PDA

View Full Version : savage 110f vs winchester model 70 vs carl gustof

dey59
02-04-2022, 10:25 PM
i need some opinions i'm going to do some trading i have a savage 110f a winchester model 70 and a carl gustof sweedish with double set triggers all in 30 06 please compare these 3 rifles and give me your best opinions of them in value, accuracy and all around desirability. thanks for your help. the model 70 is a post 64.

Nahum
02-05-2022, 12:38 AM
Without giving value or quality comments I simply say the Winchester would be the last to leave me but I have a soft spot for them beyond reason.

Dave Hoback
02-05-2022, 02:46 PM
The Winchester 70 has a pedegree & was America’s LONGEST running produced Centerfire rifle. Then Winchester stopped production of the Model 70, & the Savage 110 became the NEW leader as the USA’s longest running centerfire. The Carl Gustof is typical early century Swedish quality-Very nice. Is yours an M96 or M98? Not a fan of SET triggers personally, but Matthew Quigley approves! The Savage of course, is a Savage. What can ya say? Hated by many.. loved by area! I’m one of the ones who loves them.

Everything your asking is impossible for us to answer. Everything depends by & large on age, condition, etc. But I’ll give you MY feelings from what I know. All three are dependable. They will & can shoot very accurately. Accuracy as a whole, again will rest primarily on barrel throat condition. For value, the Winchester & Savage will fall into around the group, give or take $50 maybe. I wouldn’t spend over $400 for either, but prices what they are currently, you can likely get $500 for either. Now the Gustoff is a little tricky if it’s in very GOOD, shootable condition with good wood & bluing on parts, the market has them averaged at around $980. BUT* This was an older article. And once again, with the pricing on everything skyrocketing in Joe Biden’s DEMONcrat America, I’d expect you could likely sell it to a collector or fan of Carl Gustof or Swedish rifles in general, for maybe $1200+.

Blue Avenger
02-05-2022, 03:04 PM
I have not shot them, So i can not say which is better. I have no history as to random buys or family ownership. If i was going to walk up and pick one it would be the Gustoff, condition being at least average. Winchester would have to be a pre 64 before i gave it any thought over the others.

dey59
02-06-2022, 04:32 AM
thanks for the replies the model 70 is in very good condition and shoots great. the carl gustaf is just short of mint a Swedish made 1900 action that is scary accurate. I went to the gun show today and had them in the truck and just couldn't bring myself to letting them go. I like the winchester for the history and elegance its just a classic. the carl gustaf is just on a whole different level and I'll never have another rifle of that quality. but I will always be a savage guy. so I'll keep looking and just buy them when I find them.

dey59
02-06-2022, 04:39 AM
I have to agree I got the carl gustaf from my neighbor because of the triggers but as great as they are I'd be just as happy with a good single trigger thank goodness it's a shooter thanks for the help.

charlie b
02-06-2022, 05:48 PM
Good choice. My keeper would be the Carl Gustaf. But, I love well made pre-WWII guns. Post 64 Model 70's and Savages are just run of the mill rifles. Sell and replace with whatever else you want.