PDA

View Full Version : Recoil pad suggestions

Fahnrich
02-16-2022, 03:21 AM
I just got a .308 in hardwood and there is basically zero recoil pad on it. My axis is my first gun that's not a .22, and my shoulder is pretty messed up on my shooting arm from an old injury so I'm looking for something that can help cushion some of the blow from the recoil.

From my understanding the hardwood especially kicks like an SOB for a beginner rifle, and I'm trying to not have my shoulder messed up the next day.

From what I saw on my new gun (the whole 30 minutes I actually had it in my possession) there is very little to no recoil pad on it to begin with.

I should be able to bring it home in about 2 weeks and I'm trying to find a recoil pad so when I do bring it home I can go shooting for the day without regretting it the next day.

I cannot find anything online on the stock size of it either so I can buy one for it.

Dave Hoback
02-16-2022, 06:20 AM
There are many different type pads you can use that just slip onto any butttstock. There are also the libsaver type pads that you wear over your shoulder. And then there are the universal type than permanently attach to the buttstock. They are oversized and you cut shape them yourself. A custom fit.

charlie b
02-16-2022, 08:08 PM
For taming recoil I use a shoulder pad. My pick was the PAST magnum size. I also use it for shotguns although it can mess up shouldering the gun.

It is enough to soften the recoil from the brass hook type buttplate on my .50cal muzzle loader (shooting 450gn bullets with 80-100gn of powder).

I have found recoil pads on rifles and shotguns to not work that well. The do a little, but, the force is still concentrated on a small area. The shoulder pad spreads that out over a larger area.