PDA

View Full Version : Firing pin??

Pages : 1 [2]

Robinhood
02-12-2022, 12:25 AM
What happened to the old one? Why can't you purchase a complete bolt?

Dave Hoback
02-12-2022, 12:52 AM
I too, am curious what happened to your original FP. So tell us...WHAT were you trying to do...and WHAT did you end up doing to it? “It just broke”, ain’t gonna fly, LOL! :surprise: J/K

Yeah, whole bolt assy would work, if you can find a complete assy. But it would come with the old firing pin.

THOR357
02-12-2022, 02:36 AM
Nothing happened to the "old" one. I never had an "old" one.

THOR357
02-12-2022, 02:47 AM
I too, am curious what happened to your original FP. So tell us...WHAT were you trying to do...and WHAT did you end up doing to it? “It just broke”, ain’t gonna fly, LOL! :surprise: J/K

Yeah, whole bolt assy would work, if you can find a complete assy. But it would come with the old firing pin.

My rifles still have the originals, "new" style firing pins. It's what they came with.
My reason for creating this thread was to get some help finding new firing pins just in case mine were worn down.
I shoot a lot, about 200-300 rds. per week when I can. I bought 6000 of Lake City pull down brass (cases with the powder and bullet removed but still have the military primer).
Occasionally I have an FTF with these. 99% are fine. Often a re-chambering results in a bang but not always. A fellow shooter thought it looked like a light primer strike. I agreed, hence the effort to locate a firing pin. My search proved fruitless until a fellow forum member stated that I have the "new" style firing pin which apparently is not available to the general public...yet. I've done all the usual stuff to the bolt assembly and hope to find out if it does the trick.

THOR357
02-12-2022, 02:51 AM
I don't need a complete bolt.
I wanted just a new firing pin.
I have since found out that my rifles have the "new" style firing pin and they are not available to the general public....yet.
I'm not even sure the firing pin is the issue but if they are cheap enough, I'd like to have spares as I shoot quite a bit.

THOR357
02-12-2022, 02:59 AM
This video shows new firing pin assembly, compared to the old one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJYO-feqC38

Yuup, I have the one he uses in the video.

Dave Hoback
02-12-2022, 05:36 AM
Yes...EXACTLY as the one I posted in response #17, BEFORE the video in posted.....right? Which looks SURPRISINGLY like the first picture I posted... same style you might say...YUP! :redface-new: LOL!!

Seriously, your reason for having a spare is a strength of the older style & part off why I like them. They are adjustable, with PLENTY of pin to spare. If it’s ever worn or deformed, simply regrind it round, smooth it and adjust back to .035” protrusion. Gun shack sells all the parts needed to swap to the old style here:https://www.gunshack.com/savage-parts?product_id=2897 The entire pin with spring, the Cocking piece & pin, and the BAS. Although your old BAS would work, I believe. It. Just has the hole in it.

wbm
02-12-2022, 04:48 PM
THOR357 Here's your sign!

Is it the 1 pc version, or the standard threaded version? I have both.

Talk to sharpshooter so your not ordering half of what you need.

THOR357
02-14-2022, 01:23 AM
THOR357 Here's your sign!
Keep your sign.
You need it more than I do!:p

wbm
02-14-2022, 09:04 AM
That's how come I got the right firing pins. :cool:

Robinhood
02-15-2022, 10:55 PM
I don't need a complete bolt.
I wanted just a new firing pin.
I have since found out that my rifles have the "new" style firing pin and they are not available to the general public....yet.
I'm not even sure the firing pin is the issue but if they are cheap enough, I'd like to have spares as I shoot quite a bit.
Firing pins are not a known wear part. If you want 25 extra firing pins, Im good with that. I know I speak for the majority of the guys trying to lend a hand to help, If you can ask the right question and give your best to answer our questions(even if it is "I don't know", we can work down that path.

What makes you believe you have a problem? Up untill this post above, all I knew was you needed a new firing pin. Give us a hint as to what is happening that you do not like or what makes you think the firing pin is the problem. Let us know exactly what is happeneing so we can get you a correct solution.

I personally believe that if you purchased an old style pin from midway(20.00) and picked up a cocking piece sleeve(12.00) as well as a cocking piece pin(8.00) and BAS(10.00) from Gunshack, the Midway firing pin would work. It will all fit in your bolt body. And you could adjust you Firing Pin Protrusion as you wear the tip out. Just remember you don't need anymore than .045" FPP.

On the other hand if you are having a fail to fire your problem is the new firing pin spring. Not the firing pin.

THOR357
02-16-2022, 12:23 AM
Firing pins are not a known wear part. If you want 25 extra firing pins, Im good with that. I know I speak for the majority of the guys trying to lend a hand to help, If you can ask the right question and give your best to answer our questions(even if it is "I don't know", we can work down that path.

What makes you believe you have a problem? Up untill this post above, all I knew was you needed a new firing pin. Give us a hint as to what is happening that you do not like or what makes you think the firing pin is the problem. Let us know exactly what is happeneing so we can get you a correct solution.

I personally believe that if you purchased an old style pin from midway(20.00) and picked up a cocking piece sleeve(12.00) as well as a cocking piece pin(8.00) and BAS(10.00) from Gunshack, the Midway firing pin would work. It will all fit in your bolt body. And you could adjust you Firing Pin Protrusion as you wear the tip out. Just remember you don't need anymore than .045" FPP.

On the other hand if you are having a fail to fire your problem is the new firing pin spring. Not the firing pin.

As I have stated elsewhere in this thread, I am using LC pull down brass. I went to my buddies range and had a number of FTF's. About 5 or 6 out of 250. We looked at the primers of the FTF's and concluded that the FTF's appeared to have lite primer strikes, hence the thought that maybe a new firing pin might help. I currently shoot about 250-300 rounds per week when conditions permit. I was shooting over 500 per week before TSHTF. I think that's a lot of rounds to be shooting by an amateur for about 3 years now.
The FTF's have only been with my LC's, all other ammo, whether my reloads or factory have functioned fine. My last 2000 reloads have been with CCI #34 7.62-51 military grade primers and have had zero FTF's.
So, like I said, I'm not even sure the firing pin is the problem. I have replaced the springs, and bolt heads, barrels for different reasons so it's either lite primer strikes or bad primers in the FTF's and since I removed the primers from the FTF's, removed the anvils and then took the primer powder out of the primer cup, placed the primer powder on an anvil and smacked it with a hammer, it went bang!!! I took 3 and rebuilt them and they worked fine. So tell me where I should be looking. The LC brass or the firing pin. I'd rather not do a conversion if I don't have to but will if the conversion will fix the issue. I bought several thousand of the LC pull down brass and only had FTF's from the last 250 or so.

P.S. There is apparently 2 types of firing pins available, The standard version pre 2019(?) and the ones I have. The one's I have apparently are not available to the average Joe. I'm an average Joe.

THOR357
02-16-2022, 12:29 AM
That's how come I got the right firing pins. :cool:

YAAY for you!!!��

THOR357
02-16-2022, 12:35 AM
Yes...EXACTLY as the one I posted in response #17, BEFORE the video in posted.....right? Which looks SURPRISINGLY like the first picture I posted... same style you might say...YUP! :redface-new: LOL!!

Seriously, your reason for having a spare is a strength of the older style & part off why I like them. They are adjustable, with PLENTY of pin to spare. If it’s ever worn or deformed, simply regrind it round, smooth it and adjust back to .035” protrusion. Gun shack sells all the parts needed to swap to the old style here:https://www.gunshack.com/savage-parts?product_id=2897 The entire pin with spring, the Cocking piece & pin, and the BAS. Although your old BAS would work, I believe. It. Just has the hole in it.

The type I have is a dedicated type (I think) and is completely different than the older style.
I understand I could get the parts to do a conversion but I'd rather not have to resort to that if I don't have to but I will if necessary.

Dave Hoback
02-16-2022, 01:50 AM
You answered your own question.

“The FTF’s have only been with my LC's, all other ammo, whether my reloads or factory have functioned fine. My last 2000 reloads have been with CCI #34 7.62-51 military grade primers and have had zero FTF's.”

Your FP is NOT the problem. If you shoot 10 different types of ammunition and 1 of those has a problem consistently, while ALL the others are fine, the issue is with THAT specific type...nothing else. The problem is with those LC’s you were shooting. Doesn’t matter if you pulled them apart & re-made 3 that worked. You said yourself the light strikes have ONLY been with LC rounds. Don’t use them. I’m sure you don’t want to hear that. Unfortunately you are chasing your tail for what is clearly an ammunition problem, not a rifle problem.

wbm
02-17-2022, 01:13 PM
+1.

Robinhood
02-19-2022, 09:13 PM
Light primer strikes: Firing pin spring. Grease or goo in the firing pin channel. Incorrect case headspacing.
There should be no more than .003" gap between the case head and the shoulder of the chamber and the sized case.
On a savage anything over .045" firing pin protrusion is going backwards.
If you lubricate the internals of your bolt you are going backwards.
If you just start replacing parts without understanding what you are doing you have overestimated you troubleshooting abilities.
If the later condition exists, save yourself some money and get on a forum and ask around...weed out the guys in your situation that just throw out ignorant stuff.

Dave Hoback
02-19-2022, 09:30 PM
Sounds about right to me!:redface-new:

PhilC
02-20-2022, 10:00 AM
About 5 or 6 out of 250. We looked at the primers of the FTF's and concluded that the FTF's appeared to have lite primer strikes, hence the thought that maybe a new firing pin might help.....So tell me where I should be looking.
Only happening with LC brass, and only a few at that, tells you it isn't the firing pin. Where to look? Primer pocket depth on those specific cases that FTF.