PDA

View Full Version : Considering Savage - Your input is welcome

GreasyChi
02-05-2022, 11:56 PM
Hey folks,

Just getting into firearms since my gf bought me my first firearm this Christmas. A Winchester Wildcat. Now I'm looking for my first centre fire. It's between Tikka T3x, Savage impulse and Savage 110 Ultralight.

I'm hesitant about the impulse because it's got the 20 moa base machined on and my scope is in mils. I'm worried I'll run into trouble "crossing the streams". I'm more seriously looking at the ultralight. Wondering if its possible to change the bottom metal to something that accepts AICS 10 rounders without too much trouble? Any input before I pull the trigger on getting my first centre fire? Application is for hunting, coyotes and up using 308 within 500m.

Thanks in advance for the insight!

GaCop
02-06-2022, 08:23 AM
Welcome to the group. I've been a Savage fan for many, many years but gotta admit the Tikka is a great rifle. Buying a new rifle like the Ultralight and then immediately having to pay additionally to up grade a new rifle doesn't make sense. I'd go with the Tikka. As much as I love the older Savages I'm totally fed up with Savages crappy magazines that have to be tweeked to make them perform reliably.

GreasyChi
02-06-2022, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the input. The magazine upgrade isn't super pressing, just wanted to know if it would be possible in the future. 4+1 would be just fine to start. I'd probably be doing the same thing to the tikka. Are they similar in accuracy and precision?

Hey folks,

Just getting into firearms since my gf bought me my first firearm this Christmas. A Winchester Wildcat. Now I'm looking for my first centre fire. It's between Tikka T3x, Savage impulse and Savage 110 Ultralight.

I'm hesitant about the impulse because it's got the 20 moa base machined on and my scope is in mils. I'm worried I'll run into trouble "crossing the streams". I'm more seriously looking at the ultralight. Wondering if its possible to change the bottom metal to something that accepts AICS 10 rounders without too much trouble? Any input before I pull the trigger on getting my first centre fire? Application is for hunting, coyotes and up using 308 within 500m.

Welcome to the group. I've been a Savage fan for many, many years but gotta admit the Tikka is a great rifle. Buying a new rifle like the Ultralight and then immediately having to pay additionally to up grade a new rifle doesn't make sense. I'd go with the Tikka. As much as I love the older Savages I'm totally fed up with Savages crappy magazines that have to be tweeked to make them perform reliably.

ragsflh
02-06-2022, 10:15 AM
welcome aboard

drybean
02-06-2022, 12:26 PM
Welcome aboard

wbm
02-06-2022, 01:46 PM
I'd go with the Tikka. As much as I love the older Savages I'm totally fed up with Savages crappy magazines that have to be tweeked to make them perform reliably.

+1

Robinhood
02-06-2022, 02:21 PM
Tikka. If you want to upgrade, great options with stocks, bottom metal/mags, barrels are available, trigger options are good.

I honestly think Savages fit and finish has improved. The problems I am seeing with modern Savages is their cheap firing pin spring setup and their magazine issues. I am still a staunch Savage guy, but if you are looking for a well respected rifle in all circles, go Tikka

Stumpkiller
02-06-2022, 03:18 PM
Hey folks,

Welcome. Fear not the 20 MOA base. Think of it as a 5.8 Mil base if that helps. Your choice of scope won’t care. That just refers to the base having been machined purposely angled so that you use less internal scope elevation clearance when zeroing a scope for longer distances.

Can’t help you with the new bottom metal. I restocked my M11 and used an EABCO insert and a 10 round Snyder Mags modified G3 magazine. Upgraded my 4 rounders with new “button” releases.

I’d be torn between the Tikka and the Lightweight. I think it would come down to fit . . . though neither will likely ever be shot offhand.

Dave Hoback
02-08-2022, 06:26 PM
Welcome on board, friend. I agree with Robin. The Tikka is the way to go for those like you & as a new shooter. You will develop your own taste in rifles in time. I believe Savages are for those looking for a great, inexpensive, “budget” rifle, or those, like Robin, myself & many others here who are rifle builders/Firearms builder, SavageSmiths/Gunsmiths & simply love Savage Actions. I think I’m one of the more EXTREME, as I not only really enjoy my Savage rifles through the years, but I have no problem spending a bit of coin, over time, to make mySavage exactly as I want it. There are many who think I’m crazy, even “make fun”, because the money I spend upgrading my Savage Action, I could have spent to build a Custom Action. In these people’s minds, upgrading a Savage is stupid, and if you don’t, YOU too are stupid for keeping it. Not what I believe. If I wanted a Custom Action, I’d get one.

But again, for New shooters who just want a rifle, I typically recommend Savages for the most Budget conscious, a Howa/Remington if you have a bit more to spend & a Tikka if you were planning to spend $1000+ anyway.

Robinhood
02-09-2022, 04:15 PM
Had to do a price check on Tikka T3x's. 703.00 at eurooptic.com.

Dave Hoback
02-10-2022, 11:49 AM
Yup. Good deal. I thought about Tikka for time. Honestly though, they have flaws like any other. People go on & on about How “SMOOTH” the bolt is in the Action. “It’s SOOOO smoo’ve!” And yes, they are. But they have a poor design recoil lug setup. And while they are 3-lug bolt heads, the lugs are minuscule. And then there is the styling. Of course that is objective. Personally I think they are ugly as sin! But others find them beautiful. They do shoot wonderfully though. (And you won’t be ridiculed if you go to Snipershide(out) forum, LOL!)

How bout this one on sale...$599!!! https://www.eurooptic.com/Tikka-T3x-Lite-Compact-65-Creedmoor-20-1-8-JRTXE382C.aspx But I’d still have one of the special sales, Savage 12FV for $399!

GreasyChi
02-10-2022, 08:45 PM
Thanks everyone for the awesome advice. What are people's thoughts on the Savage Impulse then? Looks pretty badass being straight pull and all.

Welcome on board, friend. I agree with Robin. The Tikka is the way to go for those like you & as a new shooter. You will develop your own taste in rifles in time. I believe Savages are for those looking for a great, inexpensive, “budget” rifle, or those, like Robin, myself & many others here who are rifle builders/Firearms builder, SavageSmiths/Gunsmiths & simply love Savage Actions. I think I’m one of the more EXTREME, as I not only really enjoy my Savage rifles through the years, but I have no problem spending a bit of coin, over time, to make mySavage exactly as I want it. There are many who think I’m crazy, even “make fun”, because the money I spend upgrading my Savage Action, I could have spent to build a Custom Action. In these people’s minds, upgrading a Savage is stupid, and if you don’t, YOU too are stupid for keeping it. Not what I believe. If I wanted a Custom Action, I’d get one.

But again, for New shooters who just want a rifle, I typically recommend Savages for the most Budget conscious, a Howa/Remington if you have a bit more to spend & a Tikka if you were planning to spend $1000+ anyway.

Dave Hoback
02-12-2022, 08:05 AM
The Impulse is new, so you won’t likely see many knowledges Firearms enthusiasts flock to it. Also, I doubt many who love Bolt Actions will be fans. I’m not. It has some things I really don’t like. The first is obviously the straight pull. Not a fan. The only “Straight Pull” I want is on my AR15’s! And honestly, if I wanted a straight pull single reloaded, I’d just build an AR10 & disable the gas system. The other thing I don’t like, and really the looming factor, the Action is made of Aluminum. “But the AR15 Receiver is ALSO made of Aluminum”, you say. Yes, but the AR uses 7075-t6 Billet where I’m certain Savage is using 6061. 6061 is fine for many things...handles, Hand guards, Chassis, buttstocks. But IMHO, it has NO place in an Action/Reciever. It’s much too soft. Finally, is the price.. cheapest one I’m seeing is like $1300! UHG, no thanks!

But it’s NEW, and will undoubtedly draw some fans. And that’s fine. They seem to shoot well, so that’s good. I’m just set I my ways on many things.(for many reasons)