PDA

View Full Version : axis inaccuracy

Pages : [1] 2

preacheranschuetz
02-15-2022, 02:10 PM
Recently purchased a used Axis in 25-06. With the gun there was a box of reloaded 115 gr. ammo. I also purchased the only two boxes of ammo the dealer had, one a 100 gr. Rem. corelock, the other a 120 gr. Rem. corelock. The gun has a Tasco world class 3-9 40 on it. Going to change that soon! I had the gun shop bore sight it before taking it out. Two days ago i took the gun out to shoot it. I set up at 100 yds using a sandbag to rest on. I fired a 3 shot group and it was dead on, only about 1 1/2 inch between. That was with the 115 grain reloads. I then shot a d3 shot group with the 100 gr. factory and was shocked to find that the three shots were all about 12 inches apart. One about 6 inches over the bull, one about the same to the right of the bull and one completely off the target. I checked out all the tightness of the scope mounts and found everything to be tight. Yesterday i went back out and set up at 50 yds. and shot another 3 shot group. This time i had one in the bull, one about 4 inches above and another about the same distance to the right. I am at a loss, and not wanting to have spent $40 on a box of ammo this gun will not shoot. The rest was good, and very steady and should have been all in the bull. Even if they had grouped somewhere would have been find, but these 100 gr. are flying all over the place. Have not shot the 120 gr. yet, too hard to buy ammo right now and hunting season is over. Any ideas or help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Dave Hoback
02-15-2022, 03:20 PM
Yes, as I’ve already answered the bulk to you, need to fire some more. At least using the OTHER ammo that’s it well for you. Make certain THAT ammunition is STILL shooting true. Can’t figure out the a problem based on a ONLY a couple groups. You’ve established the 100gr. ammo has poor accuracy. You need to shoot the original ammunition once again to isolate the accuracy problem is fault of the ammunition or the rifle.

BTW: I wouldn’t trust the gun shop of making it certain the scope, rings & mount are installed & screws torqued correctly. Not unless you know them well. “Gun Store” guys aren’t always as knowledgeable as they THINK or present themselves to be. Some are very knowledgeable.

preacheranschuetz
02-15-2022, 04:10 PM
I checked the mounts and rings myself. I shot the 100 gr. again at 50 yds yesterday and all 3 shots hit erratic. The 115 group at 100 yds. was probably an inch to an inch and a half. These were reloads. If it were loose mounts all ammo would shoot erratic. The gun is not new, and by all standards has already been shot alot, but still in very good shape.

Dave Hoback
02-15-2022, 04:45 PM
Ok, yes... if it’s ONLY certain types of ammunition shooting with very poor accuracy, than yes.. the fault lies with that specific ammo. So unfortunately YES.. you wasted $40 on ammunition. But kinda comes with the territory. Every rifle likes different ammunition. And you need to try various loadings to find what your rifle likes. Same applies to us to reload. We go through many, MANY different bullets, powder, primers etc. in order to find that PERFECT recipe. Then we change something and need to do it all over again! Most of us actually like this though. It’s part of the hobby.

wbm
02-15-2022, 06:19 PM
I don't think it is the ammunition. I think it is the scope. Have you got another scope you can try on it?

Dave Hoback
02-15-2022, 07:03 PM
I don't think it is the ammunition. I think it is the scope. Have you got another scope you can try on it?

Well, he just said that it’s ONLY the one ammunition, unless I misunderstood. If it’s only in a irate with the one type of ammo, it can’t be the scope. ALL types of anmo would be inaccurate. Little too quick to condemn the scope I think, LOL.

Mr.Snerdly
02-15-2022, 07:46 PM
Were the 2 boxes of ammo you bought he same? If I am reading correctly, you had 2 horrible groups, one perhaps acceptable. I think I would try a different scope. Scopes can drive you crazy thinking the gun is trash. I had that experience on my 243. Finally got a decent scope on it and it is pretty accurate now, maybe 5/8"-7/8" and I am far from a perfect marksman.

charlie b
02-15-2022, 08:39 PM
The reloads he got shoot fine. The factory ammo does not. It is not that unusual to find factory ammo that does not shoot well (although yours is some of the worst I've seen).

What bullets were used in the reloads and what bullets were in the factory loads? Were the factory loads long range target type and the reloads flat base hunting type?

Dave Hoback
02-16-2022, 06:29 AM
Not what he said. Read again. He’s only shot TWO different kinds of ammo. The reloads & ONLY the one factory 100gr.. Hasn’t even tried the 120 grain. It’s just not enough shooting to say this or that. CERTAINLY not enough to condemn anything.

Needs to shoot more. Shoot a couple groups of EACH, and then let us know.

wbm
02-16-2022, 08:38 AM
Oh of course. Couldn't possibly be the scope.

Dave Hoback
02-16-2022, 11:39 AM
I didn’t say that wbm. Bit disingenuous there, no?:rolleyes: I think most any knowledgeable shooter would ascertain that a couple groups, with only one or two kinds of ammunition, simply is NOT enough data to make a judgment on condemning a part.

That’s all I’m saying. Aaaan ya know that. Wasn’t an attack on you wbm. Sorry if you thought it so.:redface-new:

preacheranschuetz
02-17-2022, 01:20 AM
I am sorry you took my response wrong, i felt no attack or criticism, was merely trying to clarify that i had shot the 100 ammo more than one time on two different days with the same result. I am really trying to be careful because as of right now there seems to be no 115 gr available anywhere that i have found. I only have about a dozen shells left and they are reloads as i had said. Again, i appologize for the language i used, but meant no offense by it.

preacheranschuetz
02-17-2022, 01:32 AM
Yes, you are so right, been there, done that. When I was much younger, am now 77 yrs. old, did a lot of reloading. Alot of "experimenting" with differernt powders and bullets, but now, do not have any reloading equipment any longer. Some articles i have read recently have stated that the 115 gr. shots the best from the 25-06 and that would be good if i could find some. I use to load 117 gr. in Barnes partition and loved them for deer. Aah! Fond memories, much different than things are today. Thank you!

preacheranschuetz
02-17-2022, 01:35 AM
Will do!

Dave Hoback
02-17-2022, 01:54 AM
I am sorry you took my response wrong, i felt no attack or criticism, was merely trying to clarify that i had shot the 100 ammo more than one time on two different days with the same result. I am really trying to be careful because as of right now there seems to be no 115 gr available anywhere that i have found. I only have about a dozen shells left and they are reloads as i had said. Again, i appologize for the language i used, but meant no offense by it.

Oh, I wasn’t referring to you preacher. You didn’t anything wrong at all. I was responding to wbm. Him & I have both been here many years and have responded back and forth on many topics. I’m very sorry you thought I was responding to you. Not at all. I really am just trying to help. I wish I could give you an answer on the spot & have it be correct. But I’m sure you know it just doesn’t work like that, unfortunately.

charlie b
02-17-2022, 07:35 AM
So, what were the two bullets used? Seems unlikely that it would be a stability issue, but, stranger things have happened.

Underhammer
02-17-2022, 12:34 PM
Others must shoot a 25-06, what ammo does yours like? Factory and reloads.

Dave Hoback
02-17-2022, 12:53 PM
Every rifle is different. Not bad info to know.. but can’t go solely on what others use. Need to test it with several & verify.

preacheranschuetz
02-18-2022, 12:56 AM
The good group was 115 gr. reloads, don't have any idea of what the bullet was other than 115 gr. The bullets that were so inconsistent, both at 100 yds. as well as 50 yds. were Remington corelock 100 gr. Just bought a new Sig Sauer Buckmaster 3-9 x 50 and had it mounted and bore sighted. will shoot as soon as the weather clears up a little. Thank you all.

wbm
02-18-2022, 09:02 AM
+1.