbs.
I noticed before I left the house the safety wouldn’t move a couple different times even after re-engaging the bolt back and fourth a few times, then noticed it seemed to be working right, so…….I’m thinking I just didn’t bolt the rifle or half bolted it.
I start shooting, it’s operating fine then after chambering the 3rd round I can’t get the safety to move into the ON position, now I’m scratching my head, this is what this gun was doing before I started shooting it today….so I fire the 3rd shot, open the bolt, eject the brass, close the bolt and the safety worked fine……
I drop in the 4th round , close the bolt and the gun FIRES on its own…….totally caught me off guard , now I know I’ve got a problem but was starting to suspect one anyway.

Take the gun home take the stock off of it ..inspect it..and no matter what I do this thing runs fine OUT of the stock, bolt the stock back on and I start having the same problem, so I take the stock back off, I dremel tool anything in this stock that relatively looks like it may cause a problem but I can’t seem to fix the problem with the stock on …..

Its going to a gunsmith today to try to resolve this problem..??

Whats your take on the problem?? this is a older 114 “pre” accutrigger

Has anyone ever seen this issue before??

Blue Avenger
02-21-2022, 09:02 AM
I have seen where adjustments cause the trigger to rub the sear as it is being released. Also very hard to adjust down to 3# and not have it act like yours if your still using the factory spring.

Dave Hoback
02-21-2022, 10:15 AM
With the limited information, it’s really just a shot I the dark. It does seem that it was adjusted too low. The problem when adjusted low is the spring doesn’t have enough pretension which can cause the slam fire. (Tripping when racking the bolt).

If you want, I can send you one of the lighter bar springs I make. I give these out free. It’s lighter through the entire range, but keeps good pretension to prevent slam fire. Just PM me your details and I’ll mail one to you in an envelope.

Spring I make on top, over a Savage factory spring (bottom).
https://i.ibb.co/x53zvR9/4-F0-A8-B21-2-C3-C-4536-B44-D-65045-FA5-CB62.jpg (https://ibb.co/F7n8vjZ)

wbm
02-21-2022, 10:42 AM
So with the rifle out of the stock the safety works as it should?

MtnOak
02-21-2022, 11:03 AM
So with the rifle out of the stock the safety works as it should?
It seems to …..but right now it appears to be working fine with the stock on it right now, I’m noting every post here, I’m on my way to a gunsmith now and will run all info I’m seeing here by him..

MtnOak
02-21-2022, 11:31 AM
I actually think the safety will not move into the off position because the the trigger mechanism didn’t reset after operating the bolt or it’s allowing the trigger to fire while closing the bolt .
It may be bad timing when the stock is bolted on vs off .

Dave Hoback
02-21-2022, 12:11 PM
This may help as well. Gives a good adjustment procure.

https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?130-Factory-3-Screw-Trigger-Adjustment-Procedures

MtnOak
02-21-2022, 05:05 PM
Dropped it off at a gunsmith I trust, told him I wanted the trigger at 3LB’s if he had to drop a whole new one in it, above all make it safe….

MtnOak
02-21-2022, 05:14 PM
With the limited information, it’s really just a shot I the dark. It does seem that it was adjusted too low. The problem when adjusted low is the spring doesn’t have enough pretension which can cause the slam fire. (Tripping when racking the bolt).

If you want, I can send you one of the lighter bar springs I make. I give these out free. It’s lighter through the entire range, but keeps good pretension to prevent slam fire. Just PM me your details and I’ll mail one to you in an envelope.

Spring I make on top, over a Savage factory spring (bottom).
https://i.ibb.co/x53zvR9/4-F0-A8-B21-2-C3-C-4536-B44-D-65045-FA5-CB62.jpg (https://ibb.co/F7n8vjZ)
No, I joined in 18 when I got this gun, but haven’t really posted until recently…

Blue Avenger
02-21-2022, 06:00 PM
One of Daves springs will cure 80%

MtnOak
02-21-2022, 10:07 PM
Well…….was trying to figure out how to pm Dave then seen I need 15 posts, this is post 15, Dave I’ll be getting in touch…..

mnbogboy2
02-23-2022, 11:48 PM
Sounds like classic trigger ortrigger shoeinterference, clock the action with safety off before slowly lowering itin. When the interference
Starts it will release the sear.

MtnOak
02-24-2022, 08:40 PM
My gunsmith has fixed the problem, I had the trigger pull at 2.5 lbs, way too light for the factory spring, I’m waiting on Dave’s spring to get here, we’ll replace it and see what we can get down to safely, I’m good at 3 to 3.5lb trigger pull but I’d love to get to 2.5lb.

Dave Hoback
02-25-2022, 02:15 AM
Haven’t forgot you friend. Just haven’t been to the post office. But it’s a com’n partner. ;)

Dang! Sounds like your Smith did exactly what I said it was, huh? Hot darn! Well, even a broken clock is right twice a day. :cool: