PDA

View Full Version : 0.222 Rem headspace too short for new brass??

jstewart336
02-18-2022, 08:24 PM
I fitted a new Shilen barrel in 0.222 Remington to my Savage Target Action. When I did this I had the proper go and no-go gauges. And I had some brand new unfired, un-sized Lapua brass. When setting the headspace with the gauges I set it at the tightest point where the bolt would close easily on the go gauge. Then I tried to chamber the new Lapua brass and it was hard to cam it over. It would close, but much more effort needed. I left the headspace there and when I shot the first rounds in the new Lapua brass they were hard to cam over, then after than I measured the shoulder. It was (on my gauges) 1.241-1.242. I can set the headspace back (Wilson FL with neck bushing) on my Frankford Arsenal press, no shell holders needed) about -0.001 to -0.002. Works fine. Have shot this brass about 15 times, no issues with it (anneal every time)

Now I got some Nosler brass and tried to chamber it unsized and it takes a lot of effort to close the bolt. Checked the shoulder and the Nosler is measuring 1.246, or about 0.006 longer than the chamber. I got two options. One is to load it as is, force the bolt to close and shoot it to form to the chamber. Other is to size and bump back the shoulder to start.

This got me to thinking back to when I set the headspace with the gauges. The new Lapua brass would not chamber easy, and now the new Nosler brass will not chamber easy. Even though the headspace is set to close easy on the go and not at all, no downward movement at all, on the no-go, maybe the headspace is set too short? Would it benefit me to reset the headspace a little longer so that the new Nosler brass chambers easier and still keep the no-go gauge setting so the bolt will not close at all. Maybe this would make my chamber length match up better with the Wilson sizing die so that bumping the shoulder back 0.002 would not be so difficult. Or, just leave it alone?

Blue Avenger
02-18-2022, 08:55 PM
first big mistake is not sizing the new brass and expecting it to fit for setting up headspace.
after you have fired some cases, how well do they fit?
little more work involving removing the barrel but how much of a sized case slipped into the chamber protrudes from the barrel, also check with your go gauge. should be .0125 to 0.130 which should be about the same as the recess in the bolt head. if case sticks out more the the 0.130 you chamber was not cut properly. check this and of its ok. then we are for-sure dealing with brass.

/

charlie b
02-18-2022, 09:31 PM
You are setting a 'tight' chamber if the go gauge just barely fits. That's ok if you plan on fireforming your brass, but, if you want to shoot factory ammo you might want to 'loosen' it up a bit.

GaCop
02-19-2022, 09:08 AM
You are setting a 'tight' chamber if the go gauge just barely fits. That's ok if you plan on fireforming your brass, but, if you want to shoot factory ammo you might want to 'loosen' it up a bit. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

jstewart336
02-19-2022, 10:13 AM
Problem solved. On the advice from above I sized a few pieces of the brand new, "ready to load" Nosler brass in my sizing die as set up for the Lapua brass. Shoulder measured (relative number according to my measurment tools) 1.246 before sizing, and after sizing came to 1.240. 1.240 is where I run the Lapua brass. Now the new Nosler brass will chamber without resistance in the gun. Will just need to size all of this before the first firing. I had this same problem with new Lapua brass when I first installed the barrel, just using the go gauge at the tightest point I could still get the bolt closed without resistance and no go gauge will not move at all. Guess I set it "tight", but the Lapua brass I am shooting now has been loaded 15 times and is still in great shape , and annealing it every time. Thanks again.

charlie b
02-19-2022, 09:20 PM
Good solution.

I love the Lapua brass for my .223. It has 20 reloads on it now and still no failures. And I don't anneal them at all.

Mr.Snerdly
02-22-2022, 08:01 AM
If you load on the low side does the brass go longer before it needs to be annealed? I never load to the maximum thinking it is easier on everything and I am pretty sure it would help barrel life but unsure what all is affected. I have never annealed any of my 223 brass but I haven't kept track of how many reloadings. I am sure it is not 20 but probably more than 10.

Blue Avenger
02-22-2022, 09:06 AM
If you load on the low side does the brass go longer before it needs to be annealed? I never load to the maximum thinking it is easier on everything and I am pretty sure it would help barrel life but unsure what all is affected. I have never annealed any of my 223 brass but I haven't kept track of how many reloading. I am sure it is not 20 but probably more than 10.
more members will find this if you start your own post.