PDA

View Full Version : Axis inaccuracy problem

preacheranschuetz
02-14-2022, 11:44 AM
I recently purchased a used Axis in 25-06 caliber. Got a box of 115 gr. ammo with it. I also purchased a box of 100 gr. Remington corelock as well as a box of 120 gr. Rem. corelock ammo. (only two boxes in this caliber gun store had. Yesterday i shot the gun for the first time using the 115 gr. ammo and was very pleased with the results. Three shots at 100 yds. using bag and all three in bull. I then run 3 of the 100 gr. through and one was completely off the target, one about 6" above and one about 4" to the right. Can't understand how or why this is the case and looking for any info anyone might have concerning it. I hate to think that i spent $40 on a box of ammo that is I can't use!!! Thank you!

Dave Hoback
02-15-2022, 02:54 AM
Welcome. In the future, best to post these questions in the “Axis” Forum, or other appropriate forum based on topic. Take some time to familiarize yourself with the various Forums here. This one is just to introduce yourself. I don’t normally like trying to answering questions here as almost nobody will see it. Other inexperienced Savage shooters could have a like problem & might benefit from reading your thread. But I’ll answer as you already posted. While that sounds drastic, YES, you may well have ammo the gun simply DOES NOT LIKE! Very few rifles will shoot EVERY round equally well. Sometimes several inches apart. Your example as I said, is QUITE drastic... being what?? A 10, 12 Inch spread or more? However, a single shooting with only one group is just not enough data to make an empirical judgement. Try shooting it some more, and with some other ammo as well, if you’re able. Gather a few groups and you’ll have the answer. If it shoots several other types of ammo or even just one that you have, relatively good, but then shooting the ammo that gave the one bad group shoots poorly again, than yes; you wasted money. But if the rifle is now shooting ALL ammo poorly, you have something wrong. The FIRST things to look at are your scope, and mounting components. Make certain the scope is torqued correctly in the rings, the rings torqued correctly to the rail & rail torqued correctly to Action. If you find anything loose, I recommend taking everything apart, clean all components with alcohol and reassemble torquing everything properly.

Again, any future findings, bring up in the Axis forum. And welcome on board.

ragsflh
02-15-2022, 09:21 AM
gun needs to be shot some to break in barrel too

Robinhood
02-15-2022, 11:19 PM
Remington ammo has had some issues lately based on the rumor mill.

Turkeytider
02-19-2022, 08:41 AM
Remington ammo has had some issues lately based on the rumor mill.

That`s interesting. While I know that factory, range fodder FMJs are hardly known for consistent accuracy, I`ve had worst luck with Remington .223.