PDA

View Full Version : Extra mags - Axis XP II

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Dave Hoback
02-20-2022, 08:52 AM
First thing I would do if I ever had a Savage with factory magazine. New Bottom Metal(or in my case, Chassis) and AICS mags.

Turkeytider
02-20-2022, 08:58 AM
As much as I like my two Savage rifles, my experience has been that episodic, magazine related feeding issues are a weak point. Is there any kind of general consensus that that`s common? Usually first round.

Dave Hoback
02-20-2022, 09:00 AM
Yup! Refer back to post #20 by Charlie.

Tiekmir
02-21-2022, 02:49 AM
I think I am going to figure out how to produce after market, non-OEM Axis magazines. I will be a millionaire as is seems either Savage isn't making them anymore or sold so many Axis rifles they cannot keep up with demand.

Brownguynamety
02-21-2022, 04:39 AM
They are on eBay from $40 - $50. You can also convert your stock, or buy a Boyd’s stock with a kit and it will accept the 10 round mags savage also sells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Hoback
02-21-2022, 08:35 AM
Yes, people already did this with the AR15 Pmags in 223. You have 308, so you could try to modify for their AICS mags. I use those mags myself.

Tiekmir
02-21-2022, 02:56 PM
They are on eBay from $40 - $50. You can also convert your stock, or buy a Boyd’s stock with a kit and it will accept the 10 round mags savage also sells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL No. The ones I saw are going from $80-$120. It's price gouging because of supply shortage.

As for a stock, I plan on getting mine from Sharp Shooters. I want their Laminate Varmint Tactical (LVT) in the black/white/grey. It's amazing.

https://i.postimg.cc/rKmHHM4k/LVT-Catalog-Pic.jpg (https://postimg.cc/rKmHHM4k)

Tiekmir
02-21-2022, 03:02 PM
Yes, people already did this with the AR15 Pmags in 223. You have 308, so you could try to modify for their AICS mags. I use those mags myself.

I wasn't talking about modifying a mag, but producing them from the ground up as new. I work in steel fab running an Amada CNC laser punch machine working sheet metal work. I could figure out how to do a design to have grooved and cut out. Then it's just a matter of bending the parts on a press brake and welding on the bottom. I would probably use a high grade aluminum.

Dave Hoback
02-21-2022, 03:17 PM
Oh, was wondering as you made a post under “Axis Facts” as you finding & passing on the knowledge of the extended Snider mags. The same ones I drew your attention to.

Would be pretty cool if you were able make your own, and better quality than the Snider’s I alerted to.

charlie b
02-21-2022, 07:10 PM
Don't rush out there. Snyder probably is the 'leader' in higher capacity Axis mags. There was another guy in here playing with 3d printing some mags. Not sure if he ever succeeded. Magazine construction is not simple. Just witness all the ones that don't work right, even from the factories (am including other mfgs in this as well).

If I was ever serious about magazines I'd get a different stock that takes AICS mags.

Dave Hoback
02-21-2022, 09:43 PM
Yeah, that’s my thought on it as well Charlie. But.. I will say, nothing wrong with a “project”, ya know? Could be fun. Hell, I wouldn’t know half what do in knife making & Machining if I didn’t try things & not be afraid to fail. Many things went as or BETTER than planned! Some things were a wash to flat out failure, sure. But I always learned from each of my projects. So I say go for it. Just don’t dump much money into it at first.

Tiekmir
02-21-2022, 10:05 PM
Oh, was wondering as you made a post under “Axis Facts” as you finding & passing on the knowledge of the extended Snider mags. The same ones I drew your attention to.

Would be pretty cool if you were able make your own, and better quality than the Snider’s I alerted to.

I have their link saved for the Snyder mags. They look very nice. Expensive, but nice.

As for production I would be making them for market sales, not just for me. It's just an idea and a business opportunity I see open

Tiekmir
02-21-2022, 10:09 PM
Don't rush out there. Snyder probably is the 'leader' in higher capacity Axis mags. There was another guy in here playing with 3d printing some mags. Not sure if he ever succeeded. Magazine construction is not simple. Just witness all the ones that don't work right, even from the factories (am including other mfgs in this as well).

If I was ever serious about magazines I'd get a different stock that takes AICS mags.

I do metal fab as a job so I probably know more than the average hobbist as far as manufacturing goes. I might see if production would be possible at my work.

I wonder if Sharp Shooter stocks take AICS mags.

Dave Hoback
02-22-2022, 06:51 AM
I’m sure Fred can make it to accept the proper bottom metal. Any laminate, hardwood, plastic or Glass stock inlet for magazines, must use a Bottom Metal for the type of mag.

I would talk to Fred before ordering and get his opinion. Sharpshooter is his handle here.(Fred owns SSS). He’ll get you squared away with the correct stock and parts you may need.

charlie b
02-22-2022, 10:47 PM
I do metal fab as a job so I probably know more than the average hobbist as far as manufacturing goes. I might see if production would be possible at my work.

I wonder if Sharp Shooter stocks take AICS mags.

It isn't the metal mfg that is the problem. It is the feed lips and their geometry relative to the barrel. Many folks have tried to make magazines and many have failed. Even Savage factory mags are hit and miss with reliability. And, as simple and old as it is, there are several mfg of 1911 pistol mags that do not make reliable products.

Dave Hoback
02-23-2022, 12:06 AM
This is so very true. Big reason I use Magpul. I was one of their first customers in fact. 2006, when the Gen1 Pmags were released and I was hooked immediately. I use them for my AR, the Magpul AICS and even their Glock style mags in my P80SC carry gun. I’ve never had a single problem with any. They are one that truly got magazines done right.

But just look at some companies that have been making HORRIBLE magazines for decades! Like Pro-Mag.. UHG! Goes to show just how difficult proper magazine construction is.

Tiekmir
02-23-2022, 05:11 AM
It isn't the metal mfg that is the problem. It is the feed lips and their geometry relative to the barrel. Many folks have tried to make magazines and many have failed. Even Savage factory mags are hit and miss with reliability. And, as simple and old as it is, there are several mfg of 1911 pistol mags that do not make reliable products.

Well, I can give it the old college try. You never know. I could make something good.

Fr. Tommy
03-18-2022, 12:31 PM
https://www.tacticalworks.com/savage-short-action-magazine-box-for-factory-dbm-oem.html

I bought one about a week ago. No time to try it yet, but it looks perfect: exactly like the one that came with rifle.

Should be two left. I think.

NB the direct link should work. I had trouble finding by web site. Had to back into it via my completed order page.

Back to lurking...

Fr. Tommy
03-18-2022, 08:48 PM
I searched the forums and did not find a sufficent answer.

Does anyone have tips on a good place to buy non-OEM mags for the rifle I have? I looked on Savages website. If the mags they have aren't sold out, they want an arm and a leg for them. Not cool at all.

I bought the Savage Arms Axis II XP Package 57095. Is that short or long action?

Any tips would be appretiated.

I bought 2 from Tactical works.com. I paid 39 each + 5 something for shipping. Received one yesterday and bought another one today. Not really sure if they'll work, but there it is. They look exactly like the one that came with my gun, but I really don't have enough experience to say for sure. I just checked, and they have two left right now. Hope this helps.

Tiekmir
03-24-2022, 10:48 PM
https://www.tacticalworks.com/savage-short-action-magazine-box-for-factory-dbm-oem.html

I bought one about a week ago. No time to try it yet, but it looks perfect: exactly like the one that came with rifle.

Should be two left. I think.

NB the direct link should work. I had trouble finding by web site. Had to back into it via my completed order page.

Back to lurking...

Thanks! Awesome. I'll give em a try.