PDA

View Full Version : Retro classic build

Pages : [1] 2 3

Hdskip
02-16-2022, 12:36 PM
Well that's how this was termed to me. I recently acquired a 110 barreled action in 30/06. I basically bought this for the action as I have little to no interest in the 06. Nothing wrong with it just has never interested me.. Somewhere out of the back of my mind during the night it occurred to me that I've always sort of wanted a .300 H&H. Never mind that I have no earthly need for one but that seems to have never stopped me before.
This project was going to have to be a low budget deal with me doing all the labor. I ideally would have like to do this on the classic '98 action but none seem to be free right now. So after some searching on several classifieds I have Brass and dies and a Dave Manson reamer on the way. The trigger is sound on this and the barrel has enough profile to it. Stocking it would be probably biggest challenge and nothing suitable popped up. Boyd's didn't really have what I was looking for so I went to Richard's Micro to see what was offered. The African Classic looks pretty close to what I wanted so that is likely going to be the choice in a rather plain walnut. It will add a lot more work to the stock but it ain't my first rodeo and I'm retired and have what I need to do all the woodwork. Since my eye sight ain't what it once was I'm going to forego open sight and go with a scope.
I've only recently joined this forum but have enjoyed lurking and following some threads. I see lots of good information and what appears to be some fine folks. My kinda place. I'm looking forward to being part of this group.

You are only limited by your imagination.

DocCoffeeKevin
02-16-2022, 12:54 PM
Welcome HDSKIP
Sounds like you hang around with some enablers, I mean Mentors, as I do.
Will be watching your progress
DocCoffee

wbm
02-16-2022, 05:02 PM
Welcome.

I am excited for you! I think the 300 H&H cool factor would be a 10 for sure. Keep us informed on the progress of that.

Did the same thing a few years ago. Found a 110 Flat Back in 30/06. Richards Micro can be a real crap shoot but I got lucky on Numrich and found an OEM Walnut stock for it.

Here is what I ended up with.

Hdskip
02-16-2022, 05:53 PM
That's pretty much the thing I'm looking for. Thats a great looking project. Thanks for sharing.

Dave Hoback
02-16-2022, 05:54 PM
Very cool. Can’t wait to see your build.

GaCop
02-19-2022, 08:45 AM
Good lookin set up "WBM". I look forward to seeing pictures of your completed 300 H&H Hdskip. My wife is from the mountains in western Virginia, a little town, Honaker, in Russel County.

Hdskip
02-19-2022, 10:50 PM
Update on this project. Most of the parts are in house. I found a suitable stock at Numrich for a song. Its unfinished but pretty figure. Mason provided a reamer. Let the games begin.

Hdskip
02-19-2022, 10:51 PM
Russel county is about 3 hours from me.

Dave Hoback
02-19-2022, 11:13 PM
That was one of my first Savages. Had a 111 synthetic stock in 30-06 & a Model 11 in 308, wearing the checkered hardwood. Both were the pre-Accutrigger 90’s “combo” guns, with the 3-9x40 Simmons scopes. LOL! Good times.

So you're all set...all your parts then to get started on your project? Nice! Seriously, don’t you love a gun project? Most fun thing to me.

Hdskip
02-20-2022, 11:57 AM
I'm squeezing this one in between 2 other builds I have in process. I've actually wanted this one longer ,just didn't "need" it. That along with my leather projects. I'm sure glad I'm retired!......Otherwise I'd never get done.

gbflyer
02-20-2022, 01:11 PM
Great cartridge, I have 2 rifles in 300 H&H. Dave Manson is the finest kind of fellow, could teach a master class in customer service. Excellent choice!

Hdskip
02-20-2022, 01:36 PM
I chatted with Dave Manson on end of day on a Friday and my reamer arrived here on following Thursday. Hard to beat service like that. Hats off to him.

wbm
02-20-2022, 01:44 PM
Great cartridge

Yep.

https://gundigest.com/gear-ammo/ammunition/why-the-300-hh-magnum-still-endures

mattri
02-23-2022, 08:12 PM
Welcome Hdskip!

Sounds like a very interesting project- cant wait to see how it unfolds.

Forgive me for being obtuse but you have a 30-06, aren't rebarreling it but running in a 300 reamer to rechamber correct?

Hdskip
03-05-2022, 08:47 AM
yes that is the plan.

Hdskip
03-24-2022, 02:36 PM
As an update on this project , the barrel has been re-chambered with out incident. I'll be modifying the bolt face since there seem to be none available. After that and reassembly of the barreled action I can begin final in-letting and bedding. Also it looks like I will be fabricating a floor plate as none seem to be available either. All in all things are proceeding nicely. As things progress I'll keep you posted.

Hdskip
08-16-2022, 07:57 AM
Well I'm making an update on progress on this project. All the modifications to the bolt head were made and turned out well. The most difficult part was the ejector as it needed to be shortened and spring hole plugged and relocated. A stock was secured from Numrich. .I found a left handed stock semi finished stock in pretty figured walnut. I converted it to right hand action and leaving the cheek piece on the right side for my lefthandedness.it has been bedded and test fired . All functions are working well. Work has commenced on finishing the stock. This will be an oil finish and may take several weeks to complete. I'll report back on progress and try to figure out adding pictures.

efm77
08-16-2022, 09:55 AM
Nice project! Looking forward to seeing pictures. I didn't see it mentioned though, are you running this as a single shot, or are you lengthening the magazine port and magazine to make it a repeater?

Dave Hoback
08-16-2022, 10:11 AM
Very cool. Looking forward to pictures. You have my kind of patience with projects & builds.

BTW, what glass & mounting hardware are you going with on top?

Hdskip
08-16-2022, 09:37 PM
I'm using one piece Talley rings and mounts with a vintage Redfield 4x optic.It seemed to be keeping with my theme of a classic rifle. As far as modifying the magazine well I doubt I will do that . My intention is to shoot mainly cast bullets in this. I can seat them deep enough to use the magazine as is. If I use jacketed bullets I will feed it single shot. As far as using this for serious hunting work , that ship has sailed for me due to aging and health issues. This whole project was done basically on a whim just because I can and the challenge for me was to do it as economically (translated cheap) as possible and still be done safely. Doing projects like this brings me enjoyment and keeps me off the streets and out of too much trouble. I'll keep reporting progress as it happens. Thanks for interest and comments.