PDA

View Full Version : Got a crazy idea

Pages : 1 [2]

dolomite_supafly
10-23-2009, 06:40 AM
I had some primed brass that was splitting at the neck with full power loads so I had to use them for something else. I tried a few things then decided to put some 22 caliber bellets in the end of the case and used only the primer to launch them. They were very quiet and decently accurate out to 25 yards. Drop was about 5 inches but they grouped within an inch. No where near as fast as a 22lr but seemed a littel faster than CB's. The primers were CCI400's and my barrel is 18".

I have used Clays to load some slow stuff but it was inconsistent. I suspect you could use Trailboss and get better results because it is a fluffier powder, filling the case more.

Dolomite

bluealtered
10-23-2009, 07:43 AM
It was common practice where i grew up to use a single shot .22. The way it was done is to remove the bullet from a .22 short, put a peice of cotten in it's place and a drop of wax to hold it there. Take a .22 cleaning rod cut to whatever length needed, insert in barrel and a peice of tape over the end of the barrel.

This is how unwanted critters were removed from the area very quietly, with a .22 long rifle it would penatrate a 2x4. blue

EFBell
10-23-2009, 08:45 AM
I used to put a small (smallest) lee dipper of 3F in my 22-250 with a standard primer and a Benjamin pellet for backyard duties as a kid. Worked like a charm. Don't forget to clean up real good when done playing.

If I remember right I think Benjamin used to sell 22 cal lead ball; might be something to think about.

Baja_Traveler
10-23-2009, 01:40 PM
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SBK1F Here is a .220 lead round ball you could use. They also have #TT Buckshot, which is .210" if it would work better...

220swifty
11-03-2009, 01:02 AM
Sounds like something we have had here in Canada for a while now.

http://www3.telus.net/gamegetter/

handirifle
11-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the ideas.

Russ
12-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Did this with a 17 cal K-Hornet out of a Contender pistol. Turned a solid brass case witha 1-16th hole through the length, then drilled for a 17 caliber pellet at the neck and a large rifle mag primer in the base. Was good for head shots on rabbits out to 20 yards. All you heard was the hammer on the Contender falling. ;D ;D

handirifle
12-18-2009, 11:49 PM
Did this with a 17 cal K-Hornet out of a Contender pistol. Turned a solid brass case witha 1-16th hole through the length, then drilled for a 17 caliber pellet at the neck and a large rifle mag primer in the base. Was good for head shots on rabbits out to 20 yards. All you heard was the hammer on the Contender falling. ;D ;D

Thanks, good feedback.

handirifle
12-19-2009, 12:06 AM
Hmmmm, does anyone know how hard the steel in a "Go" headspace guage is? That would be just about perfect, except for the missing neck!

dolomite_supafly
12-19-2009, 07:40 AM
Hmmmm, does anyone know how hard the steel in a "Go" headspace guage is? That would be just about perfect, except for the missing neck!

What about taking a case and filling it with JB Weld, letting it harden then drilling it?

Just a thought
Dolomite

Bad Water Bill
12-19-2009, 10:49 AM
once the JB has cured you can turn a groove to hold an O ring without fear of cutting thru the wall of the case.

Keep us posted

handirifle
12-20-2009, 03:07 AM
once the JB has cured you can turn a groove to hold an O ring without fear of cutting thru the wall of the case.

Keep us posted

Could you explain this a bit more for me?

Bad Water Bill
12-20-2009, 05:39 AM
Dolomite is filling the case with JB Weld. Once it has cured you now have a solid object that can not expand and seal the gasses directly into the bbl.

Outlawyote solved that problem by putting an O Ring at the junction of the neck and shoulder. The ring might come off because there is no way of keeping it secure. Now you have an object stuck in the chamber which will be dangerous. Time to pull another bbl.

The brass is to thin to cut a ridge to hold the O Ring without separating shoulder from neck. By using the JB, the cartridge can be drilled to contain the gas in a much smaller area and the ring keeps the gas pushing the pellet out the bbl and not allowing gas to seep into the chamber area.

All of this work can be done with only an electric drill and a file if you use the SLOW setting JB Weld. It will take more than 4 minutes to fill the case with that thick stuff.

Hope this helps

Three44s
12-20-2009, 10:31 AM
With respect to using an original rifle casing .......... as I recall the drill size for converting it to a current sized shotgun primer was "letter drill ..... C ..... "

Something like .242" ???

(This is from memory and another forum)

Three 44s

dolomite_supafly
12-20-2009, 10:38 PM
I think once you fill the case with JB weld you will get a much more energetic pellet because of the less inside the case. In my original shooting I was using full sized cases with small rifle primers. I bet if you reduced the case capacity and used a small rifle magnum primer you would get a much fast lauch of the pellet.

Just some thoughts
Dolomite

BTW, I haven't tried the JB Weld trick, it was just a after thought.

handirifle
12-20-2009, 11:30 PM
Will have to give it a go and see what happens.

The biggest trick, MIGHT be to actually find the primers ;D