View Full Version : 30mm Scope mounting options

Pages : [1] 2

Highbrass
02-07-2022, 10:48 PM
My Rifle is a 110 Long action 243
Pre accutrigger (90s ?)
Round /Flat
looking for the best options for mounting a 30mm Scope 50 mm EB
I really like the DNZ Game Reaper 1 Piece mounts. I use them on all my Remington's
I would like something like this on my 110 but it appears all they offer in the 1 Pc mount is a 1" scope hole.
If I have to use a rail ...well I have to. I would likely use a 20 MOA rail and nice rings.
I have had pretty good luck with Warne products. Not married to any single brand though.

what suggestions do you have ???

Blue Avenger
02-07-2022, 11:35 PM
Long action flat back 110s need long tube scopes if you use the DNZ. It's sometimes hard to set eye relief. I tend to like the rail for that reason. Burris signature rings can be shimmed as needed to let you zero the scope at 100yds. Not sure if a 20moa base and 30mm tube will let you or not. You did not mention the brand.

Dave Hoback
02-07-2022, 11:38 PM
Well, I’m a Picatinny rail guy. 1-piece, 7075-t6..have a thing for Talley Rails, but Warne, Leupold etc, are also very good. I like Aluminum 2 or 3 screw rings like the TPS, Seekins, Tier One. Only. Steel rings I like are the Warne Tactical. I’m also a big fan of 1-piece Picatinny scope mounts. I’ve been using an AD-Recon-S mount with QD levers for a several of years now. Just went from a 30mm scope to a 34mm main tube and the Recon-S actually allows to replace just the rings. Nice little thing, cost savings over getting a whole new mount or new 2-piece Picatinny rings.

Unfortunately the DNZ are only 1”.

Edit: thought the Wheeler might work, but only for round back.

Blue Avenger
02-07-2022, 11:44 PM
My Rifle is a 110 Long action 243
Pre accutrigger (90s ?)
Round /Flat

I should also ask if you have a series "J" action. If so you will need to order a custom to get a 1 piece.

Dave Hoback
02-08-2022, 12:05 AM
Just curious, what is drawing you to the “Screwed in Action” 1-piece over Picatinny 1-piece? Just curious? Is it strictly a “looks” thing for you..the style as it were? Which, hey, I completely understand. It’s a fact that while YES, the lot of us care about performance first, there is NO WAY that the look of EACH of our rigs does not hold a great deal of importance. Anyone who says they don’t care about looks at all is durn LIAR!

Here is the DNZ Freedom Reaper 30mm mount, which I think is a better mount anyway. It uses 2-screws per side on EACH ring cap vs the 1-screw per side of the Game Reaper. Just more secure.
https://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Reaper-Picantinny-Mount-Black/dp/B001F0GH1A/ref=pd_di_sccai_5/147-0754972-0138654?pd_rd_w=Rd185&pf_rd_p=c9443270-b914-4430-a90b-72e3e7e784e0&pf_rd_r=P20KYK60H0JJ4XZH46B9&pd_rd_r=26d2fe6f-68e1-47ae-a779-f8fc375f563c&pd_rd_wg=lf5KG&pd_rd_i=B001F0GH1A&psc=1

Dave Hoback
02-08-2022, 12:18 AM
I’ll warn against rings that “move” or allow shimming to adjust either windage or elevation. They require many more moving parts and just adds to tolerance stacking. Not a good idea for precision. It’s very OLD, dated technology. Just not needed today with new tech in optics. A 30mm tube scope and 20MOA has is enough to Zero and reach out well past 1000yds most of the time. The Burris work fine, but honestly there are other options I’d use first in the SAME price point as the Burris. Just an observation of many years doing.

Highbrass
02-08-2022, 09:44 AM
The main reason I like the DNZ one piece mount is it (usually) allows the scope to sit a bit lower. I dislike having to raise my head/ cheek off the stock to see thru the scope. As I said in my OP I have had great luck with DNZ on my R700s. It also has a clean look.
As it appears I may be stuck with a weaver rail and rings or one piece rail mount.

Dave Hoback
02-08-2022, 11:47 AM
Ok, I was wondering if you thought that. The scope sitting LOWER with a screw to Action mount is a false notion. A 50mm objective scope can go only SO low before it hits the barrel. There are Picatinny scope rings which keep it the obligatory 1/8”-1/4” above the barrel.

I prefer the scope sitting a bit higher because I rather use a cheek-rest, getting a perfect sight picture for me & as it allows greater elevation travel. I like my rings/scope mount base-center height at about 1.3”-1.5”.

bsekf
02-09-2022, 11:55 AM
Picatinny rail and Burris 30mm Signature Z rings.

Dave Hoback
02-09-2022, 12:52 PM
If price is a large deciding factor, the Arken 30mm rings are one of the best deals I’ve seen. They are made using super strong 7075-t6 Billet, use 2-screw per side caps & are simple. These on a Warne 7075 Pic. rail is a combo that is hard to beat. https://www.amazon.com/Arken-Optics-Various-Precision-Shooting/dp/B08BJD8HWL/ref=sr_1_87?crid=3P892USV2AR5B&keywords=30mm%2BScope%2Brings%2B7075-t6&qid=1644423907&sprefix=30mm%2Bscope%2Brings%2B7075-t6%2Caps%2C40&sr=8-87&th=1&psc= (https://www.amazon.com/Arken-Optics-Various-Precision-Shooting/dp/B08BJD8HWL/ref=sr_1_87?crid=3P892USV2AR5B&keywords=30mm%2BScope%2Brings%2B7075-t6&qid=1644423907&sprefix=30mm%2Bscope%2Brings%2B7075-t6%2Caps%2C40&sr=8-87&th=1&psc=1)

It’s wise to stay away from rings made of 6061 Aluminum. Just for rings. While many 1-piece scope MOUNTS & most Chassis are made from 6061...this is fine because these components have the extra mass to counter act the softer, less ridged strength when compared to 7075-T6 Billet Aluminum. (7075-t6 stronger than steel in fact.) A pair of rings however, do not have the extra mass, so those made from 6061 are just inherently weaker. You will find the majority of cheaper rings from China are usually made from 6061 Aluminum. And since high quality rings can be found in very close to same price range in BOTH 6061 & the much stronger 7075, choosing the weaker 6061 can NOT be credited to performance, but rather either brand loyalty or for more pleasing aesthetics to one’s sight.

Robinhood
02-09-2022, 03:51 PM
Don't mix and match Weaver and Picatinny, If you want your scope low use a low profile rail rather than a high profile. You said best option, That opens the ring options up but the rail still has to be for the flat back.

Sometimes the flat backs where great working actions but the rear "flat shelf" left a little to be desired as far as flat goes. Snug the front screws of the rail down and see how well the rear of the rail sits on the flat. Shim or bed the rail rather than twisting it if needed.

You never said what scope you have.

RCE1
02-09-2022, 05:08 PM
Burris has introduced a "tactical" version of the Signature rings, their Signature XTR rings, which use their plastic insert systems but are a bit beefier in design than the Zee rings. I'll probably check them out next time I need to mount something. I like the plastic inserts as I've never had a scope marked by them and the system allows a bit of fine tuning the scope in the mounts without using up elevation and windage.

want2ride
02-09-2022, 09:03 PM
Burris has introduced a "tactical" version of the Signature rings, their Signature XTR rings, which use their plastic insert systems but are a bit beefier in design than the Zee rings. I'll probably check them out next time I need to mount something. I like the plastic inserts as I've never had a scope marked by them and the system allows a bit of fine tuning the scope in the mounts without using up elevation and windage.
Those are my favorite rings. They are just rock solid, and the ability to add in some elevation is just fantastic. I have two sets on 34 mm and two sets on 30 mm scopes ( If i recall, 6.5 Creedmoor, 300 WSM, 7x57 and 28 nosler) and have not had any issues. Never sliding, never marking up a scope and never any scope issues from too much squeezing. They just work. But then again, i have never had an issue with any scope ring i have ever bought from cheap Amazon, UTG, Vortex tactical and pro, Burris XTR, Burris Signature, Steiner with the bubble built in, Seekins, Warne, Talley and Weaver ... Never a problem. But the Burris Signature rings that come in that fancy box are my favorite because of the cant feature.

Dave Hoback
02-09-2022, 09:25 PM
You know, that’s actually a pretty good point. As long as good material is used, and even the CHEAP CHINESIUM rings/mounts are made from steel, or 6061 Aluminum, as both are inexpensive materials to begin with. The other this machining consistency. Which can be checked easily with the inexpensive scope ring Alignment tool. As long as these criteria are met, the rings or mount in question will give good performance.

But I won’t lie.. I am a creature of habit. And it is difficult to see past certain things.

Revoliver
02-10-2022, 09:02 PM
I've been really pleased with the Burris XTR rings.

Highbrass
02-14-2022, 07:09 PM
Most of my scopes are 30 mm
I have a couple of 34mm Arken, which I like except they are very heavy.
My favorites are my Athlon Ares 4.5x27 which i have several of.
On this particular rifle I will likely use a Blackhound 4x14 for now.
This rifle is probably going to be my switch barrel test mule that I use for testing my handloads.
I also need a better stock for this rifle. I am giving a serious look at the Hogue overmold with the aluminum chassis.
If anyone has any experience with this stock I would love to hear your opinions.

Dave Hoback
02-14-2022, 07:40 PM
I just picked up a US Optics TS-20 with 34mm maintube. It’s just 29oz. But, if a 1/4lb. either way makes a difference, than it would seem going incredibly light is your prerogative.

South Prairie jim
02-14-2022, 09:46 PM
I use a EGW -0- Moa rail and high mounts on a Savage 12 in 6 br Norma , the scope is a Sightron 8-32x56. I shoot to 600 yards with no problems, at a thousand I need the extra -20- moa to stay optically centered

02-16-2022, 09:53 PM
Huge fan of Warne use their xskel mounts on all ar's. I've had zero complaints with their mountain tech rings on an egw 20moa base.

geezerhood
02-17-2022, 05:29 PM
Picatinny rail and Burris 30mm Signature Z rings.
Excellent rings that would be my first choice for a smaller ring option with a well made Picatinny rail.

I've been really pleased with the Burris XTR rings.

Even better are the Burris XTR Signature rings which is my number one ring choice by a huge margin. They are significantly bigger with six screw tops, though not that much heavier, about 1 ounce per ring, than the steel Zee Rings. The XTR Signatures are a quantum leap over the original Signature Zee rings which have a lot to be desired in the crude notch that allows bending of the metal to contact the base. Though I have only had one set where that tab broke off in about 25 years of using them. The new QD style Signature Zee clamping mechanism with a separate plate is a big improvement in the clamping department. They need to implement that floating plate on the original style with a small hex nut on there for those who don't want a big locking lever hanging off the ring.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting-systems/rings/zee-rings
https://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting-systems/rings/zee-rings

I try to use Burris Signature rings of some type, whenever I can and they have never let me down. With up to 40 MOA of adjustment, no need to lap, less chance of damaging the scope tube, and with the XTR series, a virtually stress free mounting to the rail as well as no stress between the rings and the scope. No other ring maker comes close at any price.