PDA

View Full Version : Benchmark Barels

Rifleman51
11-27-2010, 02:41 PM
When it comes to precision barrels, in my opinion, Benchmark is turning out the best barrels available.
f your looking for the most accurite barrel available, give the Benchmark a good look.
They actually taper a very small amount from the breach to the muzzle end of the barrel. This helps with the accuracy and makes for more consistant velocities.

It seems at different times that different barrel manufacturers have the best. Benchmark barrels have the best interior finish available. Most barrels are drilled once and then reamed to very close to the final size before rifling. Benchmark is double drilling their barrels for less stress to the metal and then precision reaming them.

The owner will not tell how he is reducing the diameter of the interior of the barrels, but if you were to measuse one, the taper, though very slight, is even all the way down as far as the amount it is reduced.

My friend who now has the Savagegunsmithing business recently built a rifle for a long range shooter based off a Savage action that now holds the unofficial 3000 yard record of 10 shots within a 24 inch circle using a benchmark barrel and bronze bullets that he designed himself and had made on a CNC lathe. It was chambered in .338 Lapua
It was a club shoot, not an NRA shoot or it would have been an official worlds record.

Anyway, if your after the best accuracy, check out the Benchmark barrels. The best barrel seems to change from time to time as manufacturers make changes, Benchmark is on top at this time.

John K

WYcoyote
11-28-2010, 01:00 PM
I like hearing your opinion on Benchmark barrels. They are rebarreling a M70 Winchester 300 Win Mag for me right now, and am considering using them for a 6.5 build for my Savage 111 action.
Info on them is kind of hard to dig up but everything I could find was excellent.

Rifleman51
11-28-2010, 03:22 PM
Sometimes it's just the little details that make a barrel more accurate than another brand. The very slight taper from the breach to the muzzle is one of the best ideas that I think anyone has come up with.

Just think if a barrel has a slight tight spot 1/3rd of the way down the barrel. Now the bullet has been squeezed to that size and does not seal it's best the rest of the way down the barrel.
By very tightly controlling the barrel diameter, then slightly (I think we are talking in the 10 thousanths range) squeezing down the bullet as it goes down the bore, you are insuring that the base of the bullet has the best seal possible. Then as long as the muzzle is perfectly cut, the ball will fly streight and true. It does make a difference, especially to the comp shooter.

Double drilling also helps a lot by not putting near as much stress in the metal of the barrel.

Their QC is fantastic, so you end up getting the most accurate barrel possible.

Look down the bore of one also, it's so nice it brings tears to the eyes of any good gunsmith.

John K

358Hammer
11-29-2010, 04:44 PM
John

Are you speaking about the 338 Rogue based upon the 378 Weatherby case necked down and improved in regards to the unofficial 3000 yard World record?

Would that be Scott at savagegunsmithing@yahoo.com

I have quite a few Benchmark barrels now (6) everyone of them are pure joy to shoot. Boringly accurate every time. The new Barrels Jim @ northland shooters Supply is getting from Kreiger @ $100. cheaper than the Benchmark are going to shoot right with anything out there if one does not want to wait for the others to make a barrel.

Rifleman51
12-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Yes, It's Scott at Savagegunsmithing.

I'm a retired gunsmith and know Scott pretty well, he's about the best gunsmith I have ever seen. His rifles really shoot because he attends to the little details.
heck, he even has my .22 BRJ shooting in the low.1" range, 5 shots at 50 Yds on a good shooting day.

The guy is fantastic, his IQ is about off the charts.

John K

wrvet05
03-20-2011, 11:22 PM
Im new too the sight so i was very taken when i saw this post cause i had just spoken with Scott on the phone last week. When he told me about his shooting, he is someone i will guarantee will have my business when its needed. He was able to answer all my questions and then some. Best thing about it he's within driving distance. If its optics your wondering about i will tell you this, He recommended the horus vision optics.