PDA

View Full Version : Sandy Hook families settle with Remington, marking 1st time gun-maker held liable for mass shooting

Tiekmir
02-17-2022, 05:59 PM
All I can say is this is really bad for gun companies. This opens the flood gate for law suits for anyone that is shot, no matter the reason, even self defense. I cannot imagine why Remmington decided to fold and agrer to this utter inssnity, but things for all Americans and 2A just got a whole lot worse. It's a sad day in our Nation.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/sandy-hook-families-settle-remington-151300248.html

Dave Hoback
02-17-2022, 07:04 PM
Probably cheaper to settle and have people forget rather than pay their lawyers for years of litigation, dragged out in court, all the while CNN & MSNBC dragging their reputation through the mud ever 6 months.

Tiekmir
02-17-2022, 08:35 PM
All true sadly, but it sets legal precedent.

Now any gun manufacturer who's gun is used in any mass shooting will be sued.

What a drag.

Dave Hoback
02-17-2022, 10:10 PM
Oh, I agree 100%. But then... no case was actually won. Still don’t think it be an issue in my worldly lifetime anyway. And after that I won’t care. Time will tell.

RCE1
02-17-2022, 10:30 PM
I wonder if this won't inspire a new class of insurance products? I expect the manufacturers to pass the costs on to consumers.

Tiekmir
02-17-2022, 11:41 PM
I wonder if this won't inspire a new class of insurance products? I expect the manufacturers to pass the costs on to consumers.

Oh damn, now there's a deadful thought.

Stumpkiller
02-18-2022, 11:41 PM
Bad for ALL companies.

Now Chevy is culpable if a drunk driver squashes a pedestrian in a Chevy.

Craftsman is culpable if soneone drills a hole in someone else's head.

Oster is culpable if someone throws a toaster in the bathtub with an estrainged spouse.

We have established that a mechanism that operates properly and as designed is evil whether or not it was misused.

Dave Hoback
02-19-2022, 01:01 AM
And yet the Left are is trying to “FIX” the world. People need to learn the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics... Entropy Increases! This is yet another example leading closer.

yobuck
02-19-2022, 12:09 PM
Bad for ALL companies.

Now Chevy is culpable if a drunk driver squashes a pedestrian in a Chevy.

Craftsman is culpable if soneone drills a hole in someone else's head.

Oster is culpable if someone throws a toaster in the bathtub with an estrainged spouse.

We have established that a mechanism that operates properly and as designed is evil whether or not it was misused.
Well how would you feel about the bar owner who supplied the booze for the drunk driving the Chevy?
Fact is that auto makers have had numerous lawsuits against them over some of the products they sold as well.
Remember the book written about a specific model GM car entitled (unsafe at any speed ) ?
It no doubt had some influence on the decision to stop production on that model.
Yet lots of people drove those cars without any incidents.
But when we discuss the topic of ( mass murder ) there arent any incidents of the assailant using a Chevy or a Craftsman tool are there?
For my money all the Remington type companys in the world cant replace even one of those kids.
I have more than twice the number of Remingtons as i do Savages, and it saddens me to think of all the dumb decisions they have made over the years.
But then dumb decisions have been the downfall of a great number of us, even large corporations.

Blue Avenger
02-19-2022, 01:17 PM
Well how would you feel about the bar owner who supplied the booze for the drunk driving the Chevy?

Son started his day with something like that. Guy started drinking early morning and run out of money so hired another patron to take him home for more. Came back 45 min later and a shift change had occurred. Son refused to serve him as he was still very drunk. Half hour argument resulted in drunk leaving. Sheriff stopped bu later in response to roll over. Was checking on bars liability in incident. As he had left the bar where they were not in direct control of his actions and was being driven home, then chose to return and was not served the bar and son were not directly responsible for his actions that landed him in intensive care.

Dave Hoback
02-19-2022, 01:18 PM
It’s people blaming objects, or the wrong people. What is very sad is people using the death/murder of their child for profit. The sick individual responsible in Sandy Hook killed himself & is no more. The parents continuing to sue is money related.., even if their greet/anger don’t allow them to realize it.

Just prior to my daughter’s death, my wife & I had taken her to the hospital. When she first had a seizure & her temp at 104+ degs. They barely spent 2 minutes looking at her, gave us some pamphlets on Rosaria, told us to give her Motrin/Tylenol & sent us on our way. They didn’t take blood. They didn’t run any tests whatsoever. Three days later my daughter died in my arms, on our living room floor. She dies of Septicemia, blood poisoning. We talked about suing the hospital. Because of my despair & anger, yes.. I wanted someone to “pay”. But in the end I realized it would only be a dollar figure. Wouldn’t help. Not my sadness, my loss or anger. And certainly wouldn’t bring my little girl back. I decided against suing & my wife agreed. I’m still glad we never did. Hospital didn’t do anything intentionally wrong. Was just one of those “one in a billion” things, from a secular standpoint.

Blue Avenger
02-19-2022, 01:37 PM
It’s people blaming objects, or the wrong people. What is very sad is people using the death/murder of their child for profit. The sick individual responsible in Sandy Hook killed himself & is no more. The parents continuing to sue is money related.., even if their greet/anger don’t allow them to realize it.

Just prior to my daughter’s death, my wife & I had taken her to the hospital. When she first had a seizure & her temp at 104+ degs. They barely spent 2 minutes looking at her, gave us some pamphlets on Rosaria, told us to give her Motrin/Tylenol & sent us on our way. They didn’t take blood. They didn’t run any tests whatsoever. Three days later my daughter died in my arms, on our living room floor. She dies of Septicemia, blood poisoning. We talked about suing the hospital. Because of my despair & anger, yes.. I wanted someone to “pay”. But in the end I realized it would only be a dollar figure. Wouldn’t help. Not my sadness, my loss or anger. And certainly wouldn’t bring my little girl back. I decided against suing & my wife agreed. I’m still glad we never did. Hospital didn’t do anything intentionally wrong. Was just one of those “one in a billion” things, from a secular standpoint.

Have to agree with your sentiment. Grand daughter went to her Fathers for shared custody after getting 6mo immunizations. Was still 112 fever when first responders arrived next morning. He was the first one Mom blamed for having her in her own room. That temp would have done permanent damage if she had survived. Lawyers become the only Beneficiary.

61Knuckle
02-19-2022, 02:34 PM
Back when I was working, I discussed this type of settlement with a senior attorney in our legal department. Her explanation was that the law dept. had evaluated the case and that it would be financially favorable to simply negotiate a settlement rather than pursuing a court. The agreement was an agreement between the parties and not a legal decision. Considering Remington's financial 'situation', there were probably no funds for a prolonged court battle. Nothing was established.
While I'm not a lawyer, my department was a 'frequent flyer' with the law department and I learned a few things.

Robinhood
02-19-2022, 08:54 PM
Something like 40 states have laws protecting gun makers from being sued for the actions of gun owners. The precident has already been set for the other 10 states. Information comes from NRA's American Rifleman article.

JeepsAndGuns
02-20-2022, 10:28 AM
no case was actually won

From what I have been reading, it is what you just said. There was no actual legal case in the court system won. The families did not win the lawsuit. The insurance companies for rem simply settled out of court. Meaning they paid the families a large amount of money to basically drop it and walk away, preventing them from suing them again.
So it is both a loss, as they paid them, and a win, as there was no actual legal court case won against them.

Blue Avenger
02-20-2022, 08:11 PM
will there be any money from a sold bankrupt company? was it settled just to clear the sale?

Stumpkiller
02-20-2022, 10:16 PM
Fact is that auto makers have had numerous lawsuits against them over some of the products they sold as well.
Remember the book written about a specific model GM car entitled (unsafe at any speed ) ?
It no doubt had some influence on the decision to stop production on that model.
Yet lots of people drove those cars without any incidents.
But when we discuss the topic of ( mass murder ) there arent any incidents of the assailant using a Chevy or a Craftsman tool are there?

Chevy Corvair. Lots of folks I knew somehow survived ownership.

Remington did not sell the gun to the shooter. They sold it to a distributor, who sold it to a merchant, who sold it to a woman, who allowed her son to have access to it (he used a .22 LR to kill her). MUCH different then handing drinks to the end drinker.

Two of by FAR the largest mass murders on US soil were performed with three seperate passenger liner jets - yet there has been no move by survivor parents and families to sue Boeing: who made all three jets that completed their runs. And also a fourth that killed 40 passengers and crew who fought back. The product performed properly, but was abused, and it accounted for 2,977 innocent fatalities and 25,000 injuries.

I promise you more people have been killed by aircraft dropping bombs than firearms shooting bullets. WAY more youngsters and babies. Airplanes obviously only have a military usage and should NOT be available to civilians. But wait. That woukd be inconvenient. Hmmmmmm. Lets justify them but keep after firearms because . . . Kids!

Remington was deemed at fault because their advertizing slogan of "Man Card Reissued" with an image of the Bushmaster rifle would be taken as a suggestion for violent usage. The murderer did not buy the rifle, he killed to steal it from the victim, so the advertising was irrelevant. The product performed properly, but was abused. The lawyers just saw an easy $ in their cross-hairs.

Nor Cal Mikie
02-21-2022, 10:40 AM
It "wasn't Remington" that paid off, it was their Ins. Co. Remington = $000.00. And think about it. Ever see an Ins. Co, giving away $$$ if it wasn't in "their" better interest? It's an advanced CYA plan in case of future litigation.

And that program can be canceled real easy. Had a blow hard that I worked with make some remark about suing me till I mentioned something about him laying in a roadside ditch attracting flies. Never heard another word from him. Mikie don't play those games.;)

Hot coffee spilled in your lap because you're STUPID??? So you go after Mickey Ds??
And any mouthpiece that would take up a suit like that should be shot IN PUBLIC for all to see.

And GORILLA GLUE to hold your hair in place? Can't get any better than that.
And these people vote and breath our air? :rolleyes: