PDA

View Full Version : .223 to 5.45x39 axis conversion.

bobsonofbob
02-15-2022, 12:21 PM
Well here I go, got a gun plumbered axis 223 for a good deal. Crown is damaged, rifling looks sharp. So I intend to cut the barrel shank off a little so when I recut chamber, the correct ammount of cartridge base will protrude. This is going to be my first chamber ream. I realise the difference of bullet dia's .224 vrs .221 but am going to try it on my own and see if key holing or ridiculous poor accuracy is just a myth or armchair gun smithing. If I can shoot into a six inch circle at 75 yards I'll be happy. So perhaps an extracor mod, the bolt face has to opened up a bit for the dia. of the 5.45 base, 223 mag should be gtg and we'll see if it shoots. What do you guys that really know think? We just cannot get barrels in Canada and the sources for that caliber seem to be dried up.

Dave Hoback
02-15-2022, 12:44 PM
Is this serious, or are you just clowning?

The “CROWN” is the end of the muzzle where the projectile exits. A muzzle CROWN is typically either an 11 degree Target Crown or recessed. If you aren’t too concerned, you can do an “OK” DIY job without a lathe or specific tool. There are several videos on YouTube showing how. I recommend watching several before attempting. There is no reason to “cut the shank” as you put it, OR do anything with chamber! Poor accuracy is not a myth or armchair anything. Sorry, but no.

And what are you talking about not being able to get barrels in Canada? There ARE barrel manufacturers IN Canada! I actually JUST purchased a barrel nut from International Barrels, located in Cilliwack BC, Canada. Look ‘em up!

I sincerely suggest you NOT attempt anything with the barrel. At least not until I you’ve researched & learned a whole lot more. It’s just a recipe for disaster.

Blue Avenger
02-15-2022, 09:07 PM

The “CROWN” is the end of the muzzle where the projectile exits. A muzzle CROWN is typically either an 11 degree Target Crown or recessed. If you aren’t too concerned, you can do an “OK” DIY job without a lathe or specific tool. There are several videos on YouTube showing how. I recommend watching several before attempting. There is no reason to “cut the shank” as you put it, OR do anything with chamber! Poor accuracy is not a myth or armchair anything. Sorry, but no.

And what are you talking about not being able to get barrels in Canada? There ARE barrel manufacturers IN Canada! I actually JUST purchased a barrel nut from International Barrels, located in Cilliwack BC, Canada. Look ‘em up!

I sincerely suggest you NOT attempt anything with the barrel. At least not until I you’ve researched & learned a whole lot more. It’s just a recipe for disaster.

you must have skipped the part where he is wanting to rechamber the barrel!

Stumpkiller
02-15-2022, 10:08 PM
Sounds like an interesting project - but it may be doomed to frustration with factory ammo. The 5.45mm uses a 0.220" bullet and has 0.0214" lands. The .223 uses a .224" bullet and has 0.219" lands. That means you'll only be scratching 0.0005" of the rifling into the bullet. I suspect keyholing won't be so much of a problem as knuckleballing will. They just won't grab the rifling.

But once you have the cases formed you can reload and switch to a 0.223" expander die (Or use the excellent K&N Neck expander mandrel and die after neck sizing) and use 0.224" bullets and all should be fine. Or just load from empty new cases.

Shoot flat base bullets if you're not recrowning or use a home recrowning kit. They are much more forgiving of a bad or uneven crown.

It will be good practice for the next project. But personally I'd refurbish in .223. I'm a huge fan of that caliber and have a single-shot (1:12" twist so I shoot 52 & 53 gr bullets). I've fired thousands of rounds through my rifle over 35+ years. Cheap and easy to reload for. Grim death on garden pests and chicken coop prowlers.

Back to my armchair.

tomme boy
02-15-2022, 11:18 PM
century arms used a 223 barrel on their ak74 rifles they built. Had to take every single one back and refund each rifle. All the bullets were hitting sideways at 10yds. This barrel will not work

Dave Hoback
02-16-2022, 06:38 AM
Ha! Yeah... I immediately went to the WORK he was explaining doing. Meanwhile, I lost sight of the 223 to 5.45 detail... LOL!

Just as said... it won’t work! Forget 6” groups! You’ll end up with several FOOT groups. But, I did supply a Barrel manufacturer right in Canada that somehow shouldn’t exist.

bobsonofbob
02-20-2022, 12:12 AM
Wow some of your comments to a new comer, yep read my post. NONE of you guys have done it yourself and thats my point. No you cannoot get a 5.45x39 barrel in canada period. I'm not some video game mall ninja shooter wannbe. I am a retired AME look it up and have been shooting since killin rats in a chicken coop at age 6. Dave Hoback, you should have read my post, your quick answer soured the replies. I'll keep y'all posted and if it dont shoot worth Krappe, I'll let you know. I was expecting some knowledge and not trash talk about a fun project. Thanks Stumpkiller, I'm well aware of the differences you mentioned, Ive got a Tikka T3lite if I want to get serious, Ive probably dented over 20K of primers at least over my darn near 50 years of shooting.
Keep your caps dry and your powder hidden.

Dave Hoback
02-20-2022, 08:32 PM
Awesome! Have fun with that. :redface-new:

Oh.. and, uhh.., no, my post didn’t “sour” replies from anyone. The guys here think for themselves. And they know their own information. There is no “mob” mentality like so many other forums. No one is trash talking against, simply because you didn’t get the response you wanted. People here are extremely knowledgeable.. many of us are gunsmiths, both professional & hobbyists. Several of us are multi faceted, also being machinists & such. And we gave you our honest knowledge that it’s not going to work & be a waste of money. If you can’t handle that and somehow think you are the one to reinvent the wheel, I wish you luck.

charlie b
02-20-2022, 09:53 PM
Sorry you got a sour feel off of this, but, I suspect there is a good reason why no one has done this before.

Kinda reminds me of firing a .50cal, nonstop (1970's, M85MG on the M60 tank, high rate of about 1000rpm). At the 250 round point the barrel heated up enough that the bullets didn't fully fill the bore. They made a nice spiral pattern going down range (really cool at night with the tracers).

bobsonofbob
03-10-2022, 12:08 PM
I machined a nice eleven degree contour crown on that bubba'd .223 barrel. I have decided to find a better barrel to use for my project, it is a lot of work for what may be a poor accuracy rifle. So this axis is going to stay 223. I did find a barrel in USA at Lothar Walther. Now I have see if I can get it into Canada, that is not easy. I'm still going forward with this project, on a savage axis platform. Will post my project when all is said and done. Thanks to all that had positive things to say. How did DH get banned.

bobsonofbob
03-10-2022, 12:22 PM
in error

bobsonofbob
03-10-2022, 12:24 PM
International Barrels in Chilliwack does not have a barrel in 5.45x39

Blue Avenger
03-10-2022, 09:25 PM
[QUOTE=bobsonofbob;499775. How did DH get banned.[/QUOTE]

conflict between him and yo buck. 30 days. so they may be back