PDA

View Full Version : Smooth barrel nuts anyone?

Newtosavage
02-02-2022, 03:43 PM
I look back at the time I spent messing with smooth barrel nuts and now I wonder why I went through all that frustration and wasted time. The smooth nut removal tool is nearly useless IMO. Actually worse than useless because the bolt breaks easily and if you overtighten it, you will just spin the whole barrel. Gah!

I guess I messed with them originally because I wanted to maintain that factory "sleek" look, but I am 100% over that now. I see a slotted barrel nut and to me at least, I breathe a sigh of relief. :D

Anyone still messing with the smooth nuts, and if so, I'm curious why.

Dave Hoback
02-02-2022, 05:34 PM
I have an eye on a specific style barrel nut. Was never a fan of the smooth in all honesty. I prefer the look of the tool gripping lines.

celltech
02-02-2022, 06:11 PM
I have mostly changed over to PVA barrel nuts...very nice quality for the price.

Dave Hoback
02-02-2022, 06:27 PM
Yeah, those are pretty slick. I’m gonna grab one of the International barrel nuts.

https://i.ibb.co/p2KdVQx/B85192-DD-2-DFC-4748-ACD9-845814-A8340-C.jpg (https://ibb.co/gyWJqd3)

sharpshooter
02-02-2022, 08:02 PM
I've never had any problems with removing smooth nuts. The fact is they are torqued to less than the splined nuts.

Newtosavage
02-02-2022, 11:00 PM
I've never had any problems with removing smooth nuts. The fact is they are torqued to less than the splined nuts.

Me either, ever since I started taking a pipe wrench to them and replacing them with a slotted nut. :D

strut64
02-03-2022, 06:46 AM
Ditto on the pipe wrench thing!!!!

Dave Hoback
02-03-2022, 09:42 AM
I only have very limited experience with the SMOOTH barrel nut on rifles. But same as others..never a problem with the grooved. Although, I do have quite a bit of experience with other types of compression torquing. Never a problem with anything else in compression type torque loosening. 360 degrees of surface tension provides a tremendous amount of torque yield. The tool slipping in this scenario, with the proper tools, almost always falls within the parameters of “user error”. From my experience that is.

Newtosavage
02-03-2022, 09:48 AM
I only have very limited experience with the SMOOTH barrel nut on rifles. But same as others..never a problem with the grooved. Although, I do have quite a bit of experience with other types of compression torquing. Never a problem with anything else in compression type torque loosening. 360 degrees of surface tension provides a tremendous amount of torque yield. The tool slipping in this scenario, with the proper tools, almost always falls within the parameters of “user error”. From my experience that is.
I'm sure that's correct. Back when I messed with the smooth nuts, I would overtighten the gripping tool and compress the nut onto the barrel threads. Then I would invariably spin the whole barrel and get frustrated beyond belief. One day I figured that out and stopped tightening that bolt so much. But then the tool slipped. sigh...

I'd love to see how they do it at the factory. Must have a specially designed tool.

dey59
02-06-2022, 01:03 PM
i like the look of the barrel and receiver that is smooth and sleek on my model 70 but I also like the barrel nut on the savage it just goes with it. and it drives the gun snobs crazy so thats a plus.

Dave Hoback
02-06-2022, 01:21 PM
It’s really never even an issue for me as I prefer a Chassis is Tube style forearm. But everyone has their preference. My good friend prefers wood, scoffing at Aluminum, Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber. He also prefers leather belts, holsters & such. I always make fun of him for choosing his Orgnics... with the WARPING, CREEPING nature of wood, and I kid, telling him I can smell something; that he should bury his DEAD, rotting holster, LOL!

But, God bless the many choices we have.