PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy an action?

Pages : [1] 2

Newtosavage
02-01-2022, 01:16 PM
I figured by now I would have seen one on the classifieds, but no such luck. Seems like folks aren't parting with their actions these days.

So I'm wondering where else to look for just a regular bottom bolt release 4.4", .308 bolt fact short action. I'm seriously thinking about just buying a 110 XP package just for the action and stock, but I hate to mess with having to sell the barrel and package scope just to get an action and stock.

Any ideas?

Northland Shooting Supply?

What about this "JAOutdoors" that I keep pulling up? Are they legit?

Surely I can find a bare action for under $400 these days, right?

South Prairie jim
02-01-2022, 01:51 PM
I may get flamed for saying …Any Remington 700 or clone will be light years ahead of a Savage action, especially when you consider the aftermarket support.

Newtosavage
02-01-2022, 02:05 PM
Now when you already have a Savage thread barrel that you really like and you just want to use it to build a rifle.

gkainz
02-01-2022, 09:27 PM
I bought one from JA Outdoors a while back. Nice guy, answered questions for me after the sale. Legit business.
Greg

gkainz
02-01-2022, 09:29 PM
Now when you already have a Savage thread barrel that you really like and you just want to use it to build a rifle.

I took it one step further back.
“When you end up with ammo and components from a garage sale for a caliber you don’t have a gun for…” start buying parts until you have enough to put together a rifle in that caliber!”

Balvar24
02-01-2022, 09:40 PM
I took it one step further back.
“When you end up with ammo and components from a garage sale for a caliber you don’t have a gun for…” start buying parts until you have enough to put together a rifle in that caliber!”

Heh. I've been hanging on to some stray .222 for this reason.

Dave Hoback
02-01-2022, 09:51 PM
Or maybe you just really LIKE Savage.... Ya know? Some of us just DO.

charlie b
02-01-2022, 10:32 PM
I'd look around pawn shops and such for used rifles as donors. The 'off' calibers are sometimes even a bit less, even these days.

Dave Hoback
02-02-2022, 12:50 AM
Don’t forget Gunbroker. That is where I purchased my last model 10 as a donor rifle. Picked up a low use 10, Accutrigger in 243Win, with a JUNIOR black/synthetic stock for $270 I believe it was. Stripped it to bare Action and proceeded with my build. Still the one I use now, rebarreled to 260 Rem. Ended up giving the 243 barrel & synthetic stock to two members here. Another plus. Got what I needed at a great price and was able to help out two other members here.

Dave Hoback
02-02-2022, 01:19 AM
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/922942140

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/922981761 (https://www.gunbroker.com/item/922981761)

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/922900434

Can find ‘em still. Although prices have gone up still good deal out there. Sometimes it requires patience & dedication. (Hawk-eyeing your bid)

Newtosavage
02-02-2022, 01:33 AM
I bought one from JA Outdoors a while back. Nice guy, answered questions for me after the sale. Legit business.
Greg
Cool. Thanks.

Newtosavage
02-02-2022, 01:34 AM

Guilty. Easy to work on and I love the Accutrigger.

Dave Hoback
02-02-2022, 06:01 AM
I do as well partner. I love working them over giving amazing trigger pull. That’s why I do them for free for members.

charlie b
02-02-2022, 10:44 AM
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/922942140

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/922981761 (https://www.gunbroker.com/item/922981761)

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/922900434

Can find ‘em still. Although prices have gone up still good deal out there. Sometimes it requires patience & dedication. (Hawk-eyeing your bid)

First one listed is interesting. The pawn shop has no idea what they are listing. They call it a semi-auto and don't list caliber up front (as if not important maybe?) and then point out the level, as if that is important. And the scope mount is called a rack.

Seems like a decent deal for a .308

South Prairie jim
02-02-2022, 11:20 AM
I own Savage rifles as well and if I knew how to post a picture I would, I also know that there is a limit to where a Savage will take you in competition where a barrel is a disposable item, even the stainless fluted barrel off one of mine I sold for a hundred bucks because that’s all anyone was willing to pay.
here’s a question’ if accutriggers were so great then why are people always replacing them?

Newtosavage
02-02-2022, 02:15 PM
Found a 110 "SR" with a fluted, threaded 24" 6.5 CM barrel and Vortex Diamondback scope locally for $599 today, so I bought it. They forgot to raise the price on those and it was the display model. Saved me about $50. Now to break it apart this evening. Anyone wanting a 24" fluted, threaded heavy sporter in 6.5 CM, send me a message. I will list it in the classifieds this evening. Same for the scope.

Thanks to all who replied.

Oh, and South Prairie Jim, I don't replace my accutriggers. But then all my rifles are hunting rifles. Quite honestly, I love them. So does my son. There is a reason they were copied by every single other major manufacturer.

Dave Hoback
02-02-2022, 02:34 PM
I own Savage rifles as well and if I knew how to post a picture I would, I also know that there is a limit to where a Savage will take you in competition where a barrel is a disposable item, even the stainless fluted barrel off one of mine I sold for a hundred bucks because that’s all anyone was willing to pay.
here’s a question’ if accutriggers were so great then why are people always replacing them?

I don’t care what “people” do. I simply like them myself. “Most” do what the Inter-MA-webs tell them to do. Most shooters see So & So well known Forum guy or Professional Competitor replaced such & such a part, and they want the SAME parts. (I’m not saying you do any of this, just that it does happen.)

Besides that, TRIGGERS have for ever been the thing shooters believe they need to replace, and especially to make LIGHT. I felt the same thing as a younger adult. But I didn’t have the $150, $200, $300+ to spend on aftermarket triggers for my firearms then. So very early on, I learned to modify triggers, PROPERLY! And then building 1911’s honed this skill to a fine edge. This is because ALL aftermarket 1911 triggers require being set up(Fitted)before install. There are no “drop in” 1911 triggers. At least not then. And I STILL wouldn’t use anything “drop in” for a 1911. Fitted parts only.

I’ve never said my worked over Accutriggers & 3-Screws are BETTER than any other Aftermarket trigger. Only that I can make them very nice, and very close, AT LEAST, to the Aftermarket options. And at almost NO extra cost.

Newtosavage
02-02-2022, 03:08 PM
I know this is off topic but I started the thread so I don't mind. :D

Dave, do you remove the blade from our Accutriggers or leave them in? I have no intention of modifying mine whatsoever (again, all my rifles are hunting rifles) but I'm curious.

Dave Hoback
02-02-2022, 05:52 PM
I leave it, BIG fan of Safe Action Triggers. I use a lighter spring for the blade, and a completely different trigger spring. Also dress the Trigger/Sear surfaces to perfect FLAT with my Ceramic water stones, & polish up to 6000grit. Same stones I use to sharpen the custom knives I make. I make Titanium washers & use them on the sides of the trigger to remove any side play. Finally, I turn down a portion of a 3/4” round head- set screw, 10-24. This is the thread size for the hole where the stock trigger spring goes. I use the set screw with the new spring over it, and adjust the screw to act as overtravel stop. Trigger is light, smooth as silk & breaks like an ice cycle over the fence railing! I do 3-screw triggers as well and make new bar springs of lighter gauge spring steel wire.

Newtosavage
02-02-2022, 06:05 PM
I leave it, BIG fan of Safe Action Triggers. I use a lighter spring for the blade, and a completely different trigger spring. Also dress the Trigger/Sear surfaces to perfect FLAT with my Ceramic water stones, & polish up to 6000grit. Same stones I use to sharpen the custom knives I make. I make Titanium washers & use them on the sides of the trigger to remove any side play. Finally, I turn down a portion of a 3/4” round head set screw, 10-24. This is the thread size for the hole where the stock trigger spring goes. I use the set screw with the new spring over it, and adjust the screw to act as overtravel stop. Trigger is light, smooth as silk & breaks like an ice cycle over the fence railing! I do 3-screw triggers as well and make new bar springs of lighter gauge spring steel wire.
That sounds great Dave. The overtravel setting is something I may be interested in someday. But again, mine are just field hunting rifles, well used if I'm lucky.