PDA

View Full Version : Axis II inbound in 6mm ARC

Newmexican
02-12-2022, 09:23 PM
Hi fellas.
I have an AR-15 lower without a current upper and got interested in the 6mm ARC, having had uppers in 6.5 Grendel, .300 Blackout and .458 SOCOM.
But as I got to looking at uppers from reputable sources in the newish ARC, I realized I could buy a Savage Axis II bolt gun in this caliber and some reasonably good glass, come in below the price of an upper and probably have a much more accurate rifle, such is my faith in Savage barrels. Then I took a look at Hornady's bolt gun vs gas gun load data, got some serious religion and ordered the Axis II from Grabagun.
Dies and wonderful bullets are out there, but of course brass and small rifle primers not so much so.
Anyway, once I get the package together, mount the scope and source some ammo, I am thinking my next priority will be to put a Boyd's stock of some sort on this rifle.
Has anyone here been down this path?
Thanks in advance for comments.

Dave Hoback
02-12-2022, 10:32 PM
“BAA, BAA, BAA, Another One Bites The Dust, BAA-DA, BAA, BAA, BAA, Another One Bites The Dust! LOL! :surprise:

Just razzing ya. A few have to gone gone down the road of the 6mm GRENDEL, errr., I mean ARC.:rolleyes: Not the 6mm I’d choose by a long shot.., but I do wish you the best with it & hope you enjoy it.

Newmexican
02-12-2022, 11:02 PM
Thanks Dave. I know you are one of the reliable posters here, and appreciate your response. Realize the chambering may make less sense than, say .243, but if it gives me the accuracy satisfaction with less blast and push then I will be quite happy. If we could buy 6PPCs or 6BRs for under $400 ...

Dave Hoback
02-12-2022, 11:47 PM
I appreciate that partner.:redface-new: I sincerely enjoy this Forum and helping if I can.

They don’t have much recoil at all. And I’ll guarantee it’ll be as accurate as most can muster anyway. I think you will be pleased. If you enjoyed the 6.5 Grendel, you will be in love with this one. ESPECIALLY in a Bolt Gun, it will be a pleasure to shoot.

Newmexican
02-17-2022, 11:44 AM
Well, the rifle has not yet shipped, but I have ordered a Boyd's featherweight thumbhole stock and an Athlon Argos 6-24 30mm scope. Kinda waiting to order a rail until I know if the receiver is drilled for 6-48 or 8-40 screws. As to brass, Midway says it is overdue, so I hope that part of the problem is soon resolved.

Dave Hoback
02-17-2022, 12:50 PM
If this is a new Axis II you are getting, it will be threaded 8-40. All new Savage Actions, both Model 110’s & Axis II’s are now threaded 8-40.

Newmexican
02-23-2022, 09:43 AM
Picked up the rifle yesterday and will put it together today. The bolt slides reasonably smoothly -- or at least more smoothly than a Ruger American.

deadduck357
02-24-2022, 06:12 AM
Which model Axis II?

Newmexican
02-25-2022, 09:22 AM
Plain vanilla Axis II for $392 from Grabagun.

Dave Hoback
02-25-2022, 01:18 PM
8-40 scope mount screws..., yes?

Newmexican
02-27-2022, 09:07 AM
Dave, yes, 8-40s. The EGW rail came with both size screws and a small tube of blue Vibratite, so I am trying that stuff out as a threadlocker. Have always used LocTite.

Dave Hoback
02-27-2022, 09:59 AM
Vibratite works very well. Don’t fall into their hoopla of it “isolating contact & shielding the part from vibration”, yadda-yadda-yadda. But it is very good threaocker. Actually switched to the Vibratite Gel medium strength for threadlocking. And I use their High temp retaining compound (567) on AR15 barrel extension to upper receiver fit.

Newmexican
03-08-2022, 10:29 AM
Well, I got to shoot the rifle yesterday and am embarrassed to say what it took to shoot these last two three-shot groups.
It has been so long that I sat down at the bench and tried to really snuggle them together that I forgot the amount of effort it takes to shoot one-holers at 100 yards. I plead cheap Caldwell "The Rock" rest, cheap squeeze bag rear, untweaked Accutrigger, much older eyes and nerves.
Next round I will be better prepared. I know the rifle will shoot if I give it a chance.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/b356/BillOregon/fullsizeoutput_193a.jpeg?width=590&height=370&fit=bounds (https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/b356/BillOregon/fullsizeoutput_193a.jpeg?width=590&height=370&fit=bounds)