PDA

View Full Version : Convert L/A BBR DBM to blind magazine

Darryle
02-15-2022, 02:29 PM
Excuse my ignorance, trying to learn.

Is it possible to convert a BBR DBM long action to a blind magazine? I just purchased a 116 LWH from a young man who was in the middle of a build. I want to put a graphite glass stock on it if possible. I also want to try to convert it at the same time.

Thanks Darryle

Dave Hoback
02-15-2022, 02:54 PM
Hey Darryle, Sure you can. But you’ll need the internal mag box, spring & follower. Which I guess you could reuse from a current magazine if you have one. Except for the box. And you’ll likely need to do some fitment, depending on stock choice. Interesting. Most people want to switch FROM a Blind mag TO Bottom metal & detachable mags.. not t’other way around. But hey, what suits ya.

Just an idea. You could likely just get a flush fit magazine, if it’s not already? Just wondering what is driving your desire to switch TO blind mag?

Darryle
02-15-2022, 09:23 PM
Weight and less to go wrong on a trip. This is going to be a 280 Ackley with a 26" Criterion barrel.

I purchased 2 stainless LWH rifles, one L/A and one S/A, the short action will become a 7mm-08 also with a stainless 24" Criterion barrel.

Also, I noticed these BBR rifles seem to be contrary to remove the bolt, is it safe to remove a minor amount of material off of the bolt stop to allow for easy bolt removal? The 2 I have, you have to pull firmly on the bolt to remove it. I can see where it drags on the bolt and the bolt stop is shiny as well.

Thanks for the advice.

Robinhood
02-15-2022, 11:32 PM
1 new or used BBR short action blind mag stock.
1 new or used BBR long action blind mag stock.
2 new or usedd L-clips magazine retainers
2 Blind Mag BBR Trigger Guards

The bolt stop is part of the trigger sear and acts as a firing pin release. Any modification done to that, I would be very cautious and discuss it with Fred Moreo If he would care to respond. It is possible that you are not pulling the button back far enough for the bolt to not be removed easily.

Also, you could consider permanantly attaching the dbm with epoxy if it is that much of a problem.

Dave Hoback
02-16-2022, 02:14 AM
Just as Robin said. I’d be very careful. The TBR is easier because it’s being PUSHED down vs a small lever being pulled back like the BBR. I would only do it if I was absolutely & positively CERTAIN that I was pulling back all the way & it was still rubbing. Even then, I would start just by smoothing/rounding the edge just a couple thousandths at a time, & checking the bolt removal with each couple Thous.

Once again... ONLY if you are positive in both the cause and in your own ability. Not something you want to do if not absolutely certain. Remember... normal folks like us can’t get the bolt release/sear. Mess it up and your only course aside from Savage or ‘smith is the Jard trigger as it comes with the bolt release/sear.

Darryle
02-16-2022, 12:02 PM
Turns out the BBR channel had bedding material stuck in the top portion of the grove where it goes thru the action just below the bolt. Found it while cleaning up the action to remove some marks from the previous owners attempts to remove the bedding material stuck to the receiver.

Thanks

Dave Hoback
02-16-2022, 12:16 PM
Lol! Welp...goes to show why being absolutely certain is of such importance before doing any modification. Good stuff!

*gull-dern those trouble makin’ “previous owners”! LOL!