PDA

View Full Version : which one to not get

Pages : [1] 2

dey59
02-04-2022, 10:35 PM
i'm going to gun shows and pawn shops over the next couple of months i'm on the hunt for an older savage bolt action 110 , 10 or any savage bolt action in 30 06 308 win and 223 rem my main criteria is wood stock and iron sights. i own several savage bolt actins now and have always been a big savage fan. my main question is are there any years or models to stay clear of like when there quality wasn't the best. thanks also either blind mag or floor plate no clips.

Blue Avenger
02-04-2022, 10:45 PM
the one you do not want has a bulge in the barrel with the rear site dove tailed into it.

dey59
02-04-2022, 10:58 PM
whats the reason that these aren't good. thanks

Dave Hoback
02-04-2022, 11:21 PM
I’m curious as well. Not familiar with any older Model 110 that uses a rear sight dove tailed into a “bulge” in the barrel. Not quite sure what that means.

Robinhood
02-05-2022, 01:26 AM
This rifle has the bulged ring on the barrel with a dovetail sight.
https://images.gunsinternational.com/listings_sub/acc_54/gi_100888910/SAVAGE-MODEL-110-30-06_100888910_54_8EE61C80595C840E.JPG

mnbogboy2
02-05-2022, 02:49 AM
Dey59 the reason these old actions aren't desirable is parts availability. Triggers are different for 1 aftermarket triggerscare easier to find for the newer style actions. Barrels on the older ones have a recess for the bolt head cut in the breech face and aftermarket preffit barrels will not work with that bolt face configuration. The standing ejector is another feature that does not work with the newer style bolt heads which are readily available as new or aftermarket. Trigger, barrel and bolt parts. The bolt body is also different with the hole holding the bolt head is bored at a 90° angle to the newer style.
Making changing bolt heads for different calibers a bigger issue. Aftermarket fluted bolt bodies will not work in the same original rifle. The lump in the barrel will not work in some aftermarket stocks without extra in letting for the lump/bulge.
These older pre 1966 rifles are ok for a donor but because of the lack of aftermarket support they ate not the best choice. I've reworked a couple of them and they are usable and I would like to find another reciever to play with.é

PhilC
02-05-2022, 10:56 AM
The pre-66 110 is unique unto itself. There is nothing wrong with them, in fact, they are commonly good shooters. The problem is practically nothing exists for the pre-66 110s and virtually no parts will interchange with post '66 110s.

If you want a rifle with aftermarket support, select a post '66 model.

Dave Hoback
02-05-2022, 01:55 PM
Oh, ok-ok... THAT one. Duh! My mind was drifting. I was trying to think of a Savage with a BULGE on the ACTION, for a rear site. I came across several of those pictured with the the barrel mounted sight.. just didn’t even think about it.
Yeah, I wouldn’t want that one. But then.. I don’t like open sights on rifles. Open sights are for pistols.

Blue Avenger
02-05-2022, 03:09 PM
ohh and the one that has a cast receiver instead of machined. there all warped!

Dave Hoback
02-05-2022, 03:17 PM
Yes, don’t bother with the Cast type, unless you are a collector. There was a thread not too long ago though, a member here inherited one I believe, and it was a UNICORN! It was a Cast Action with both the Scope Bases & Recoil Lug CAST as one piece with the Action.

This one
https://i.ibb.co/pzShWMF/C5-CFF4-EC-F854-40-AE-9-CA2-F8-E0-BFEF2840.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

And subsequent article from Jim.
https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?509-Cast-Savage-110-Actions-Yes-They-Do-Exist!

jonbearman
02-05-2022, 08:36 PM
If the serial number starts with f or G or anything higher you cant go wrong.

sharpshooter
02-05-2022, 08:42 PM
The early F prefix were shady, until you got to about 500,000.

dey59
02-06-2022, 04:16 AM
thanks for the replies I'm looking for the 50000 up to just before the accutrigger in 2003. I have 3 rifles with the accutrigger and they are fine but for these rifles I want wood stock iron sights and standard trigger. I also own an E with the cast receiver with iron sights and wood stock that shoots just fine but I don't care for the scope mounts there all the time. just a thing that bugs me. I was aware of the difference in the earlier models. but wasn't sure when they got there act together after the reorganization.

Highbrass
02-06-2022, 07:40 PM
Personally I look for 110 with the 5.062 screw spacing top bolt release pre accutrigger. probably 90's manufacture.
Very versatile and easy to work on or modify.
Matter of fact I bought one today in 243 for $350 . It's going to be my new reloading test mule!

Dave Hoback
02-06-2022, 07:48 PM
They are ALL easy to work on/modify. Save for the couple previously addressed earlier in the thread.

dey59
02-07-2022, 09:26 PM
what the significance of the 5.062 spacing.

Dave Hoback
02-08-2022, 12:59 AM
Nothing. It’s been the standard Long Action screw spacing since 1958. So, one could say it’s the longest running. But the long Action receiver itself has gone through changes. It’s just the screw spacing that has remained all this time.

AZ_GUN_NUT
08-31-2022, 07:00 AM
Dey59 the reason these old actions aren't desirable is parts availability. Triggers are different for 1 aftermarket triggerscare easier to find for the newer style actions. Barrels on the older ones have a recess for the bolt head cut in the breech face and aftermarket preffit barrels will not work with that bolt face configuration. The standing ejector is another feature that does not work with the newer style bolt heads which are readily available as new or aftermarket. Trigger, barrel and bolt parts. The bolt body is also different with the hole holding the bolt head is bored at a 90° angle to the newer style.
Making changing bolt heads for different calibers a bigger issue. Aftermarket fluted bolt bodies will not work in the same original rifle. The lump in the barrel will not work in some aftermarket stocks without extra in letting for the lump/bulge.
These older pre 1966 rifles are ok for a donor but because of the lack of aftermarket support they ate not the best choice. I've reworked a couple of them and they are usable and I would like to find another reciever to play with.é

Actually that is not totally correct. All you need to do to install a new barrel is swap out the corresponding new style parts to make it work. Bolt body, bolt head, the rest of the bolt parts are exactly the same. Remove the old style ejector since the new bolt head will have the button ejector built in. The triggers are the same as on any pre-accutrigger rifle. Nothing at all wrong with the receivers as far as I know. Unless you can specifically say why these receivers are a NO GO?

Blue Avenger
09-03-2022, 05:04 PM
Actually that is not totally correct. All you need to do to install a new barrel is swap out the corresponding new style parts to make it work. Bolt body, bolt head, the rest of the bolt parts are exactly the same. Remove the old style ejector since the new bolt head will have the button ejector built in. The triggers are the same as on any pre-accutrigger rifle. Nothing at all wrong with the receivers as far as I know. Unless you can specifically say why these receivers are a NO GO?

may want to examine the bolt cross pin orientation.

AZ_GUN_NUT
09-03-2022, 05:55 PM
may want to examine the bolt cross pin orientation.

I think that's is covered when you swap out the bolt head and body to the later style.